PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Todays Team  (Read 14082 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Team
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »

So, is Mr Sinnot now a non caring, uninterested, tailors dummy as he has been accused of being on here before?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »

I don't like to hear this, it's not nice, but it was said that if we didn't hit the ground running this season fans would get frustrated.There was very little backlash over last season, and the supporters have had a lot to endure since that friendly at Woodley on July 2010. The crowds have held up well this year,so a few dissenting voices are going to be heard after such a stuttering season against very moderate opposition.I hope we can regroup and push on, but I'm still surprised weve not got another midfielder.Lees biggest mistake this year was signing/try to sign the bulk of last years squad.On who's advice they'd be good enough I don't know.He needs to have a full preseason with his own squad and see where we can go from there.I still think a lack in midfield has a connection with our shaky defensive displays.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »

After not clapping the team off for not coming out for the 2nd half until it was too late, I have calmed down a bit. You can look that we hit the framework 3 times, but other than that I don't think we troubled the keeper often enough. Our shots were either wayward or powerpuff, which were our 2 best chances of the game Densmore had.

We can make the play-offs still,but there is absolutely no room for error now. I make it 9 wins out of 12 will give us a chance,at a push of 73 points. On our day, we are probably the best team in this league. Unfortunately, our inconsistency/unable to defend properly may cost us.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

taxi Phil

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »

After not clapping the team off for not coming out for the 2nd half until it was too late, I have calmed down a bit. You can look that we hit the framework 3 times, but other than that I don't think we troubled the keeper often enough. Our shots were either wayward or powerpuff, which were our 2 best chances of the game Densmore had.

We can make the play-offs still,but there is absolutely no room for error now. I make it 9 wins out of 12 will give us a chance,at a push of 73 points. On our day, we are probably the best team in this league. Unfortunately, our inconsistency/unable to defend properly may cost us.
I'll settle for approximately 35 "our days" next season !

Nonleaguer

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »

Socrates surely the team has Lee's stamp on it with not many survivors from the previous season. Or is it the case that those left are a) not played in the right position b) simply not good enough.

Simple fact is that though Alty have been a big name in the past, you can't live in the past. If Lee gets into the playoffs its a major achievement given current finances and budgets of other clubs etc. Unfortunately there a body of followers who quite rightly live and breathe their club but that is simply not a guarantee of success on the pitch.

If the club fail this season in getting back I suspect that a long stay at this level is in the offing.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:01 AM »

Socrates surely the team has Lee's stamp on it with not many survivors from the previous season. Or is it the case that those left are a) not played in the right position b) simply not good enough.

Simple fact is that though Alty have been a big name in the past, you can't live in the past. If Lee gets into the playoffs its a major achievement given current finances and budgets of other clubs etc. Unfortunately there a body of followers who quite rightly live and breathe their club but that is simply not a guarantee of success on the pitch.

If the club fail this season in getting back I suspect that a long stay at this level is in the offing.
I think most of us in reality expected a long stay at this level, relegation from the bsp was a disaster.  I think what we need to do is show that we are progressing and that the team is improving.  For me we need cover for the wings, if clee or richman arn't playing we look one dimentional.  We also need a combative centre midfielder and a striker to replace redshaw. I think we will need to wait until next season before we can bring these in.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »

How many times can we trot this out though? I can fully accept this when talking in respect to the lutons, wrexham, yorks and grimsbys of this world, but not against clubs pulling in a third of the attendances we do.What happens if we go down again, will we not be able to compete with trafford and curzon Ashton for this reason or that reason?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »

And getting in the playoffs is NOT a major achievement if we hadn't embarrassed ourselves against solihull,Colwyn bay and Hinckley we'd be sat 3rd now without hardly breaking sweat all season

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

Too many people on here appear to be giving up on the play offs far too early ok we probab ly aren't good enough but a couple of new players ( central mid) and wins then things will look a lot more rosy

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »

I think maybe going with the bulk of last season's team has lead to inadequate recruitment though. All these players we now have seem to be mix and match, plugging gaps and in some cases square pegs in round holes etc. For example, was Marlon Broomes not good enough for us in the summer or did he have to spend half a season at Clitheroe before we signed him.

I agree with you that we could be here for a while though. And that suits some peole more than it does others.

