News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays game

Author Topic: Todays game  (Read 3124 times)

lukealty12

Todays game
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »

Has anybody been to the ground or anything? If so hows the pitch looking?

shelmers

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Todays game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:34:03 AM »

Just been to ground and pitch looks perfectly fine braids a few frosty patches!! A lot of fog which would clear...a disgrace if the games off!!

george

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

I was at the ground at 8.35 a.m this morning. It was inspected at 9.00 a.m. by a designated official, who then informed the match ref that 20% was unplayable due to the deep frost in the ground. There was no chance of the weather improving for the frost to ease.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »

Just been to ground and pitch looks perfectly fine braids a few frosty patches!! A lot of fog which would clear...a disgrace if the games off!!

Good to know that you have xray eyes that can see into the soil texture and that you are more competent than a referee / GH when it comes to judging playing conditions

It's a sad thing to say but I have just realised that quite a proportion of posters on here are complete eejets :-

People who actually think the club cannot be arsed playing over Christmas and are happy to lose hundreds of pounds.
Someone accusing Joe of wanting games off because he doesn't want to stand in the cold.
People 100's of miles away moaning about a lack of volunteers.
Super sponsor Dino hiding behind his PC lobbing missiles at the forum regulator.

Rant over
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:34:53 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »

It's a disgrace then......good to know that you have xray eyes that can see into the soil texture and that you are more competent than a referee and our manager when it comes to judging playing conditions

Bloody hell. I think I need to give this forum a rest for a few weeks before I explode. It's a sad thing to say but I have just realised that quite a proportion of posters on here are complete f***wits. Maybe it should be censored after all.

People who think the club cannot be arsed playing over Christmas and are happy to lose hundreds of pounds.
Those who seem to think the club is brimming with money.
Someone accusing Joe of wanting games off because it's cold.
People 100's of miles away moaning about a lack of volunteers.
Super sponsor Dino who hides behind his PC and winges about censorship that does not exist
And now this eejet above.

Rant over

Mick,

It's not hundreds of pounds though, is it?

It's more like at least £10,000 of revenue lost owing to today's postponement.
And the Wrexham game will no doubt follow suit.

A crowd of 2,000+ today as opposed to circa 1,000 on a miserable Tuesday night in February when Manchester United are on TV in the Champions League.
Not to mention lost takings on food; drinks; sales of programmes etc.

I presume that the Board has investigated the issue of investment re. covering the pitch and the costs have been deemed prohibitive?
I'm guessing here, because this has never really been confirmed on the official website.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »

Cult,
I can only assume that the board have looked into the matter in the past and deemed it to be a non-viable investment taking into account all the factors. I might be wrong, but on the financial front they have been pretty astute to date.

My rant is mainly due to the number of posters who post without seeing the issue from both sides.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »

Cult,
I can only assume that the board have looked into the matter in the past and deemed it to be a non-viable investment taking into account all the factors. I might be wrong, but on the financial front they have been pretty astute to date.

My rant is mainly due to the number of posters who post without seeing the issue from both sides.

After reading Fleetwood's website about required frost covers it seems there not 'all that'.... they only protect the pitch from frost up to -2 or -3 degrees, im sure the club WOULD have looked into this and decided against it. They would definatly be a luxury and probably in the region of £20k

bunny16

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »

isnt this the second time(in recent years) the game has been cancelled. Thus costing you vital revenue,would have expected 800-900 away fans attending today,now on a tuesday night at the very most 400will be there, and with four  players on four cards you would have assumed york would have put out a weaker side today or the four players would not have been that comitted.Either way all water under the bridge,i hope you do well (apart from your game against us) i dont think i will make the re-arranged game, all the best.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »

Bunny

I'm as disappointed as you but to be fair it Alty losing the money, programmes will have been printed, food ordered, peoples time booked up who could have done other stuff.

At least people were told early, Eastbourne travelled last season to arrive to a postponement when a local ref said ok early on, then the match ref said no at 2pm.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »

John Leigh Park this afternoon...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »

isnt this the second time(in recent years) the game has been cancelled. Thus costing you vital revenue,would have expected 800-900 away fans attending today,now on a tuesday night at the very most 400will be there, and with four  players on four cards you would have assumed york would have put out a weaker side today or the four players would not have been that comitted.Either way all water under the bridge,i hope you do well (apart from your game against us) i dont think i will make the re-arranged game, all the best.

York's an easy journey to make in midweek, I can't believe there's 500 floating voters from York today. If they only bring 400 then it's wank support by them to be honest.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

Some random unofficial calculations....

Potential loss of revenue from postponements at Moss Lane in 2009 (to date):

(1) 1st January 2009
Northwich Victoria

Potential attendance: circa 1,700?

Attendance when match eventually played on a Tuesday evening in February: 1,209.

So, c500 spectators at a rough average of £10 each = £5,000.

Loss of Setanta TV fee for this match: £8,000.

(2) 7th February 2009
Eastbourne Borough

Possible attendance: c700+?

Attendance when the match was eventually played on a Tuesday evening in April whilst Manchester United were live on TV in the Champions League: 605.

So, 100 spectators at a rough average cost of £10 each = £1,000.

Compensation fee that we were required to pay to Eastbourne Borough owing to the late postponement of the match: circa £2,000? (George Heslop will know what this exact figure was, I suspect).

(3) 28th December 2009
York City

Potential attendance (including 800+ away supporters?): 2,000+

Attendance when/if it is played on Tuesday, 5th January 2010 (including c400 away supporters): c1,000.

So, 1,000 spectators at a rough average of £10 each = £10,000.

Estimated running total of lost income to date: £26,000.

And none of the above calculations included the revenue lost on food and drink sales; programme sales; sales of Christmas raffle tickets etc.

Plus the Wrexham match on New Year's Day looks unlikely to proceed on the basis of various weather predictions.....and, depressingly, we'll probably be having the same discussion all over again at this time next year...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

Maybe at the next few home games fans could be asked to eat twice as many chips as usual.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »

If the electricity supply is strong enough to fry them with the lights on.........Oh dear, the point takes some getting through sometimes.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 05:35:42 PM »

Perhaps fans could bring their own chips and save the cost of the electricity.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays game