PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Todays Team  (Read 14076 times)

Hamilton

Re: Todays Team
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »

Top post. Nice one Steve

markecky

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »

Its often difficult when a club goes down to adjust to life in the lower league and I believe thats actually been worse for us it would have been for some others teams.

We've had to have a mentatlity change from being elated when we grab  a point or win a home game to expecting to roll teams over at every oppourtunity.  This was apparent early season when one of the home draws was greated by boos from a small section of the crowd.

This is further proved by Eastbourne who lost at home yesterday and are now 1 point off the relegation zone.

We also seem to believe that every match depends on how we play and that it couldn't be possible that a team could beat us.  

I couldn't make it yesterday so can't comment directly but looking at the Hinckley they came and fought very hard as they were desperate for the points.  I presume that BS were the same yesterday.  If a team wants to let us play we'll murder them and score 5 or 6.  If they are up for a fight then we'll come off second best.

For me this has been a very weird season.  My Dad has started coming this season to home games, doesn't know anything about expectations or club politics or finances but has gone home pleased most weeks (except for last Tuesday).  He has seen plenty of goals and some lovely football.  We've topped form tables, gone on runs, had the leagues top scorer and yet as soon as we get ionto a positon where we are ready to strike it all goes wrong.

I think a lot of the frustration is that the losses have become part of watching Alty, totally expected.  We were never going to beat FC Utd this year, Witton was an obvious defeat, Gainsborough away was obvios, yesterday was obvious.

We'll probably go on another run now and turn the last game at Gainsborough into a "win and we're in" playoff game......and yet most of the people I know (me included) won't exactly be going into with confidence.

John Crewe

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »

If I can add my two-penny worth, by going back to hwne Lee Sinnott was originally made manager, and after our relegation. We all said the club should be rebuilt from scratch with a new manager and new players. We would be happy for this next season with a place outside the playoffs as we rebuilt the team. That was the opinion of most including myself, i seem to remember. To go straight back into the Conference Nationwide for probrably send us straight back down again after promotion from the playoffs. The cup wins we were hoping for unfortunately did not come off, so there has been no revenue from this particular stream to help build our squad. Lee has done his best to sign good players on a non-contract basis but this is difficult with our budget, including replacements. Considering we are now pushing for a playoff place, we are meeting our target for Lee's first season and I am generally pleased with what has happened so far, We are are target for our first season of rebuilding, even if we did not end up in the playoffs or even lost them. I would rather rebuild slowly than go for all or bust, and come straight back down again with debts.

Bishops were a team with poor results in the past, but have improved in the last few games and have turned in some good recent results, as have a lot of teams when we finally get to play them. How I wish the Stalybridge away fixture could have been swopped with yesterday game, we would probrably have ended up with two wins then!! See what I mean?

A team with non contract players who have had to make recent changes - three or four in our case - will have thse gliches but i am not too worried, we are still generally playing to a good standard, and I am enjoying myself more than last year!

Give it time guys, we are meeting the expectancy of the general fans view from last season and there is still a lot to play for. I am getting behind our management team and players and saying for it, but not too quickly where we end up in debt or relegated again!!

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

you say that most of us said at the start of the season we would be happy for a place outside the play offs - rubbish

maybe most like minded people to you or like minded people even on this forum - but i can assure you that to most Altrincham fans mediocrity in this league is totally unacceptable

i think the problem for most of us is that the club is totally lacking in leadership or direction at the moment (and i dont just mean the team), also the manager is proving to be totally inept (as was feared by some at the start of the season)

time for a re-think i suggest

markecky

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

If I can add my two-penny worth, by going back to hwne Lee Sinnott was originally made manager, and after our relegation. We all said the club should be rebuilt from scratch with a new manager and new players. We would be happy for this next season with a place outside the playoffs as we rebuilt the team. That was the opinion of most including myself, i seem to remember. To go straight back into the Conference Nationwide for probrably send us straight back down again after promotion from the playoffs. The cup wins we were hoping for unfortunately did not come off, so there has been no revenue from this particular stream to help build our squad. Lee has done his best to sign good players on a non-contract basis but this is difficult with our budget, including replacements. Considering we are now pushing for a playoff place, we are meeting our target for Lee's first season and I am generally pleased with what has happened so far, We are are target for our first season of rebuilding, even if we did not end up in the playoffs or even lost them. I would rather rebuild slowly than go for all or bust, and come straight back down again with debts.

Bishops were a team with poor results in the past, but have improved in the last few games and have turned in some good recent results, as have a lot of teams when we finally get to play them. How I wish the Stalybridge away fixture could have been swopped with yesterday game, we would probrably have ended up with two wins then!! See what I mean?

A team with non contract players who have had to make recent changes - three or four in our case - will have thse gliches but i am not too worried, we are still generally playing to a good standard, and I am enjoying myself more than last year!

Give it time guys, we are meeting the expectancy of the general fans view from last season and there is still a lot to play for. I am getting behind our management team and players and saying for it, but not too quickly where we end up in debt or relegated again!!

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

you say that most of us said at the start of the season we would be happy for a place outside the play offs - rubbish

maybe most like minded people to you or like minded people even on this forum - but i can assure you that to most Altrincham fans mediocrity in this league is totally unacceptable

i think the problem for most of us is that the club is totally lacking in leadership or direction at the moment (and i dont just mean the team), also the manager is proving to be totally inept (as was feared by some at the start of the season)

I love it when people speak for" most fans"

We have a hardcore of 600 (at the moment), or which 20 post regularly on here and another 20 post sometimes.

