News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The defence

Author Topic: The defence  (Read 4027 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The defence
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

I am hoping this will my last post for a while as I am sick of repeating myself and seeing dire performances.

I have just read Lee's post match comments after Saturday and it appears to show emotion which is a good thing but he goes on about the defence but he is the one selecting the wrong defence.

Lets take a step back to our promotion season and especially the final, Havern and Leather were a success, solid and comfortable together, lets look at our best patch this season in which we hardly conceded and it was after Marshall sending off. I am not entirely blaming Marshall for the poor defensive perfomances but he isn't good enough, he's nervous, slow, commits himself high and just isn't fit enough. This has then had a knock on effect with Havern's performances. Havern loses his confidence and is caught out of position when playing with him, you can see and feel it. It just doesn't work.

Now Havern and Leather are solid and comfortable, Scott is four times the ball winner than Marshall and Havern sweeps, they do it extremely well together. Scott is our best centre back and those two together bring confidence to the team and more importantly Stuart. It is so clear so if Sinnott has any decent tactical ability then we start the team sheet with those two names written first as centre backs.

We have a lot of dead wood, lets go one or two divisions below and get keen, young, strong and fit lads. Give Gillespie a few games or get rid, get rid of Mike Williams, Marshall and Perry. Trouble is Lee lives so far away he can't do mid week local game scouting but I guarantee there will be better players than those mentioned above, we need players who can play at a high tempo, closing down, eager and just hungry to succeed at this level.

Lee needs to make some brave decisions now before we make this even harder for ourselves. We just can't have any passengers, we need more aggressive players too but for now get our best back four back together and build from there. We need to stay in this league. s

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The defence
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »

Have to agree with all of that post

GB Alty

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

I am hoping this will my last post for a while as I am sick of repeating myself and seeing dire performances.

I have just read Lee's post match comments after Saturday and it appears to show emotion which is a good thing but he goes on about the defence but he is the one selecting the wrong defence.

Lets take a step back to our promotion season and especially the final, Havern and Leather were a success, solid and comfortable together, lets look at our best patch this season in which we hardly conceded and it was after Marshall sending off. I am not entirely blaming Marshall for the poor defensive perfomances but he isn't good enough, he's nervous, slow, commits himself high and just isn't fit enough. This has then had a knock on effect with Havern's performances. Havern loses his confidence and is caught out of position when playing with him, you can see and feel it. It just doesn't work.

Now Havern and Leather are solid and comfortable, Scott is four times the ball winner than Marshall and Havern sweeps, they do it extremely well together. Scott is our best centre back and those two together bring confidence to the team and more importantly Stuart. It is so clear so if Sinnott has any decent tactical ability then we start the team sheet with those two names written first as centre backs.

We have a lot of dead wood, lets go one or two divisions below and get keen, young, strong and fit lads. Give Gillespie a few games or get rid, get rid of Mike Williams, Marshall and Perry. Trouble is Lee lives so far away he can't do mid week local game scouting but I guarantee there will be better players than those mentioned above, we need players who can play at a high tempo, closing down, eager and just hungry to succeed at this level.

Lee needs to make some brave decisions now before we make this even harder for ourselves. We just can't have any passengers, we need more aggressive players too but for now get our best back four back together and build from there. We need to stay in this league. s
spot on

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

Whoever the manager has at his disposal tomorrow night, Leather and Haven have to play in the centre of the back four.
Cmon Manager. Put a smile on my face

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »

Trouble is Lee lives so far away he can't do mid week local game scouting
Thought that was what a local assistant could be expected to do?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

arnald

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

lee is the man to take us up

markecky

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

Good post but in the absence of Clee, I am sure that no one who saw the Lincoln game would have changed anything about it.

The fact that the manager didn't change the starting formation yet I believe from speaking to 2-3 people it looked like we had added to the farce.  The players couldn't even replicate what they had done 4 days before in terms of shape, never mind the fact that we were the ones in Lincolns faces from the off.

The manager has put his faith in these players and has backed them when we have the previous poor games this season, they have now let him ( and us ) down badly and we need fresh faces to replace some and shake others up.

