PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sorry to break it to you...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Sorry to break it to you...  (Read 34366 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry to break it to you...
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »

Has anyone had the chance to take a look on eBay to see just how much Goodwin and his disciples are actually selling the soul of Altrincham FC for?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Popeye

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »

Has anyone had the chance to take a look on eBay to see just how much Goodwin and his disciples are actually selling the soul of Altrincham FC for?

Thinking of bidding?

Narcissist

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

in a community which football has forgotten, which do exist in some parts of Greater Manchester but not obviously in Altrincham or Bury.

can you name such a community?

Good point. There is a hardly a corner of this country that has been forgotten by football.

There are however a fair few non-league clubs that are forgotten by the local community. Wherever you lay down roots you will add another to the list.

It depends how you read the term “forgotten”, obviously football is the national sport, but football to me is about participating and attending, not just bending over backwards to pay for Sky in the home.  FC in the early days went to some of the councils in Greater Manchester and asked them, where is there a gap in community provision for football.  We now operate in these gaps and offer training sessions, giving us good working relationships with various councils and grroups.

I also believe that many deprived areas are excluded from some bigger local clubs by price, which is where the non league should step in and I can only talk about FC and some of the work that we have done.  You no doubt could talk about Alty and their good work.

Newton Heath was mentioned, as was the presence of Droylsden being 2 miles away.  Put it this way, If Manchester City council believes that Droylsden or Manchester City for that matter are both doing a good enough job in these areas for offering football provision and/or giving something back.  Then the suggestion of Newton Heath being a home for FC is a non starter, as we’d have too many cooks obviously, but we shall see.

Surely you mean that people have forgotten football, not vice-versa?

Every community has a local football team. If people feel priced out of the 'big' clubs or immobilised by the in-home stadium of sky sports they can look to their local clubs. Im not sure manchester needs another local club. Maybe it just needs to be advertised to people that there are other local options.

If you find a community within Manchester that needs your club then fair play to you but I think that the community provides the football club for itself not the other way round.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »

Thinking of bidding?

Don't tell anyone....but I'm acting as proxy for Malcolm Glazer.....

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Popeye

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »

Thinking of bidding?

Don't tell anyone....but I'm acting as proxy for Malcolm Glazer.....

Do yourself a favour mate, dont buy the club for him, you wont be paid back that quickly  ;)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

I can only imagine this decision was made for money and I didn't realise we were that desperate. Should make for lively debate at the fans forum.

timperley

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »

People should stop moaning, we'll probally get knocked out in the first qualifiers of both cups anyway ;) ;D

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

So, what's the next PR masterstroke from the Alty Board?

Announcing that Mike Connett has joined the Board of Directors at Moss Lane, perhaps?

Frankly, nothing they do next would surprise me now.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »

Do yourself a favour mate, dont buy the club for him, you wont be paid back that quickly

yeah but he can get us a Football Championship and Euro Cup final ??.. Not bad  ;)

fuertes

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »

The whining on here is almost unbelievable. Altrincham FC are a football club. They have chosen to allow another football club from the Greater Manchester area, FC United, to use their ground for cup games next season. This will generate extra income for Altrincham FC, and perhaps forge a good working relationship with another club.

All complaints about this are pitiful:

- A couple of FC United idiots started trouble at Moss Lane once. They were strongly condemned by their own club and subsequently banned. Hence, not an issue.

- As shown by the Leigh RMI example, FC United don't want to launch a takeover of another club (it would be the height of hypocrisy if they did). Hence, not an issue.

- Any kid prefering to watch good quality/winning footy can already do one of two things; a) Watch United on telly, b) Hop on a tram and watch FC United destroy whoever they play. Hence, not an issue.

They'll probably get drawn at home once, get knocked out, 2000 attendance and people will be left feeling like total muppets for claiming Altrincham had lost its soul or was on the verge of extinction or some other outlandish and ridiculous statement.

alty_fc_senny

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:18 PM »

Really annoyed about this but i can see why they have done it and i can see FCUM playing all there home games at Moss Lane in 2009  >:(

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

The whining on here is almost unbelievable. Altrincham FC are a football club. They have chosen to allow another football club from the Greater Manchester area, FC United, to use their ground for cup games next season. This will generate extra income for Altrincham FC, and perhaps forge a good working relationship with another club.

- A couple of FC United idiots started trouble at Moss Lane once. They were strongly condemned by their own club and subsequently banned. Hence, not an issue.

- As shown by the Leigh RMI example, FC United don't want to launch a takeover of another club (it would be the height of hypocrisy if they did). Hence, not an issue.

- Any kid prefering to watch good quality/winning footy can already do one of two things; a) Watch United on telly, b) Hop on a tram and watch FC United destroy whoever they play. Hence, not an issue.

They'll probably get drawn at home once, get knocked out, 2000 attendance and people will be left feeling like total muppets for claiming Altrincham had lost its soul or was on the verge of extinction or some other outlandish and ridiculous statement.

My comment about the club losing its soul does not just relate to the FCUM issue.

markecky

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Popeye

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »

Do yourself a favour mate, dont buy the club for him, you wont be paid back that quickly

yeah but he can get us a Football Championship and Euro Cup final ??.. Not bad  ;)

If it was a toss up between keeping up with my own mortgage repayments or keeping up with Malcolm's, Id go with my own mortgage repayments Im afraid, wasnt always this way, thats life i guess.  :(

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »

I wonder if there will still be the usual pre-season tidy up and paint job on the ground, or we'll just wait until next year when clearing everything into skips  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sorry to break it to you...