PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game  (Read 34977 times)

YorkyAlty

Re: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »

I first came in 1986, I was a Man U fan and my mum didn't want me to go to OT so she suggested Alty, I was 16 and I went to most home games.

Last season I met a wonderful lady (unfortunately a York City fan) and with rising prices at OT I decided to see how Moss Lane had changed

It hadn't!!!

So my first game was in 1986 but first recent game was the Alty v York 2-2 draw last season with ladyfriend in the away end!!

Have been to 4 games this season (Lewes, Salisbury, Mansfield and Barrow) and hoping to get to some away games soon.

Dave (can be seen with 2 kids sporting Alty shirts!!)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »

Nice one Dave.

I really can't remember which was my first game but it was the 90-91 season that got me hooked as an 11-year-old - even after we were denied promotion in the last few games! I've been supporting Alty through thick and thin ever since - mainly thin - but there have been some memorable FA Cup games against Wigan and Chester - although I had to miss the Spurs game :(
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »

Ellesmere Port Town at home, August 1971. I was 9. Won 4-2 I think. Dennis Fidler, Johnny Worth, Willie Mailey, Merrick Corfield, I remember it all even now. I believe Jackie Swindells finished the season before?  I stood on The Golf Rd with my dad, some old fella gave me a Blue Riband chocolate bar. I also had wanted to go to Old Trafford, it was probably nearer living off Dane Rd in Sale but my dad was having none of it. Lucky escape eh? It was 15p in then for me and 5p for The Robins Review, which always had the same redded over photo on the front together with the Hawkers of Altrincham ad at the top.

Went to most home games and several away from then on until moving away in 1982.

Before that day my knowledge of football came from schoolfriends and occasionally being allowed to watch MOTD; although Sunday afternoons Granada showed almost always Utd/City/Liverpool/Everton. As Jim in London says, it was a lot about mates, belonging etc and that's how I felt as I grew older and started going by myself and getting to know people. Something I knew from a young age would not be present at 1st division football.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Butty

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »

Home to Whitby Town in the Unibond, 3rd January, won 4-0, in front of just 501 people... how we've moved on since then..

Narcissist

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

I can't remember which one of these was first, but it was either:

Beating Welling at home in the mid 90s. They brought two fans and a flag, poor sods. One of their defenders blatantly handled in the box, ref didn't give it. Then another one of their defenders handled about 5 seconds later, ref did give it this time. Still, their players went mental at the ref. Bizarre!

Remember this game. Think we won 2-0 and the other goal was a bullet header into the top corner....by their right back.

My first game was a 0-0 draw with Barrow at home in the Trophy roughly '88/89. First away was Macc Town, 1-1 draw i think in the same season or next.

I went to loads of games around then. Remember us 'throwing' the title away not long after and just being too young to understand what it was all about.

The kids go free ticket in the messenger in the 90's got me seriously hooked and I never looked back. Now that I can't get to many games i'm hooked more than ever, and my biggest regret is putting work first in the last few years before I moved away. Dont ever take Alty for granted, go to as many games as you can, CSC the lot. Thats my advice!

andrewflynn

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

not too sure, but have been going since i was four, so ten years ago.

i think i can recall watching alty vs yeovil though, i'll look into it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:56:42 PM by andrewflynn. »

gunners11

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »

alty vs runcorn 1986 alty won 1-0 ellis the scorer can anyone remember that game it was at old wembley cup match

nimega

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

Alty 3 Crewe 0 in the FA Cup 1st round, I think in 1980 but could be 1981.

I was about 12 years old at the time and went on my own. Attendance was 5001. I was the 1 :)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »

My first game was in the Cheshire League - but I don't remember it - probably in the 66-67 season.  I remember not being allowed to go to the Crewe FA cup match in 68 or to a league match with Wigan in December 67 or 68 because my dad told me the crowd would be too big!  I remember seeing the 8-1 drubbing of Vics in the NPL in January 69 before heading off to live in New Zealnad for 3 years.

My first match back was a 5-2 win over Lancaster City at the end of the 71-72 season when a sizable proportion of the crowd got verbally frustrated with a 16 year old Graham Heathcote.

I think my first floodlight match was a 2-2 draw with Bangor City in August 72, and my first away game a 2-2 with Ellesmere Port Town in the same month.  First time on the coach was for a 0-0 at Buxton in the FA Cup in September 1972.  

I had one of those tingling moments with a 3-2 win at Moss Rose on a bitterly cold Easter Monday, offset  by a 3-2 defeat to the same opposition at Edgely Park in the CSC SF (40 yard own goal from DAve Mobley in extra time to lose it)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 06:36:19 PM »

Alty v Runcorn 1986 was of course the Trophy final - Farrelly was the scorer: our last major trophy!

Alty v Crewe was November 1979 and followed by perhaps our best FA Cup away win ever 2-0 at Rotherham, only 3 years after getting drubbed 5-0 there (and drawing 0-0 with Scarborough as Mickey Moore missed that penalty)

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »

Cheshire Senior Cup Final 1982. The 1-0 win against Runcorn at Gresty Road. I lived in Crewe at the time. My dad took me to the game. I don't remember much about the game. I was only 7 at the time. I remember we scored after about 5 minutes(I think). I remember the Cup being presented in the old wooden stand.
They really should be beating teams like us

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »

And that was Phil Gardner after 4 minutes.  I thought I'd never ever see us win the CSC after the three replays against Vics a couple of seasons earlier and the CAmmell Laird and SAndbach Ramblers debacles

Bazbatteria

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

My mate and I chatting on a music forum earlier..

[bazbatteria] you noticed the upturn in Alty's form ? 13 points from 15. now 14th in table.
(18:41) [squareball] It hasn't gone unnoticed mate. Tidy win at the weekend
[bazbatteria] Oxford at Moss Lane on Sunday
[bazbatteria] bit of a discussion on the forum right now about first Alty game. was it someone like Dover Athletic in Sept 99?
(18:51) [squareball] I always thought it was Woking at home...
(18:51) [squareball] the year would have been 99 thought
[bazbatteria] 18/9/99 H WOKING 1-1 1-1 1006 Landon 4
[bazbatteria] good call
(18:54) [squareball] thats the bastard - I remember the score, both goals were in the first half
[bazbatteria] I remenber your blossoming relationship with the Woking keeping from the Golf Road End!!!!
(18:57) [squareball] yeah I made my mark that day. Can't believe I abused him as much as I did

mr f.trucker

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »

Racking my brains to remember,probably against Mossley  in the late 70's.

Vague i know but that's me.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »

I quite simply cannot remember.

All I know was that it was October 1974, and I went with a lad called Ian Haigh from my college. His dad owned the paper shop next door to the Fine Kettle. Previously I supported United, but found Old Trafford to be dodgy as they were going through trouble around those times. On complaining to Ian after a MUFC match on Saturday he said, 'I'm going to Alty tonight, why don't you come with me' It's a great atmosphere.

So I remember why I ended up here when I was 17, but no details of the game whatsoever.

Never looked back but still armchair fan of United, and go once in a while, IF Alty are'nt playing!!

Would appreciate who we played at home Oct 74 which would give me the answer.

Never realised it would last this long

Steve from Sale
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game