Socrates makes a good point that last season a lot of people sucked up the disappointment and tried to get behind the team. As they have for quite a while now, at other clubs there would've been mayhem. As it is some of the frustration being vented now is not of LS making. Also maybe linked to not seeing quite where the club is heading.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »

Our biggest problem is staying in budget,it does hamper is or at least it did last season.when players are not on contract i dont think they are as commited  to the club.Having said that i would rather we stayed in this league and in budget than see the club run up massive debt and go out of business.
Harold

RocketDan

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »

Lee has had enough time to make his own mark on the team. He gutted out last years shoddy defence and midfield, keeping only five players - the most creative player (Nicky Clee), the world class goalkeeper (Coburn), the goal machine (Reeves), the england C international (Densmore) and Twissy who was on a contract (otherwise he would have long since been shown the door)

The problem is, aside the capture of James Lawrie, has Lee replaced the departing players with anyone better than what was previously here? Lees and Lynch from hyde (seems more of Toulsens suggestion from a Hyde team that leaked goals last season)? Richman who he knew from PortVale (blows hot and cold and gives the ball away too much)? Paul Jones? the resigning of Robbie Williams? Summerskill? Hawes? The list goes on, and the worrying turnover of players on short term loan deals doesn't look like part of a two year plan to me.  As a man who played centre half in an FA cup final at Wembley, I'm surprised Lee Sinnott didn't build his team around a solid back four that plays together week in week out, you don't get that stability when players are coming in and out on loan constantly.

OK, Jack Redshaw was a good capture (in his first spell) and i like the look of Walmsley and Miles, but as I have already said, it is about consistency and stability, building a team that can win promotion, stay together and take us to safety in the conference. I don't see this at Altrincham at the moment, I don't see any sense of direction or progression. Just picking XI players to get through the next match.

Finally, the biggest challenge LS will face if we don't get promoted this summer is keeping hold of Damian Reeves, hopefully his ties from their days together at Leeds and the fact Reevesy is quickly establishing himself as an alty legend will possibly swing it toward staying for another season.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:12:45 PM by RocketDan »

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

Finally, the biggest challenge LS will face if we don't get promoted this summer is keeping hold of Damian Reeves, hopefully his ties from their days together at Leeds and the fact Reevesy is quickly establishing himself as an alty legend will possibly swing it toward staying for another season.

I completely agree with this and that's why I think this season is likely to go down as a huge missed opportunity.

We have a top of the league attack and a midtable defence, hence we're seventh. I have a horrible premonition that we might have the seventh best attack and defence next season and so finish in the same place.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

Our biggest problem is staying in budget,it does hamper is or at least it did last season.when players are not on contract i dont think they are as commited  to the club.Having said that i would rather we stayed in this league and in budget than see the club run up massive debt and go out of business.

Why does everybody seem to view this in black and white? Why would you necessarily run up massive debt and go out of business?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »

If I can add my two-penny worth, by going back to hwne Lee Sinnott was originally made manager, and after our relegation. We all said the club should be rebuilt from scratch with a new manager and new players. We would be happy for this next season with a place outside the playoffs as we rebuilt the team. That was the opinion of most including myself, i seem to remember. To go straight back into the Conference Nationwide for probrably send us straight back down again after promotion from the playoffs. The cup wins we were hoping for unfortunately did not come off, so there has been no revenue from this particular stream to help build our squad. Lee has done his best to sign good players on a non-contract basis but this is difficult with our budget, including replacements. Considering we are now pushing for a playoff place, we are meeting our target for Lee's first season and I am generally pleased with what has happened so far, We are are target for our first season of rebuilding, even if we did not end up in the playoffs or even lost them. I would rather rebuild slowly than go for all or bust, and come straight back down again with debts.

Bishops were a team with poor results in the past, but have improved in the last few games and have turned in some good recent results, as have a lot of teams when we finally get to play them. How I wish the Stalybridge away fixture could have been swopped with yesterday game, we would probrably have ended up with two wins then!! See what I mean?

A team with non contract players who have had to make recent changes - three or four in our case - will have thse gliches but i am not too worried, we are still generally playing to a good standard, and I am enjoying myself more than last year!

Give it time guys, we are meeting the expectancy of the general fans view from last season and there is still a lot to play for. I am getting behind our management team and players and saying for it, but not too quickly where we end up in debt or relegated again!!

Steve from Sale
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team