PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Watmore?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No Watmore?  (Read 4644 times)

York Alty

Re: No Watmore?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

...which partly explains Celtics inability to raise the standard when required in Europe.  They can turn it on in flashes, but not consistently.  The sooner Rangers give them serious opposition the better Celtic will fare.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »

There are only about 15 full-time professional clubs out of 42 in the whole of the Scottish League system. That's probably too high anyway given the country's population of 5m is equivalent to Yorkshire's. In the SPL, Celtic and Rangers aside, most crowds are at or under the 10,000 mark. When you couple that with Sky TV cash being a tiny % of that in the PL it's not surprising the standard of the SPL is not great.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:35:16 AM by JTH »

York Alty

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »

There are only about 15 full-time professional clubs out of 42 in the whole of the Scottish League system. That's probably too high anyway given the country's population of 5m is equivalent to Yorkshire's. In the SPL, Celtic and Rangers aside, most crowds are at or under the 10,000 mark. When you couple that with Sky TV cash being a tiny % of that in the PL it's not surprising the standard of the SPL is not great.

Interesting comparison with Yaarkshire. There's only Hull in the Prem with with the rest really doing no more than tread water. York did better than expected and Sheff Utd had a fair season once Clough got the job but they're still in the first division.

Oh well, I'm off to vote.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »

Not too long ago Sheffield Wednesday, Dirty Leeds, The Blunts and Middlesbrough were all in the Premier League
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »

Not too long ago Sheffield Wednesday, Dirty Leeds, The Blunts and Middlesbrough were all in the Premier League

Bradford too.  all gone a bit splaaat like since.

The English north west is the home of footy.  Yeah London has a lot of clubs but that's only cos it is a big place.

Jimmy

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »

The English north west is the home of footy.  Yeah London has a lot of clubs but that's only cos it is a big place.
I'd say Madrid is the home of football on that basis

York Alty

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

I'd say Madrid is the home of football on that basis

Dunno much about Madrid, went there once. Or was it Barecelona?

I was referring to Englandshire really.

Jimmy

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »

Sorry about that fair point then iv not been to Madrid I like the coast on a holiday have been barcelona

York Alty

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

Sorry about that fair point then iv not been to Madrid I like the coast on a holiday have been barcelona

It WAS Barcelona cos it was on the coast.  It was a mighty long hitch down to Morrocco in the days when I had long hair. Man.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Watmore?