PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bowler & Thomson
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bowler & Thomson  (Read 10273 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Bowler & Thomson
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »

Can anybody confirm whether both these players are on contract?

If indeed they are, it looks like we could be saddled with two 'passengers' for the rest of the season and their wages would hamper the possibility of enhancing our squad.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Red N White Dynamite

Re: Bowler & Thomson
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:24 PM »

As far as I know hardly any players are on contracts now and those who are certainly don't earn much. Those days are gone.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:10 PM »

I seem to recall hearing that we had been obliged to offer both these players, together with Joe O'Neill and Steve Bushell contracts otherwise they would not have signed for us, so it seems that the answer to your question Sir Cult is yes

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

I thought on the website Justin stated he had a 1 year contract?

I think Joe is similar?

No idea about Peter, however he must be nearing match fitness? How did he play on Saturday for the reserves?

alty11

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »

bowler and thompson are both on contract, so ur right we are pretty much throwin money away till the end of the season

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »

Does anyone think Bowler should get more of a chance?

Only seen him twice and no one passed to him.

alty11

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:26:20 PM »

i think no1 passed to him cz he was that far wide he blended in with the lovely alty fans!!  ;D last time i watched him he just sat out on the wing and failed to get involved. maybe if he keeps impressin in the reserves he cud merit a chance but Lewis is before him any day in my opinion.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 07:48:43 PM »

I've seen Bowler in the reserves a couple of times and to be honest, he has not impressed. I can't see why we would put him on contract, surley if he did not perform we would be stuck with him.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:16:01 AM »

As I said earlier I'm sure I've read that a condition of them signing for us was that they would be contract players so it's not a matter of us looking at them and deciding - they'd have signed elsewhere

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »

Perhaps it would have been better if they did?

brian rooney

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »

Perhaps it would be better if we played them! If Thomson was fit enough to come on at the end of the Crawley game and then play for the reserves, surely he's worth a place on the bench at least. As for Bowler, he seems to have disappeared from the first team squad completely. Some clubs seem to organise friendly matches when they have weeks off. We've had a couple of free weeks lately, maybe the odd friendly match for the likes of Thomson and Bowler would be a good idea.
AltyBri

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 10:33:40 PM »

Having watched a few reserve games, Justin is less effective than Colin o n the wing, hence he is nowhere near the team. As for Peter, he must surely be near match fitness? Will Graham risk him for 45 minutes? I doubt it!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:45:33 PM »

Yeah, what I can't understand with Thompson is that he came on a sub for 2 mins at Grays then wasn't even in the squad for NCBA. God knows we need a fit striker.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »

Having watched a few reserve games, Justin is less effective than Colin o n the wing, hence he is nowhere near the team. As for Peter, he must surely be near match fitness? Will Graham risk him for 45 minutes? I doubt it!

Justin makes Pottsy look like Giggs (okay maybe not that good!) Other than the goal he scored in pre-season which counts for very little I have seen nothing from Bowler to impress me.

Thompson on the other hand looks good, what I think people have to remember is he has been out for a long time and is only part time, look at how long it took Eddie to come back. I'm sure GH does not want to risk him to early.

I could see why we would put Bush and maybe Thmpson on contract, but Bowler.... ???

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 11:13:53 PM »

Due to finance problems I think we panicked and perhaps Bush put in a good word for Justin?

I know we cannot rush players but it is frustrating for supporters, management and player?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bowler & Thomson