PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 End of Season Awards
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: End of Season Awards  (Read 7588 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: End of Season Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »

Re. Goal of the Season: Connor Hampson - you were robbed...!

Must admit that I thought the Hampson goal was nailed on to win.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »

It was moment of the season, but I disagree that it was the best goal. Senior's was technically better.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »

It was moment of the season, but I disagree that it was the best goal. Senior's was technically better.

But scored against a lower grade team.

andrewflynn

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 01:34:54 PM »

The best goal is the best goal imo! If we were voting for the best moment of the season and considering the level of opposition then Hancock's penalty at Portsmouth could have won it last year.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »

The best goal is the best goal imo! If we were voting for the best moment of the season and considering the level of opposition then Hancock's penalty at Portsmouth could have won it last year.

Can't fault your logic - are there any actual guidelines for making the selection ? In the end "the public have spoken", so let's simply agree that we were privileged to enjoy two goals of exceptional quality.

andrewflynn

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »

Can't fault your logic - are there any actual guidelines for making the selection ? In the end "the public have spoken", so let's simply agree that we were privileged to enjoy two goals of exceptional quality.

The absolute deserved 1 and 2, that's for sure!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 03:58:05 PM »

I acknowledge that we are in essence debating a subjective issue here but, nonetheless, I'd be interested to read the reasoning behind your judgment.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »

I acknowledge that we are in essence debating a subjective issue here but, nonetheless, I'd be interested to read the reasoning behind your judgment.

I mean I can't say I analysed both goals in punditry detail but no worries, just watched them both back again so here goes.

The first thing for me is he had to deal with a bit of a difficult pass from Hancock, with immediate pressure from a Chester defender. Hampson had a wealth of time afforded to him.

Not only did Senior manage to control that ball, but the touch was that good it set up the shot perfectly. He shot with his next touch. Two touches under pressure to produce that goal. As outstanding as Hampson's goal is, his first touch was actually a little heavy.

I'd also point out the angle from which the shot was taken. If you offered Hampson's position and Senior's as opportunities at goal, I think most players would choose Hampson's over Senior's, which was at a relatively wide angle and possibly further out.

Because of that, he's had to shoot across the keeper to find the top corner. I'm not in the trade of scoring long range screamers myself but it seems that this would be more difficult to do, as to beat the keeper from that position you have to put the ball across his positioning, as opposed to Hampson's which is undeniably top corner, but caught the keeper flat footed.

They're both phenomenal goals and the deserved 1/2, but I just thought Senior's was slightly technically better and deserving of #1.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »

Re. Goal of the Season:

Connor Hampson - you were robbed...!

I must admit that if I scored an absolute worldy with the last kick of the game to earn a point away against the eventual champions and didn't get Goal of the Season, I'd be just a tad miffed.....
I wouldn't worry about it too much one foot. It's extremely unlikely to happen to you now. 😊
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 End of Season Awards