PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No point in mckenna tarnishing his legend status
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: No point in mckenna tarnishing his legend status  (Read 9761 times)

brian1925

Re: No point in mckenna tarnishing his legend status
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »

I know that it is stating the obvious, but anyone who can magically remove ALL the players we have brought in since the summer can have the bloody job. We have a handful of Conference standard players, the rest need to be loan signings to give us even half a chance of escaping the worst points tally in the league's history-that means we need a manager with contacts. For me, that's Jimmy Harvey.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »

Just got back from what was a complete and utter shambles.

The new manager 'bounce' often talked of lasted all of 49 seconds and it was downhill all the way from there. Eastbourne are not a great team, lower mid table at best and we made them look world beaters. Absolutely acres of space down both our flanks. How was Joseph playing in the Football League last year? Williams and Smith are two of the better players in our current team but how badly do we miss Greg Young? No real talkers at the back now either. As for midfield, I like him but sadly Crowell is still well off the pace and we are carrying him at the moment. The lad Hewson for me has to start Tuesday, wanted the ball, had a bit of confidence about him and showed a good delivery from dead balls, possibly the only positive from today. If we are going 5-3-2 then Lawton, Hewson and Danalyk have to make up the midfield, they will at least get at people and work their socks off, which at the moment is all we can ask for. Mccarthy and Reeves again battled well up front but had scraps at best to feed on and Eastbourne to be fair on the rare occasions they had to did defend well. Fair play to Robbie Lawton to come over and apologise to us at the end of the game, a genuine apology from a bloke who was clearly embarrassed by what went on around him today. Just hope more of them have that attitude.

Nine games, one point tells its own story. From the remaining 37 league games we are going to realistically need to win around 13-14 to stay up, probably won't happen and possibly time for a completely new man from outside of the club to come in and for a wholesale clearance of the decks now.

baldrick

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »

People often assume a manager will be successful just because he was a good player. They are two completely different jobs.

AltyIan

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »

I really hope we go out on tuesday with a positive outset maybe 3 upfront, were expected to lose anyway, so we may aswell go gung ho for it, make it a night to remember no matter what the result.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:38 PM »

The new manager 'bounce' often talked of lasted all of 49 seconds and it was downhill all the way from there. Eastbourne are not a great team, lower mid table at best and we made them look world beaters. Absolutely acres of space down both our flanks. How was Joseph playing in the Football League last year? Williams and Smith are two of the better players in our current team but how badly do we miss Greg Young? No real talkers at the back now either. As for midfield, I like him but sadly Crowell is still well off the pace and we are carrying him at the moment. The lad Hewson for me has to start Tuesday, wanted the ball, had a bit of confidence about him and showed a good delivery from dead balls, possibly the only positive from today. If we are going 5-3-2 then Lawton, Hewson and Danalyk have to make up the midfield, they will at least get at people and work their socks off, which at the moment is all we can ask for. Mccarthy and Reeves again battled well up front but had scraps at best to feed on and Eastbourne to be fair on the rare occasions they had to did defend well. Fair play to Robbie Lawton to come over and apologise to us at the end of the game, a genuine apology from a bloke who was clearly embarrassed by what went on around him today. Just hope more of them have that attitude.

Nine games, one point tells its own story. From the remaining 37 league games we are going to realistically need to win around 13-14 to stay up, probably won't happen and possibly time for a completely new man from outside of the club to come in and for a wholesale clearance of the decks now.

A pretty accurate summary of events.To be fair, bad as we were, I thought Eastbourne were decent. particularly upfront where Taylor & Pacquette were outstanding.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »

I dont like to be alarmist,but today we really hit rock bottom,and was our worst performance since weve been back at this level.I can accept being patted on the head by york or oxford but not some f**king pub outfit that play in a bowling club....

Let's not get Billy Big Bollocks, it makes us look silly.

I'd rather have Eastbourne in this league than pricks like Kettering.

Maybe not said in the same way,but I agree with Petes sentiments.You can take the 5-0s against the likes of York, Luton etc. But to be beaten convincingly 5-0 by a club that is about the same size as us is very hard to take. In normal circumstances we would go knowing more than likely we would get something out of the game,a point or 3. Today there was only hope that maybe we could start moving up.How very wrong was that.I'm still a bit dazed by it all now!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »

Finally, I think we're likely to use the Nash money to get in a couple of decent loan signings. That could be precisely the fresh impetus we need and be the catalyst for some wins.

Come on Alty!

Ah, but exactly what proportion of Carole Nash's "substantial donation" remains after the events of last week though?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »

A pretty accurate summary of events.To be fair, bad as we were, I thought Eastbourne were decent. particularly upfront where Taylor & Pacquette were outstanding.

In retrospect Brian you are right. Eastbourne were good going forward and will turn a few sides over on their own patch this year. Still don't take away from what was an astonishingly incompetent display by us.

taxi Phil

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 01:58:04 AM »

Ah, but exactly what proportion of Carole Nash's "substantial donation" remains after the events of last week though

Would you care to expand a little on this rather interesting aside ?

Narcissist

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »

Was f**king gutted yesterday seeing the score come up again and again. Nothing against Eastbourne, but they arent a former league club with a massive budget, full-time setup and 3000 fans getting behind them. 5-0 was a massive kick in the balls after the ups and downs of the last few weeks, mainly downs.

There has to be some improvement, that side wouldnt have got beat 5-0 at Eastbourne last season. Heathcote didnt overnight become a useless scout who cant sign players good enough to compete at this level. What happened to the Luton and Darlington performences? Everyone seems to have forgotten the optimism of the seasons start. Whats happened, its a dressing room in turmoil.

Theres more to it for me. Maybe a clash of personality? f**k knows but somethings wrong in there and until its out and sorted we'll continue to prop up the league embarrasingly!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

In retrospect Brian you are right. Eastbourne were good going forward and will turn a few sides over on their own patch this year. Still don't take away from what was an astonishingly incompetent display by us.

100% in agreement.

RocketDan

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »

Ah, but exactly what proportion of Carole Nash's "substantial donation" remains after the events of last week though

Would you care to expand a little on this rather interesting aside ?

are you suggesting 'mutual termination' doesn't mean, shaking of hands and parting company, but rather having your palm crossed with silver and parting company?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:06:24 PM by RocketDan »

anglo alty

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

this is the low pointwe still have time to put this right better to be in thi position now than at christmas with half the season gone don't know if mckenna is right for the job maybe brabin or quinn or jim harey the latter will probably mean twiss stays though whatever the decision we must remain positive can apreciate gazwarringtons rant though someone should be asking those questions

andrewflynn

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »

McKenna should give Barrow a go, it's a home game and can make a more detailed assessment of how he wants to approach the game after Saturdays shambles. If we lose again, then fair enough I agree there's no point him staying.

Jezza

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »

I honestly don't think Ken will tarnish his former legend reputation.

I think most of us can appreciate the size of the task facing ken and if he simply cannot turn it round I think he will still be remembered for his playing days and this will be remembered as right man wrong job wrong time.

So best of luck Ken, I'd rather you be succesful than having to bring in a jim harvey or whoever...but if that's what is needed that is what is needed...this is a job for a superman!

Lets just see a halt in the decline and a bit of team spirit V Barrow....a point would be a start...a defeat with a bit of hope from a good performance would even be progress!

The players need to get it into their heads that they are the same players who nearly drew at luton and should have beaten darlo....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No point in mckenna tarnishing his legend status