News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Delusional?

Author Topic: Delusional?  (Read 1483 times)

Dougals Dad

Delusional?
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »

From the main site: Re Barrow - "The Bluebirds operated on a part-time basis last season, training just once a week. 'We don't want to be losing the best talent to Preston or to Morecambe', he said. 'No disrespect to Morecambe but we are as big a club if not bigger"

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Delusional?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »

Not really, Alty are as bigger club as morecambe, we've just not had millions of pounds of umbros money pumped into our club over the last decade. If you trace back to before morecambe became a successful conference club,that after finishing second in the unibond league and coming up at marines expense,they were a footballing non entity.I think altrincham with the same investment would have taken a similar path as morecambe, we are very similar sized clubs.Barrow by location, can pull bigger gates than both alty and morecambe, so I would say they "could" be a bigger cliub than morecambe.I would like to comapre our gates to morecambes if we had ten years of relative conference success, and good cup runs.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »

Not really, Alty are as bigger club as morecambe, we've just not had millions of pounds of umbros money pumped into our club over the last decade. If you trace back to before morecambe became a successful conference club,that after finishing second in the unibond league and coming up at marines expense,they were a footballing non entity.I think altrincham with the same investment would have taken a similar path as morecambe, we are very similar sized clubs.Barrow by location, can pull bigger gates than both alty and morecambe, so I would say they "could" be a bigger cliub than morecambe.I would like to comapre our gates to morecambes if we had ten years of relative conference success, and good cup runs.

Hughesy,

That's a touch harsh, as Morecambe did win the FA Trophy back in 1974 when the former Alty captain Dave Roberts was their player/manager.

However, I do agree with the gist of your post otherwise!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »

Hughesy,

That's a touch harsh, as Morecambe did win the FA Trophy back in 1974 when the former Alty captain Dave Roberts was their player/manager.

However, I do agree with the gist of your post otherwise!

Ok then, for nearly two decades before  promotion, they were a footballing non-entity  ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Delusional?