PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 3 players gone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 3 players gone  (Read 12705 times)

Jacko

Re: 3 players gone
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »

for as long as little is fit and remains are top goalscorer the argument is floored IMO, even now most clubs in this league would snap him up

fuertes

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »

for as long as little is fit and remains are top goalscorer the argument is floored IMO, even now most clubs in this league would snap him up

I agree. Even last season he still banged in a very decent number of goals. I accept that he'll need to be taken off in the second half more as time goes on, but it has to be worth keeping him in the side.

By the way, from talking to other fans on thefootballforum, they would all definitely be happy to have him in their side.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »

I haven't said that we shouldn't keep him or that we shouldn't play him, why would I, he has class. My concern is when we start to say that ANY outfield player in their mid thirties is "the future"

Longman

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

I haven't said that we shouldn't keep him or that we shouldn't play him, why would I, he has class. My concern is when we start to say that ANY outfield player in their mid thirties is "the future"

We all know deep down that the future lies in garlic bread.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »

There is a striking parallel here with the last years of Jackie Swindells at Alty (except Jackie was forced out by a manager trying to stamp his mark on the club, so don't take this too literally or too far).

Colin this season has equalled Jackie's post war record of being leading scorer five seasons in succession.  Here is a comparison:

Swindells

1965-66 82
1966-67 47
1967-68 43
1968-69 36
1969-70 33

Little

2004-05 38
2005-06 17
2006-07 13
2007-08 24
2008-09 18

There were some (but not too many) who argued that Jackie could not hack it in the rarified echelons of the NPL, particularly as he was aging and more injury prone.

However it is worth noting that he still banged in 20 goals in 30 games in the injury hit 70-71 season (including a Hat Trick at Macclesfield for our first win over the old enemy for six years as we came back from 2-0 down).  He was seen as fading - and if you compare 30 goals a season with 80 goals a season - you can see what people meant.

However, he was a class above in terms of his eye for goal.  And, you'll agree, so is Colin Little.  Yes, he's getting older.  And each season he does have barren spells where the nagging thought enters the back of ones mind that maybe father time has caught up with him - but then comes a run of 5 goals in 6 or 7 games.

I think we need to accep that he cannot go on for ever, and be alert for signs of the fading of the magic.  But we also need to accept that we have no one comparable at the moment - a lodestone, a bellweather, a focal point - and no obvious replacement (that we could afford) springs to mind.  We would be daft to "let go" someone who has repeatedly said he wants to carry on playing for us - until such time as it becomes painfully obvious that he cannot "do it" any more.  At which time I suspect he'll walk away of his own accord.

Jacko

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

if colin was 28 he'd be playing in the league no doubt, he's playing at a suitable level right now i believe

Jenga

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »

I still wont say names but one more for me needs to go. The fourth one I know if I even did mention him i would be get crucified by the faithful.

One of the league top scorers for the last three years perhaps?

NOPE not Colin, although he may perhaps start to move to the bench or be subbed earlier in games. I think we have already seen him get subbed more though already.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:39:09 PM by Jenga »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

If you're looking for a an argument for no apparent reason Phil, then cut the 'we' out. The only person who has described Colin Little as being "the future" in this thread is you.

Everybody else realises that while he is still doing a super job for us he's not getting any younger.

So turn it in eh...

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »

Not looking for an argument at all Ballers although as per usual I seem to be getting one from people who I thought knew me better.

I have interpreted Rocket Dan's post to mean that there is an opinion that the future is Denham, Senior, Little and Johnson.

Was I wrong in this interprtation Dan?

bighairedmike

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »

Not looking for an argument at all Ballers although as per usual I seem to be getting one from people who I thought knew me better.

I have interpreted Rocket Dan's post to mean that there is an opinion that the future is Denham, Senior, Little and Johnson.

The future is with them. Joe, try as hard as he might, was not as good as those 4. That isn't his fault at all. We may have to look at replacing Colin in the future however he will be playing for us in the near future. I'd hope that Denham, Senior and Johnson stay for longer. When Colin has to go we will replace him (or attempt to at least), but lets just reach taht bridge when we get to it yes.

And to Jenga, i'm thinking a certain Mr Lawton?

Jenga

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

I would not like to mention names Mike.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:10:37 PM by Jenga »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »

Right, I see what you're getting at, hard though it is to do so through Dan's gunnersesque post.

He has said the future is Denham, Little, Senior, Johnson. He's right, why are you being pernickity? Clearly this doesn't suggest that we are hoping to keep those 4 as a striking quartet for the entire next decade, Little will have his role in that future as the elder statesman, a lot more than Joe would.

Sheesh...

gunners11

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »

just like to say congrats to burnley football club winning tonight against reading 2-0 to burnley 3-0 agg they will face sheff utd i think burnley will win 3-1 and go to the top flight 33years

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »

just like to say congrats to burnley football club winning tonight against reading 2-0 to burnley 3-0 agg they will face sheff utd i think burnley will win 3-1 and go to the top flight 33years

Spooky, you know I was just about to add that exact same sentiment to this thread about 3 Alty players leaving.

:P

thegazelle

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:59 AM »

bunch of bullies who punched young alty fans by the cricket ground even though they won 6-1 .

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 3 players gone