Running through walls tomorrow for those that do play will be a start in what will be another physical contest.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

I am generally a fan of Lee Sinnott, tho reading his interview there must be something missing. As a defender being managed by an accomplished football league defender it should be inspirational and as a player being managed by a former FA Cup Runner-up should be a huge motivation when it comes to cup ties., although neither seems to happen. So either he can't get the right players to do the job, or he can't coach the players as he wants. However I'm still not sure he has as big a budget as everyone makes out and maybe he is making a silk purse out of a sow's ear - and yes I know that community halls are expensive to build. ( although nobody said that they weren't a worthy cause).

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »

Good post but in the absence of Clee, I am sure that no one who saw the Lincoln game would have changed anything about it.

The fact that the manager didn't change the starting formation yet I believe from speaking to 2-3 people it looked like we had ...........
Yes Ecky, I was delighted when I saw the team sheet. Whatever people's thoughts on Havern/Marshall versus Havern/Leather the former partnership was part of a back four that had only shipped 2 goals in 4 games. Impressive enough for me to be happy to stick to the same formation as Lincoln.

What was obvious from the kick-off was that not only was Griffin playing in a midfield role, but Densmore too. That left Havern, Marshall and Leather seriously exposed. And with Robbie Dale, playing wide left he easily got behind Densmore time and time again.

So, the point of my post is this. If we are to believe Sinnott that he was playing a back four, what was Densmore, the club captain, doing implementing the plan to his own liking in defiance of Sinnott? Worthy of serious censure if not the sack? Secondly, if it was obvious to Sinnott as early as the 10th minute, as he states it was, and as the rest of us saw too, then why did he do nothing about it?

He says he told them and they disregarded his instructions. That's a shocking admission and begs the question "if the manager can't get the players to play as instructed, who is at fault?" Only one person leaves a club in that scenario and it's not usually a player.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:39:23 AM by buryalty »

roytonmike

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »

A well-argued post from buryalty.
Viewed from behind the goal we were defending in the first half on Sunday we certainly appeared to be playing with a back three and five in midfield, whatever the management may have thought or intended. The state of affairs should have been obvious by 3 min 16 sec (time of first goal) if not sooner & immediate action taken to remedy things.
At our level a back four should be almost mandatory. Our captain does have a tendency to behave like a schoolboy chasing the ball around the playground at times - the term 'headless chicken' has come to my mind on occasion - but usually buckles down to the job of being a full-back. He didn't on Sunday. Why not?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »

I always feel that Shaun makes his mind up during the game as to whether he is able to get forward or not.
Versus the (supposed) weaker teams he tends to get forward and puts in crosses, as at the start against Alfreton last Saturday. Against the better sides he tends to stay back and play as a more orthodox right back.
Maybe that was the plan against Blyth.

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

So Shaun makes his own mind up ? Are we to assume that he's immune to Sinnott's "tactical" team talks ?

Put very simply, if he was told to play full back on Sunday, he totally disregarded instructions. And if that is so, he should be disciplined.

More to the point, if Sinnott could plainly see, like 200 of us, that it was happening, he should have been substituted.

If, however, he was playing as instructed, Sinnott's interview with John Edwards is open to question. And to try to shift the blame for his shortcomings on to the players is despicable.

So.....either Lee is flannelling, or he is unable to get his players to follow instructions.

In either event, the buck stops at Sinnott's door. And I have lost patience with him.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »

If LS sets up the team how he wants it, and his plan is not carried out, then either all or some of  players either

A) don't understand what is being asked of them
B) can't carry out what is being asked of them
C) just do as they want.

None of the above bode very well.

If players don't buy into the managers ideas its an impasse and something will have to give.
Full time and proud of it

GB Alty

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »

I think LS thought he could pass the blame onto his players (probably after reading this forum)

Totally backfired, whilst he thought he was being clever he as actually highlighted his shortcomings

A) they players don't listen to him

B) when he see things going wrong, even after only a few minutes, he is powerless to change things

Manager needs to manage - that is the problem here - we need one that can do it effectively
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:34:06 PM by Uday »

Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

I think the players have got of very lightly but if this is down to Sinnott does it not go above that and the people who hired him
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The defence