PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Todays game  (Read 10485 times)

brian1925

Re: Todays game
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »

I'd like to echo those sentiments 100%. I thought the team were brilliant today and we can all feel rightly proud of them. To be completely honest, I'd fancy us to batter them in a replay and so did the pleasant Colwyn fans i spoke with at the end.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »

no premiership or championship matches today........so basically a load of committed 4th officials and assesors took the day off?

I would try to explain the system by which appointments are made Mark but you (a) Wouldn't be interested (b) Would just try to be witty about it and (c) Would just go off on one!!

So I can't be arsed.

If anyone is moderately interested (I'm not expecting any takers) pm me

Just wondering is it mandatory to have a fourth official at games, or as has been mentioned earlier, are the early rounds of FAC and FAT exempt due to the lack of officials? Have to admit my thoughts were if Colwyn Bay can afford a four man protection team for Sinclair, they could have afforded to pay a local referee to act as a fourth official, but if it isn't mandatory (perhaps optional), then Colwyn Bay were operating within the law of the game. However, still mightily  >:( with the fiasco at the end of the game.

If they make any decision other than awarding Alty the game the club should withdraw from the competition.

Utter garbage!

If it is decreed that the game has to be replayed, we simply turn up in North Wales again on Tuesday; turn them over once again and then walk away £4,000 better off.

Unfortunately not as easy for some of us who find it difficult to get to midweek games at Moss Lane, let alone some 90 miles from home.

If a fourth official is not appointed by the Competition then there is not a fourth official (officially)

Most Clubs however have a fan who is or was a qualified match official who could, if necessary, and with the agreement of both teams, step into the breach as has happened on more than one occasion at Moss Lane and very famously for those of a certain vintage happened once when Jimmy Hill came out of the stands to act as a substitute linesman

brian1925

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »

ATS, did the liner have the authority to force Colwyn to complete the game at the end if he deemed the volunteer liner to be fit and proper?

Baldrick

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »

I remember in 1983 the last few minutes of the Derby v Fulham game were missed when Derby fans invaded the pitch. The game was never replayed and the result stood. Different circumstances but maybe the same outcome should be the decision here.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »

1.If the game is abandoned, it has to be played again.
2.If a team refuses to accept an official (before or during the game), then the FA decide.
I fear that this ref may have botched it by officially abandoning the game instead of passing it on to the FA to decide the outcome.

What usually happens in such cases is that a member of the crowd (qualified ref) volunteers. It is highly unlikely that this official will NOT be a supporter of one of the teams, usually the home side. I recall an article in the NLP where a 17 year old lad came on as substitute assistant referee at Stafford - minors are permitted to do this provided that they are qualified referees as they are under adult supervision (the match referee). This has happened many times in the past especially in the days before fourth officials. How many spectators at any game can really classify themselves as neutral?

In today's instance, it is highly unlikely that a Colwyn Bay fan or official would have made themselves available. To a degree,I can see their objection to the replacement being an actual official of their opponents. I also question if their objection would have been the same had they been winning.  However there is little credibility to Frank Sinclair's objection, as a replacement referee would have very little influence as the Referee has final decision with any decisions and would over-rule any that he is not in agreement with, including the offside rule. Unless the FA Trophy competition rules say stipulate otherwise, there is no reason that the Referee taking over could not not have finished the game minus one of the assistant referees.

It is quite clear that Frank Sinclair saw an opportunity for this match to be officially abandoned and played again, and that he chose to reject any options given to both teams for the game to be finalized. I hope the FA realize that this game could have been completed, but history is not on our side with such FA decisions. I think we should make it quite clear that we do not not see why we should play the game again, from 0-0.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:42:46 PM by RedhillAlty »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

I remember in 1983 the last few minutes of the Derby v Fulham game were missed when Derby fans invaded the pitch. The game was never replayed and the result stood. Different circumstances but maybe the same outcome should be the decision here.

Same happened at the Manchester derby in 1974 at Old Trafford when United were relegated. However, playing the match again would not have changed the outcome of the final league table, as contrary to popular belief, United's fate was decided by the result of the Birmingham v Norwich match on the same day. United agreed for the result to stand although the game didn't conclude.

bumble

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »

Why on earth did we not play like this at Trafford?

Calm composed and some lovely stuff at time.

Down to Colwyn Bae on tuesday - No money to be spent at that club either.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »

It could have been a lot worse, we could have lost and had Simon with a 3 game ban. They have two players banned for the next game and one with a broken ankle.

All in all a rematch isnt a disaster.

I think that the 2 Colwyn Bay players sent off at Boston will be available this week as their suspensions start next Saturday.

Jimmy

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »

Good post that we did perform very well on a difficult away tie

VofD

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »

At least our name goes into the draw for the next round. That makes a pleasant change, doesn't it. ;) ;)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

Should the FA insist on the entire game being replayed we should withdraw from the competition.
1. Remember the way we deducted 18 points over the James Robinson fiasco and AFC Wimbledon only 3 for the same offence.
2. There seems to be one rule for Frank Sinclair and another for everyone else.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »

Should the FA insist on the entire game being replayed we should withdraw from the competition.
1. Remember the way we deducted 18 points over the James Robinson fiasco and AFC Wimbledon only 3 for the same offence.
2. There seems to be one rule for Frank Sinclair and another for everyone else.

Dont talk nonsense.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »

"Denis Law's backheel relegated United" is one of the biggest myths in football. As you say, they were down anyway. But good media copy I guess

Derby v Fulham was a different kettle of fish. Derby needed a point to stay up, Fulham needed to win to go up. Derby were winning with a few minutes to play.

Same happened at the Manchester derby in 1974 at Old Trafford when United were relegated. However, playing the match again would not have changed the outcome of the final league table, as contrary to popular belief, United's fate was decided by the result of the Birmingham v Norwich match on the same day. United agreed for the result to stand although the game didn't conclude.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

Just a final thought on all of this. Given there is no 4th official provided until the 1st Round, is it not assumed by the FA that in circumstances such as yesterday, both clubs should act in good faith and seek all reasonable means to complete the fixture ? Presumably this is why a qualified official was not required to run the line according to the referee.

By seemingly not exhibiting good faith are Colwyn Bay not in danger of bringing the game into disrepute?

....And they never gave me a shirt to go to China with, so there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:57:21 PM by JTH »

York Alty

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

What shall I do with my Colwyn Bay scarf? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays game