PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game  (Read 34983 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »

My first Alty game was against Glossop in the FA Cup, I think probably the 4th or 3rd Qualifying round in 1973 I think.   Mum and Dad wouldn't let us go to United at the time because of the aggro but thought Alty was fine, thats how I ended up supporting Alty as well.    Irony is, as posted elsewhere today, I probably was witness to a lot more aggro at Alty games in those times than I ever saw at United when I was watching them on a regular basis in the '80s!!!  Also in that first Alty game I remember Lennie Dickinson offering out members of the Popular side who were having a go at him!  Maybe Graham as a youngster at the time learned it all from Lennie!!

I think that this was a First Qualifying Round match & I think both full backs scored (Stan Allan & John Davison).Graham Hetahcote scored the first one,if I remember correctly, a calm side foot finish at the near post from a left wing cross (Chequers End).

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »

mine was fa cup 4q round at home leek town who were in manchester league at that time alty were three nil down and came back to win 4-3. then drew notts county at home and lost 1-0 to a penalty.from this point i was hooked on alty.

It was the F.A. Trophy.....3rd Qualifying Round if memory serves.Leek had a 100% record in the Manchester League (after about 10 games).Amazingly Leek's third goal wasn't scored until around the hour mark,but we went mad for about 15 minutes & scored four goals.Alan Wolfe scored at least one & John Cooke also was on the scoresheet I think.

A phenomenal game!!

We beat Ellesmere Port in the F.A. Cup 4th Qualifying Round.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

No idea as I think my dad used to take me down to games as a babby but first ones I remember Trowbridge at home 4-0 circa 1982 and Runcorn  at 1-3 goal by Paul Cruickshank, Gareth someone was in goal for us in 1983 sometime.

First away game a 2-1 win at Vics  ;D Davison penalty and Benno (first hero) I think, again about 1983.

Ballers,

5th November 1983
Altrincham 4 Trowbridge Town 0

29th August 1983
Altrincham 1 Runcorn 3
Benno was the scorer.
Alty local Gareth Smith was the goalkeeper.

13th October 1984
Vics 1 Altrincham 2
Goals by Gary Anderson and John Davison (pen).
Remember it well - our first league victory at The Drill Field since 1973!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »

The 2-2 at Moss Lane against Vics, late 1993.

Think this was mine too. Did we have a bald keeper in that match?

Yes, Wayne Baker was that very man.

That was Paul Rowlands's first game as Alty manager.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »

I'm old enough that I can't remember. I know they were the first 'proper' team I saw. Our next door neighbour took me along when I was 7 or 8 so it would have been 67 or 68.
I do remember that Jackie Swindles was the star of the team.
My favourite games in those days were the North West Floodlit league games (league games were played at 3pm on Saturday no matter what). Don't want to get all 'jumpers for goalposts' but watching footy in a big crowd (1500-2000 in those days I'd guess) on a school night was magical. I was hooked right there and then. 

I'm sure I  remember us beating Vics 8-1 in the floodlit league around that time but that might be false memory syndrome.

Excerpt from a programme article I wrote last season:

25th January 1969
Northern Premier League
ALTRINCHAM…8   NORTHWICH VICS…1

Freddie Pye had signed Don Weston from Chester City just 20 minutes prior to the kick-off and the ex-Leeds United striker proceeded to have an astonishing debut in front of 2,430 spectators. Amazingly, the Robins were 3-0 up after only four minutes. Weston scored with his first touch in the opening minute, flicking home a header from an Ian Morris cross, and then two goals from the right winger (who was on loan from Stockport County) duly followed. Weston added his second goal after 36 minutes but John Leigh replied for Vics three minutes later. Swindells netted via the penalty spot in the 64th minute and Alty’s midfield inspiration Mick Metcalf made it 6-1 after 79 minutes. Morris scored his third goal a minute later and then, with two minutes remaining, Weston stabbed the ball home to complete his hat-trick after being set up by Halliwell. This was Vics’ biggest defeat since Wrexham thrashed them by the same scoreline in 1960 and their manager Noel Kelly resigned in the aftermath of this ignominious drubbing. Weston played 16 games for Alty, scoring nine goals, before joining Bethesda.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »

I quite simply cannot remember.

All I know was that it was October 1974, and I went with a lad called Ian Haigh from my college. His dad owned the paper shop next door to the Fine Kettle. Previously I supported United, but found Old Trafford to be dodgy as they were going through trouble around those times. On complaining to Ian after a MUFC match on Saturday he said, 'I'm going to Alty tonight, why don't you come with me' It's a great atmosphere.

