Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nowt to do with Football but Alty related...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nowt to do with Football but Alty related...  (Read 9534 times)

Bazbatteria

Re: Nowt to do with Football but Alty related...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »

that small segment of footage has everything to do with our football team, what a great guy.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 12:18:07 AM »

This I always find very humbling

http://www.aftermathww1.com/couragestreet.asp

Is it the same Peter Hennerley who's an Alty fan who always collects for the poppy appeal?

THERE IS ONLY ONE PETER HENNERLEY.

markecky

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

Bill Speakman is the uncle of exiled infamous alty fan Ian Horton, and for those that know the family, bill is burt's (ian's dad) brother.

Indeed...here is young Bert in his house.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=29471

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 02:10:08 PM »

What a great pity it is that there is no remaining footage of Private George Heslop's triumphant return to Altrincham from the Crimean War.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

george

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

However, there will be footage all over you when the Youth Team complete their Parlaufs in your front room tonight. It will be known as the CRIMEAn of the Century.

jim fallon

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »

Superb footage, such a shame so many of our troops come back the way they did today.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »

This I always find very humbling

http://www.aftermathww1.com/couragestreet.asp

Plaque for Chapel Street, Altrincham, Trafford which was dubbed ' the bravest little street in England'
1:20pm Friday 17th July 2009

AN ALTRINCHAM street that provided a record number of volunteers for the British Army in the First World War is to receive a commemorative blue plaque.

George V, who is said to have dubbed Chapel Street ‘the bravest little street in England’, sent a message of thanks to the town in 1919.

The King paid tribute to the valour of the residents of the street after hearing that an incredible 161 men from 60 houses had volunteered to join the Army when war broke out in 1914.

Twenty-nine volunteers died during the four year-long war.

Now Peter Hennerley, the grandson of one of the Chapel Street volunteers, has got the go-ahead from Trafford Council for a blue plaque to be erected.

Peter says it will be a fitting tribute to men such as his grandfather Hugh, who served in the Boer War from 1899 to 1902, before signing up again with the Cheshire Regiment for the Great War.

Peter, who is a member of the Bowdon branch of the British Legion and the Cheshire Regiment Association, said he could hardly wait for the plaque to be unveiled on September 13.

“I will be so chuffed - this is something I have wanted to do for a long time.”

The ceremony, starting at 10.30am, will take place just over 90-years after a roll of honour to the men was unveiled by the Earl of Stamford in 1919.

That roll of honour was moved to Altrincham Town Hall when the street’s old chapel was demolished in 1960, 21 years after the street of tiny two-up and two-down houses was knocked down.

Eight years ago, another plaque was sited on the side of the Grapes pub, now the Portofino restaurant, on Regent Road, and the blue plaque will be positioned above this.

The arrangements for the original memorial in 1919 were made by a street committee, whose members included Peter’s great great uncle, Dennis Hennerley.

Peter, aged 72, said he believed his forebears would be pleased with how they had now been remembered: “This little street’s former location now gets attended to by the Royal British Legion and civic personnel on Remembrance Sundays. The wreaths are never interfered with from one year to another. A street sign states ‘formerly Chapel Street’ “We cannot have asked for more. While about all this business, I feel I might have been guided by my Great-Great Uncle Dennis. His committee’s work has been preserved and even enhanced. I feel content.”

*Peter has produced a booklet detailing the history of Chapel Street. He will be selling it at Sainsbury’s in Altrincham on Friday, July 24, 12 to 3pm; and Tesco in Altrincham on July 25, 12 to 3pm.

@AltyDaz
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nowt to do with Football but Alty related...