PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 present pitch condition
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: present pitch condition  (Read 3415 times)

groundsman

present pitch condition
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:28:16 AM »

After a chat with ecky last week i have took into account the comments off the fans about not knowing what was going on with the condition off the pitch prior to games when the weather is bad , i have offered to come on the fans forum to keep the fans up to date with the pitch as long as comments back are positive and helpful and also to inform the fans off any help needed to make the pitch playable in poor conditions as i am only one person and can only do so much when the conditions are really bad . As off last friday the 8th off jan we had a coverage off at least 6 inches off snow on the pitch , by monday it was down to 4 inch and by today the 15th was down to about 1 and a half inch , we have been monitering the weather on a few different sites etc as you know it changes a lot with the view to this weekend and next week, we have took the decision not to remove the snow from the pitch due to the fact we think the remainder will melt over the next couple off days with the warmer weather. Also the problem you face is that all the people needed to do this would be hard to get together and also the long term damage it could do to the pitch with so many people on it when frozen could have problems later in the season , as our next game is a week away i feel this is the best option available to us yes we will have water on the pitch when it melts but that is something we can do something about and the drains were flowing today on being checked . The pitch is still frozen in a lot off places but soft in others and places i cleared on tues are still hard so the decision does seem justified at the minute to leave the snow as the pitch would still be hard anyway as wrexham have found out twice , i will update on monday as soon as i can and will answer questions if any the best i can and lets all hope for 3 points tomorrow when we can finally play again i hope this is a help to you all .     yours groundsman

joe

Re: present pitch condition
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post it,much appreciated.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »

Thanks for posting....good info that tells us fans exactly why the snow wasn't removed for example....before we come on all indignant asking why the hell it hadn't been!!!!!.....many thanks for keeping us informed.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

Great info, I imagine most of the ice will have gone with all this rain.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »

There was a match in February, I think at Leicester, where they used a cover to protect the pitch from snow and ice. It worked and the pitch was perfect after they brushed the snow off the cover and removed it. However they brushed the snow leaving it around the perimiter of the pitch, and the match was postponed due to health and safety.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

Thanks for this info, it's really good of you to take the time to post on here. I think I also speak for everyone when I say what a fantastic playing surface we've had in recent years and we truly appreciate all your hard work.
Come on Alty!

bigcol

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

+1 to the vote of thanks.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »

Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

All information is good information in my opinion.

Longman

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Also I see Portsmouth got a load of volunteers down to Fratton Park to help clear the pitch and that's ended up being postponed anyway!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:03:02 PM by Longman »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

Thanks for this info, it's really good of you to take the time to post on here. I think I also speak for everyone when I say what a fantastic playing surface we've had in recent years and we truly appreciate all your hard work.

I can only echo what ALTY 1981 has said.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »

Thanks for the update and dedication to making the playing surface at Moss Lane one of the best in the North West.

Don't take the criticism to heart, most people appreciate all the hard work that is done, but as is often the case in life, it is the moaners and critics who shout the loudest
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:01:23 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

VofD

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »

Totally agree.

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

this is so so helpful. 

Now we know what the plans are to recover from the weather.

Great job, well done.

jimmyhank

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »

Thanks for the update "groundsman". All your efforts are very much appreciated.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »

Anyone just watched Colchester v Norwich and seen the state of that pitch.
@AltyDaz
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 present pitch condition