PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 National League allows 3G pitches
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: National League allows 3G pitches  (Read 19907 times)

bighairedmike

Re: National League allows 3G pitches
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »

I'd say it's ok for a half decent amateur striker

Anyone we'd know?

6 foot 3, not very mobile, not played for a while, but on his day is superb, as summed up by the 20 yarder against city...  ;)

itbegan

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »

Falkirk were on TV the other night they installed an artificial pitch http://www.greenfields.eu/sports-news/falkirk-fc-installs-technology-artificial-pitch/ the pitch looked really good, I agree it changes the game slightly, but not as much a waterlogged pitch. I would much rather see a ball bounce than stick in mud, or even worse spending Saturday afternoon in shops.

This
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/35339809
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHg6zFH_gNI

Also the case study points out that the 1st team and U20 will play and train on it the pitch reducing costs.

Beaver

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »

I'm all for it. I play on 3g pitches every week, my knees are better than ever and i've suffered with them endlessly.

Its a bit different, but why is everyone convinced that its a bad difference? Players who play on it regularly will be used to the run of the ball in the same way I'm sure Gresley players were in the 90's playing on their 5% gradient pitch or Lancaster on their bog of a pitch or even Alty players in years gone by. There's a Maidestone fan in my office who says he thought it was a disaster at first and now realises he was just blinkered, you wont hear any complaints down there.

Grass pitches play well and look great about 30% of a season at our level and after November its an absolute gamble. A 'great' pitch is one that plays not too far from what a modern 3g/4g pitch plays.

The business case for the club if we can get a grant to have it is probably very positive and after about a season and a half we'd have forgotten what all the fuss was about. Why not be the first in greater Manchester to have a half decent stadium with a 3g pitch. It wont be long before its in massive demand.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »

Given that we already train on a 3G pitch at BTH, I wouldn't think it would be that much of a culture shock to our players. Whether it's the future for us or not, I couldn't honestly offer an informed opinion, but I think at the very least it is something we should give consideration to.
Come on Alty!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »

I'm all for it. I play on 3g pitches every week, my knees are better than ever and i've suffered with them endlessly.

Its a bit different, but why is everyone convinced that its a bad difference? Players who play on it regularly will be used to the run of the ball in the same way I'm sure Gresley players were in the 90's playing on their 5% gradient pitch or Lancaster on their bog of a pitch or even Alty players in years gone by. There's a Maidestone fan in my office who says he thought it was a disaster at first and now realises he was just blinkered, you wont hear any complaints down there.

Grass pitches play well and look great about 30% of a season at our level and after November its an absolute gamble. A 'great' pitch is one that plays not too far from what a modern 3g/4g pitch plays.

The business case for the club if we can get a grant to have it is probably very positive and after about a season and a half we'd have forgotten what all the fuss was about. Why not be the first in greater Manchester to have a half decent stadium with a 3g pitch. It wont be long before its in massive demand.

What the hell has your knobbly knees got to do with this ?? X
ParkINson's red and white army

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »

The first team rarely train at bth anymore, to expensive at £90/hr plus Vat. Believe they train at Stretford now on the 4g there. Will be cheaper, they usually charge around £50/hr from when I have booked it.

I am not a fan of 3g for first team games, but if it stacks up as a financial benefit for the club then it needs to be considered.

Call offs are not impossible though, they can freeze up as bth did on Wednesday night and clearing snow can be an issue and around the ground and streets.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »

This is possibly rather short-term, but an artificial pitch would also suit the way we play at the moment.

I can't remember the last time we played well on a bad pitch!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »

This is possibly rather short-term, but an artificial pitch would also suit the way we play at the moment.

I can't remember the last time we played well on a bad pitch!

Probably the 1998/99 season when we figured out that all we had to do was kick it into the corner at the Golf Road end and the ball would stick in the mud.

I think this was the part of the pitch that became waterlogged, leading to an unsuccessful attempt to cure it involving a mattress. I think Ecky can possibly shed further light on this?  :)
Come on Alty!

GB Alty

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 07:14:15 PM »

Given that we already train on a 3G pitch at BTH, I wouldn't think it would be that much of a culture shock to our players. Whether it's the future for us or not, I couldn't honestly offer an informed opinion, but I think at the very least it is something we should give consideration to.
All teams train on 3G these days, why should we give it consideration because Maidstone and Sutton have?

Our pitch is bad, so lets f**k off playing on grass?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Football can get stuck in tradition sometimes. The benefits are there for all to see.

The only downsides: the initial cost is very steep (if no grant is forthcoming) and the potential risk of neighbours petitioning against the noise and light pollution most evenings. We should at least investigate the viability.

Speaking as a local resident, I suspect that the inhabitants of those properties which were constructed on the former site of Chequers/the car park might, understandably, not take too kindly to the thought of an increase in the use of the pitch and floodlights.

Plus the parking situation would really need to be addressed, as too many people already fail to use the official car park and simply resort to abandoning their vehicles alongside the CSH on Moss Lane (including individuals associated with the club who really ought to know better).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:40:12 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Football can get stuck in tradition sometimes. The benefits are there for all to see.

The only downsides: the initial cost is very steep (if no grant is forthcoming) and the potential risk of neighbours petitioning against the noise and light pollution most evenings. We should at least investigate the viability.

Speaking as a local resident, I suspect that the inhabitants of those properties which were constructed on the former site of Chequers/the car park might, understandably, not take too kindly to the thought of an increase in the use of the pitch and floodlights.

Plus the parking situation would really need to be addressed, as too many people already fail to use the official car park and simply resort to abandoning their vehicles alongside the CSH on Moss Lane (including individuals associated with the club who really ought to know better).

Nimby 😉

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:08 AM »

Nimby 😉

And don't get me started on the subject of taxi drivers in silver cabs who block parking spaces near the J Davidson Stadium whilst they eat some chips either....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:57:58 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 National League allows 3G pitches