So I remember why I ended up here when I was 17, but no details of the game whatsoever.

Never looked back but still armchair fan of United, and go once in a while, IF Alty are'nt playing!!

Would appreciate who we played at home Oct 74 which would give me the answer.

Never realised it would last this long

Steve from Sale

Steve,

Alty's home fixtures in October 1974:

Monday 7th: Buxton 5-0
Saturday 19th: Morecambe 3-2
Monday 28th: Skelmersdale 5-0.

Hope that jogs the memory!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »

SW -"Somewhere I have an old programme for a game where the lights were used for the first time, I reckon 65 or 66. I'll have to dig it out."

- I think that programme was reprinted and given away as a souvenier edition last year for the first game of the new floodlights against Cambridge.

The Macc game talked about was Tuesday January 30th 1996 at moss Rose (att 1301, I've got a programme from that season in front of me). You are right that Macc cleared a hell of a lot of snow off the pitch to get that game on, so much so that you actually couldn't amke out what was on the advertising hoardings it was piled so high.

*Spits* They had a good team at the time and wanted to get it on so much as we had only won 1 of our previous 15 games (including *spits again* a truly dismal 0-4 reverse at home to Macc and 2 back to back xmas/nyd defeats v Vics *spits once more for effect*).

Now the scorers in the programme are down as Terry 2 (1 pen) and Dean Pritchard but no mention of a young man called Marc Clancy. Now if the memory serves, Clancy was a ginger haired winger plucked from Cheale Town and he DID play that night I'm sure of it. His sole purpose in the game seemed to be tracking up and down the wing man to man marking Darren Lyons I think it was, seriously he did nothing else of note except neutralise Lyons (who had totaly destroyed us at Moss Lane).

Now we attacked down the slope in the 1st half and went 2-0 up, both goals from Stuart Terry, the second one was a penalty awarded when Macc's keeper, a regular nemesis of ours called Steve Farrely got sent off for a professional foul, on Terry(?) but I remember it being quite dubious as it looked to be outside the area.

None the less 2-0 it was and macc had to put an outfield player in goal. i don't remember who but I think it could have a right cock called Steve Wood!

Needless to say, this being Alty we managed to throw away the two goal lead, before Dean Pritchard broke away late on (83rd minute springs to mind but certainly in the last 10) cut inside from the wing (main stand side?) and lashed a shot past the 'outfield' goalkeeper.

Quite an astonishing win and night, I think a bottle got thrown at the supporters coach after as well. In fact this might be a spine tingling Alty moment.

I've got that largely right haven't I Flynny/Cult/Ecky/Joe/Pete/Others??

Sod it, whilst we're on memory lane the programme lists the team as

1.  Paul Collings
2.  Steve Cross
3.  Darren Heesom
4.  Paul France
5.  Andy Reid
6.  Lee Anderson
7.  Stuart Terry
8.  Neil Doherty  ::)
9.  Dean Pritchard
10. Neill Hardy

Ah I see the mis print now.

11. Marc Clancy

Subs

12. Darren Royle (came on for Clancy)
13. Jerome John (GK about the size of Chris Senior)
14. Mick Carmody ?
15. Phil Bolland :o (yes Cambridge's current centre half!, came on for Dean Pritchard)

Also programmes reveal that the Runcorn game I remember as my first was in August 1983 (Gareth Smith was in goals), I would have been 4 at the time and have come to home games regularly ever since (missed a few 2000-2005 whilst atrociously impersonating a footballer, although jsut realised I played with or against 6 of the players mentioned above***) which all in all means I have been supporting Alty for 25 years now. 25 YEARS, that's incredible, I can't believe that, I'm going to buy a birthday cake now and celebrate tonight!!  ;D ;D

*** A slice of cake if you can guess the 6, clue - a few of them became 'Robins' for another club after leaving Alty.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:05:13 PM by Ballers »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »

when did the floodlights arrive? i remember being pretty young and sitting with my dad watching a flloodlit match
i still love night matches more than afternoon ones

4th April 1966
Cheshire County League 
Altrincham 4 Witton Albion 3

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

First game was Welling at home in 1987. Pretty non-descript - we won 1-0 if I remember correctly although I was only five at the time.

Mark,

Could it have been this one?

30th January 1988
Altrincham 1 Welling United 0
Goal courtesy of Ossie Smith.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »

No idea as I think my dad used to take me down to games as a babby but first ones I remember Trowbridge at home 4-0 circa 1982 and Runcorn  at 1-3 goal by Paul Cruickshank, Gareth someone was in goal for us in 1983 sometime.

