PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the squad
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: the squad  (Read 15261 times)

Alty 11

the squad
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »

after witnessing alty play a defensive 4.5.1 at home on saturday i cant help but feel like GH got it wrong. I personally dont like robbie playing in front of bush and val, i prefer him in the middle. in my opinion bush was poor on saturday and having lewis stuck on the right was a waste.  I fink lewis plays better on the left wing than on the right, maybe this is becasue he can link up better with warren than what he can with azza. But i still beleive he deserves his chance in the middle, what du fink to lewis and robbie in the middle?

Jenga

Re: the squad
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »

You can not play Lewis and Joe in the middle. Our midfield would be like a bucket full of holes.

alty11

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:04:33 PM »

who said joe in the middle??? i said lewis and robbie!!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »

after witnessing alty play a defensive 4.5.1 at home on saturday i cant help but feel like GH got it wrong.

We played 4-5-1, but it certainly didn't strike me as a defensive formation.

Not playing two out and out strikers doesn't automatically mean our formation was a defensive one.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »

But is a defensive formation when neither of our wide midfielders (Chalmers and Peyton on Saturday) offer us any real attacking options and don't get forward quickly enough to support the isolated figure of Colin Little.

Poor old Lewis started at right midfield, was then moved to left midfield when Potts arrived....and then ended up at right back when Aspinall was subbed!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:33 PM »

But is a defensive formation when neither of our wide midfielders (Chalmers and Peyton on Saturday) offer us any real attacking options and don't get forward quickly enough to support the isolated figure of Colin Little.

Poor old Lewis started at right midfield, was then moved to left midfield when Potts arrived....and then ended up at right back when Aspinall was subbed!

Did we play defensive football in the first half on Saturday?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:40:19 PM »

I think we created four real chances in the first half:
Colin Little's early miss;
a far post header from Karl Munroe
and two shots from Val Owen, one of which went in.

My point is that if we are going to play 4-5-1 then we must have wide players who are capable of supporting the lone striker and neither Peyton or Chalmers offer this, often because they are doubling up to support Aspinall and the out of position Scott.
Alas, Colin Potts doesn't look like the answer either.

We are the joint second lowest scorers in the Conference and have yet to register an away win after 10 attempts.

Something needs to change if we are to convert draws into potential wins.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:34:48 PM »

One of the biggst problems we have had over the past couple of seasons is that other than Colin nobody has scored more than 5 goals in a season!! We need to have another couple of confrence grade strikers??

markecky

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 06:04:33 PM »

"We need to have another couple of confrence grade strikers??"

Ingenius, why didn't we think of that sooner.  ;D

Johnnyjenga

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »

after witnessing alty play a defensive 4.5.1 at home on saturday i cant help but feel like GH got it wrong.

We played 4-5-1, but it certainly didn't strike me as a defensive formation.

Not playing two out and out strikers doesn't automatically mean our formation was a defensive one.

Good point, well made, fair cop - back to spec savers for me.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:54:44 PM »

I think we created four real chances in the first half:
Colin Little's early miss;
a far post header from Karl Munroe
and two shots from Val Owen, one of which went in.

So despite playing what you described as a 'defensive formation' we managed to create four good chances. That doesn't sound too defensive to me.

My point is that if we are going to play 4-5-1 then we must have wide players who are capable of supporting the lone striker and neither Peyton or Chalmers offer this, often because they are doubling up to support Aspinall and the out of position Scott.

I don't disagree about making better use of the wide areas, my point was that 4-5-1 is not an inherently defensive formation as many on here have suggested. This was clearly shown in the first half against Burton where we were the better 'attacking' side, whilst playing some of our best football going forward this season.

alty11

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »

IMO alty wud have played better 4,4,2. it seemed that all we did 1st half was pump the ball forward to a very lonely colin little who was being marked by two excellent centre halves. but hey ho everyone is entitled to there own opinion and in mine alty weren't great and GH cocked up starting with a 4,5,1. i can see ur point i just dnt agree  ;)

but it doesn't really matter does it?? cz none of us manage Alty thats GH's job we all just pass comment  ;D

Daycare Dan

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:52:14 PM »

I think we gotten better results from playing 4-5-1, the team looks a lot more solid, granted we have not scored many goals this season, and have missed Little. Maybe when Thompson is fully fit he could be the answer as the loan striker??

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »

"I don't disagree about making better use of the wide areas, my point was that 4-5-1 is not an inherently defensive formation as many on here have suggested. This was clearly shown in the first half against Burton where we were the better 'attacking' side, whilst playing some of our best football going forward this season."

Unfortunately, in the second half we were woeful as an attacking force!

I pray for an away win at Kidderminster on Saturday......but I just don't see it happening.

alty11

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »

what formation would you play saturday? and what players?

im going out on it here but id play 4,4,2 with

GK- Coburn/Acton
RB- Scotty
CH- Rose
CH- Munroe
LB- Peyton
RW- Rod
CM- Val
CM- Robbie
LW- Lewis
UF- Colin
UF- Joe