PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game  (Read 34982 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk

So what was your first Alty game, just for the 'newer' members to get an idea when people got hooked on Alty ....

DarrenH

1977-78 FA Trophy Final at Wembley !!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk

oh .. 4th April 1987 - v Enfield - 5.1

radcliffe alty

The 2-2 at Moss Lane against Vics, late 1993.

Alex

a tuesday night game with Barrow in 2002/03 ? (a week before the last manchester derby at maine road) can't remember the score.

however the first match i went to that was followed by me going to every home game after was a year later at home to nuneaton when marcus "elvis" hallows scored a beauty, i got a season ticket the year after and havn't looked back.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

No idea as I think my dad used to take me down to games as a babby but first ones I remember Trowbridge at home 4-0 circa 1982 and Runcorn  at 1-3 goal by Paul Cruickshank, Gareth someone was in goal for us in 1983 sometime.

First away game a 2-1 win at Vics  ;D Davison penalty and Benno (first hero) I think, again about 1983.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

a tuesday night game with Barrow in 2002/03 ? (a week before the last manchester derby at maine road) can't remember the score.

however the first match i went to that was followed by me going to every home game after was a year later at home to nuneaton when marcus "elvis" hallows scored a beauty, i got a season ticket the year after and havn't looked back.

Was that the one played on Bonfire night when it felt like we were playing in Beirut ??? A great game which we lost 2-1.

Alex

it was now i come to think of it, i remeber a penaulty or somthing deciding the game?

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The 2-2 at Moss Lane against Vics, late 1993.

Think this was mine too. Did we have a bald keeper in that match?

My dad did bring me to a match in my pre-school years although don't think we stayed very long after I got bored!  :o

Longman

Alty V Dover Athletic, 24th Feb 1994.

I think I went to earlier games, however I still have my Robins Review from that game!

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »

I'm old enough that I can't remember. I know they were the first 'proper' team I saw. Our next door neighbour took me along when I was 7 or 8 so it would have been 67 or 68.
I do remember that Jackie Swindles was the star of the team.
My favourite games in those days were the North West Floodlit league games (league games were played at 3pm on Saturday no matter what). Don't want to get all 'jumpers for goalposts' but watching footy in a big crowd (1500-2000 in those days I'd guess) on a school night was magical. I was hooked right there and then. 

I'm sure I  remember us beating Vics 8-1 in the floodlit league around that time but that might be false memory syndrome.

I think this is the thing that modern big club managers miss. If you get a kid hooked at 8 or 9, he (or she) will stay with you until they have a large disposable income to spend on season tickets and replica kits.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »

I honestly can't remember. I was about 5 or 6, so early 1980's.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »

my dad would go in the early 70s when united werent playing and i would sometimes go . all i remember is sitting in the stand and being bored.
went to the blackburn game with my brother but dont remember that either
i started going to games with a group from school in 1976. i dont have any clear memory but i think it wasnt anything good or important as the othes werent very bothered, whereas i was blown away by it.
for me it was as much about the mates and cameraderie and sense of belonging - us against the world

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »

it was now i come to think of it, i remeber a penaulty or somthing deciding the game?

Craney put us ahead with a great strike & Barrow's goals were an own goal(Gary Talbot) & a penalty.

I have the video somewhere!

fuertes

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »

I can't remember which one of these was first, but it was either:

Beating Welling at home in the mid 90s. They brought two fans and a flag, poor sods. One of their defenders blatantly handled in the box, ref didn't give it. Then another one of their defenders handled about 5 seconds later, ref did give it this time. Still, their players went mental at the ref. Bizarre!

Losing 2-1 to Bath who were nineteenth at the time. A big crowd of us from Stamford Park School went along; the club used to give us free tickets. Even though we lost to a sh*t team it was a brilliant afternoon, nothing beats a bit of footy!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seeing as we have a lot of new members - An Old Question - First Alty Game