How long does the new man get when we sack Sinnott?  (I'm not even getting into the sack the board stuff you're hinting at).

Six months and then we swop again?

York Alty

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

Speaking only for myself I always saw Operation BSN escape as a two season effort.  I did expect us to make the payoffs this season, but on the basis that we won't we're not going to be far off.  There is still a possibility that we will and therefore be bang on target.

Thinking about NEXT season, where according to my plan is where we get up, we have some on field risks.  Reeves being snapped up, no improvement in our defence being the biggest.  Those are the major hurdles that we need to overcome between now and August.  I have no reason to believe anybody could do a better job than Lee on the budget.  He is the incumbent, knows the players and I think is the sort of man who takes responsibility for what he does or doesn't do.  Any change of manager would be folly. 

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

If a rethink is necessary what do you suggest is done differently?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »

Socrates surely the team has Lee's stamp on it with not many survivors from the previous season. Or is it the case that those left are a) not played in the right position b) simply not good enough.

I think maybe going with the bulk of last season's team has lead to inadequate recruitment though. All these players we now have seem to be mix and match, plugging gaps and in some cases square pegs in round holes etc. For example, was Marlon Broomes not good enough for us in the summer or did he have to spend half a season at Clitheroe before we signed him.

I agree with you that we could be here for a while though. And that suits some peole more than it does others.

Socrates makes a good point that last season a lot of people sucked up the disappointment and tried to get behind the team. As they have for quite a while now, at other clubs there would've been mayhem. As it is some of the frustration being vented now is not of LS making. Also maybe linked to not seeing quite where the club is heading.

There's also been an element of bad luck with the signings. I don't think anyone would have predicted that both Paul Jones and Adam Flynn would turn out to be as poor for us as they have. Indeed the concensus in pre-season seemed to be that we'd definitely be solid at the back but might not score enough, was has turned out to be diametrically wrong.

As Ecky says, this really is a weird season.

John Crewe

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

I love it when people speak for" most fans"

We have a hardcore of 600 (at the moment), or which 20 post regularly on here and another 20 post sometimes.

How long does the new man get when we sack Sinnott?  (I'm not even getting into the sack the board stuff you're hinting at).

Six months and then we swop again?

i think the idea should be to appoint the right man, if we keep appointing poor managers then we will have to keep replacing them until we get it right

markecky

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »

Appointing the right man seems sounds really easy. 

Appointing some one with experience of getting promoted from the Conference North on a limted budget seemed like a pretty good idea at the time to me.

I guess you have an idea of who the right man was (from those that applied of course)

John Crewe

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

well i little clarity on who we are and where we going would be a start

otherwise we may as well just accept the mediocrity we are currently been served up

sorry i sometimes forget that there are those amongst us who think eveything is perfectly rosy at the moment

bumble

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »

Steve from Sale

rubbish post

well i little clarity on who we are and where we going would be a start

otherwise we may as well just accept the mediocrity we are currently been served up

sorry i sometimes forget that there are those amongst us who think eveything is perfectly rosy at the moment

Altrincham Football Club

John Crewe

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »

Socrates surely the team has Lee's stamp on it with not many survivors from the previous season. Or is it the case that those left are a) not played in the right position b) simply not good enough.

I think maybe going with the bulk of last season's team has lead to inadequate recruitment though. All these players we now have seem to be mix and match, plugging gaps and in some cases square pegs in round holes etc. For example, was Marlon Broomes not good enough for us in the summer or did he have to spend half a season at Clitheroe before we signed him.

I agree with you that we could be here for a while though. And that suits some peole more than it does others.

Socrates makes a good point that last season a lot of people sucked up the disappointment and tried to get behind the team. As they have for quite a while now, at other clubs there would've been mayhem. As it is some of the frustration being vented now is not of LS making. Also maybe linked to not seeing quite where the club is heading.

There's also been an element of bad luck with the signings. I don't think anyone would have predicted that both Paul Jones and Adam Flynn would turn out to be as poor for us as they have. Indeed the concensus in pre-season seemed to be that we'd definitely be solid at the back but might not score enough, was has turned out to be diametrically wrong.

sorry Leon, i take back all I said.......we just been unlucky!!

John Crewe

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »

Appointing the right man seems sounds really easy. 

Appointing some one with experience of getting promoted from the Conference North on a limted budget seemed like a pretty good idea at the time to me.

I guess you have an idea of who the right man was (from those that applied of course)
no it not easy to appoint the right man

harder still to admit when you have picked the wrong man and then make the change

markecky

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »

The budget has been kept as high as it could be to give us the best chance of promotion.

The manager has been allowed to replace players when they leave when it would be easier to say no save a bit of cash (Colister coming in on loan, the signing of Lynch and Miles).  Seems like quite a statement of intent from the board.

I doubt many people think all is rosy (I don't if you're hinting at me) but on the flip side we don't need to clearout from top to bottom as I have heard mentioned by the people you drink with.

The first batch of dissent this season focussed on how we will never get anywhere without following the Stalybridge Celtic model.  I take it thats changed a bit now?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

sorry Leon, i take back all I said.......we just been unlucky!!

Your posts today are hysterical and unbalanced.

As you well know, that's not what I was saying. Signings sometimes work out and sometimes don't and that's true of even the greatest managers. Jones and Flynn looked like excellent signings but neither worked out.
I think the jury's still out on Sinnott. You've made your mind up already. Fair enough. But stop trying to force the rest of us to share your opinion and implying that we're imbeciles for disagreeing with you, whoever you are.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:41:46 PM by Leon »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team