First away game a 2-1 win at Vics  ;D Davison penalty and Benno (first hero) I think, again about 1983.

Ballers,

5th November 1983
Altrincham 4 Trowbridge Town 0 Cheers Cult, I was right Leo Skeete scored in this match. My dad used to take me to games but was away driving a coach for Shearings, my mum took me and we sat on the grass bank, GRASS BANK AGGRO GARSS BANK AGGRO HELLO HELLO, according to my old dear she had a streaming cold  :-[

29th August 1983
Altrincham 1 Runcorn 3
Benno was the scorer. :o  I disagree, I'm not going back into the cellar to find the programme again but I'm sure it was Paul Cruickshank at the Chequers end, unless I'm getting confused with an FA Cup tie v Doncaster (whcih I think Benno scored a headerat the Golf Road in)
Alty local Gareth Smith was the goalkeeper.

13th October 1984
Vics 1 Altrincham 2
Goals by Gary Anderson and John Davison (pen).
Remember it well - our first league victory at The Drill Field since 1973!
Penalty was at the uncovered end wasn't it?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »

I hope some one can tell me the first game I went to.

It was after the firework display at the ground midweek in either 1972 or '73 and Alty were playing at home that Saturday.

Jezza,

Possible candidates for your first game:

11th November 1972
FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round
Altrincham 4 Leek Town 3

10th November 1973
NPL
Altrincham 4 Bradford Park Avenue 1

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

It will be my 30th anniversary as an fully fledged Alty fan this year.
My dad used to take me to Moss Lane as toddler in the late 60's, I don't remember anything of those days other than rolling down the grass bank at the chequers end. We moved out of the area in the early 70's and returned in about 75. My dad always watched out for the Alty scores in the pink and I remember standing in the scoreboard end at Old Trafford for the replay against Everton. But at some point during the 1978/1979 season I went to my first Alty match on my own, a win over Bangor City, and that was that, I was hooked.
Perhaps one of you statto's out there could remind me of the date and score ( I seem to remember it being 3-0 but could be wrong)

Could it be this one?

16th September 1978
NPL
Altrincham 3 Bangor City 2

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »

My first Alty game was against Glossop in the FA Cup, I think probably the 4th or 3rd Qualifying round in 1973 I think.   Mum and Dad wouldn't let us go to United at the time because of the aggro but thought Alty was fine, thats how I ended up supporting Alty as well.    Irony is, as posted elsewhere today, I probably was witness to a lot more aggro at Alty games in those times than I ever saw at United when I was watching them on a regular basis in the '80s!!!  Also in that first Alty game I remember Lennie Dickinson offering out members of the Popular side who were having a go at him!  Maybe Graham as a youngster at the time learned it all from Lennie!!

I think that this was a First Qualifying Round match & I think both full backs scored (Stan Allan & John Davison).Graham Hetahcote scored the first one,if I remember correctly, a calm side foot finish at the near post from a left wing cross (Chequers End).

15th September 1973
FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Altrincham 3 Glossop North End 1
Goalscorers: Broadhead, Allan and Heathcote (G).

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »

Also, just out of interest (who's sad?) while I've got the programme from the 1996-97 season in front of me. The memory plays tricks sometimes with reagrds to how things used to be.

Our top 5 home attendances during the 1996-97 season

3,063 v Crewe Alex FA Cup 1st rd - 0-2 - 21/11/95
1,648 v Macc - 0-4 - 18/11/95
1,085 v Halifax - 3-0 - 23/09/95
1,076 v Vics - 3-4 - 1/1/96
1,057 v Bath City - 1-2 - 7/10/95

Our only attendances above 1000 in fact. Lowest league atts 580 v Farnborough 2-2 Tue 24 feb 96, 608 v Stalybridge 1-0 Tu 23 Apr 96 and 633 v Telford 1-0 Sat 16 Dec 95.

Average 852.

About 200 per game better now, couldn't imagine we'd get less than 1,700 against Macc and pretty certain we'll get more than 1,076 when we play Vics on New Years Day.

Alty v Vics games not as well attended through the 80's and 90's as you'd think actually.

Hemel Dave

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »

Cult.  Thank you so much for the report of the Alty 8 -1 vs. Vics.

That was my first ever game, and you could atrgue that nothing has ever beaten that since (including Wembley, Spurs the first time, Everton, Eastbourne  etc).  My memories are sketchy but I remember us kicking to the Golf Road in the first half and me being amazed that there were so many goals.  I vaguely remember a 1-1 against Boston as my second game soon after because the players had to go off for 20 minutes because of a monsoon.  

The only 2 times I have ever sat in the main stand.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game