PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sorry to break it to you...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Sorry to break it to you...  (Read 34367 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry to break it to you...
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 01:57:36 PM »

Ii think most fcum fans would ideally have them play within the city of manchester if they voted on it -certainly not altrincham other than short term.I'mmsure representatives will be meeting up with manchester city council or so i have read.

Jezza

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

I could guarantee a virtually unanimous vopte against it.

could you now?...one of the problems of trust run clubs is that they are bound by democratic decisions...and whatever a board tends to recommened tends to get voted through.

I'm sure AFC wimbledon felt the same way in principal....whatever happened to that club who used to play at their current ground?

I remember going to AFC wimbledon's first home match and i was with a mate who didn't know the story
"why thye playing here? it's miles from Wimbledon?" he asked
"because the proper wimbledon moved to Milton keynes" I answered
"that's probably closer" reasoned my mate and i was unable to persuade him of any good reason for AFC Wimbledon after that.

As an aside and out of interest what's to stop 3,000 genuine utd fans or maybe 3,000 disgruntled BSP fans who don't want the competition joining your trust and voting to close it?

markecky

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »

I daren't look on the FC United forum but I must point out that my dismay at this is nothing to do with the "incident" that was mentioned in the debate on the friendly.  Its not even about FC United....for me its this...

Next season Jonny (aged 12) comes to Moss Lane and see's us play Wrexham (I'm still hoping for a repreive!).  They are flying at the top of the league, beating everyone.  We play a 4-5-1, contain them well and get a good 0-0 draw.  Its a great point to the older fans.  However we only had one shot....

The Saturday after FC United are playing FC Ford Focus or some sh*t in the Trophy...they win easily 4-0....3,000 in the ground..one of their goals was even from near the half way line.

Jonny would say that watching Alty was rubbish but watching FC united was brilliant.  Maybe his Dad would take him up to Bury or wherever to see them play again....

Short term its £2,000 to us..long term its a lot of money lost.

VofD

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »

The announcement of the friendly was bad enough, but to host their cup games next year, whatever the short-term financial benefit, is one of the worst business decisions ever taken by the club in my eyes. It has been stated on numerous occasions that they would see Moss Lane as an ideal permanent home and this latest development serves merely to fuel that idea further. If people cannot see the potential harm to the future of Altrincham F.C. then they need their heads testing.

Could be a good coach contract up for grabs to ferry the FCUM team about from their "home" at Moss Lane?????????????????

Popeye

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »

Hello

FC Fan here, I have been following this and the FSCUM thread with great interest over the past couple of days, some funny and dramatic posts going on this forum about FC it has to be said.

With regards to this decision, I think you all need to calm down a bit.  FC before their first season had even started was offered a merger with Leigh RMI which we quite rightly refused, so to suggest that after 3 promotions and countless successes off the pitch with community projects across an ever expanding supporter led ground fund, that we are somehow going to go back on all that is quite silly really. 

As well as that, a few of you have implied that FC shouldn’t really exist, that if United fans had beef with their “owners” that we shouldn’t have been formed, that we should have actually supported other non league clubs instead like Alty for example.  But on this subject of ground share for games which may not happen, you now suggest that you feel threatened by these same supporters, maybe its all about names, but both in reality mean 2,500 reds coming over the hill whichever way you look at it, except one is just going to be a couple of times a season probably, with the added advantage that you keep your independence as a club and get a bit of money from it.

Obviously I cannot speak for every member at FC, but I am pretty sure that like with Leigh RMI, we have no desires to take over at Altrincham.  You exist, you have a proud history and a tradition to upkeep, it’s no business of FC’s or its fan base, to get involved with it and take it over, we are a relatively new United supporters club, not an Altrincham one.

As many of you who have been following FC from afar may have noticed, we don’t currently have a ground, but this will change, I along with many others, put their own money into the club’s ground fund so that this is achieved.  We have supporter standing orders set up for to the club as well as supporter led events which further boost this kitty known as “The Development Fund”.  This we hope will ensure that one day soon, we can finally get a home of our own (I’ll repeat that again), a home of our own, in a community which football has forgotten, which do exist in some parts of Greater Manchester but not obviously in Altrincham or Bury.

And contrary to some claims, FC play 99% of their home fixtures Gigg Lane, a ground I might add which has no signs that FC play there other then on match days.

I hope this eases some of your worries, if not, well I did try
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:08:13 PM by Popeye »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »

Its all about alty losing fans but if alty are doing well and fc arent ( prob be other way around I know ) then little Johnny may just prefer alty at his age.I agree the friendly incident should be done and dusted .You cant make someone suppurt a club just  because they live i somewhere .What percentage of footy fans in alty class alty as their first club? Less than 10 % i suspect.

Jezza

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »

I wonder if anyone has worked out if we should get FCUM at home in the cup and or trophy in the 1st round we enter...and they beat us....and go onto play Leeds away or something.................................

Would we break even on the groundshare deal?

Jezza

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

in a community which football has forgotten, which do exist in some parts of Greater Manchester but not obviously in Altrincham or Bury.

can you name such a community?

Popeye

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »

in a community which football has forgotten, which do exist in some parts of Greater Manchester but not obviously in Altrincham or Bury.

I dont know, somewhere round Navigation Road perhaps?  ;D

Im not in the business of naming sites, I leave that to my elected board and the relevant council who is also elected about such a development.  But if your asking, my own view, thats mine, is that there are areas particulary in Northern Manchester where I think FC could have a positive impact.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »

Im not in the business of naming sites, I leave that to my elected board and the relevant council who is also elected about such a development.  But if your asking, my own view, thats mine, is that there are areas particulary in Northern Manchester where I think FC could have a positive impact.

newton heath where it all began

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »

newton heath where it all began

That's 2 miles from Droylsden and even less from the City of Manchester Stadium!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Narcissist

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »

Good point. There is a hardly a corner of this country that has been forgotten by football.

There are however a fair few non-league clubs that are forgotten by the local community. Wherever you lay down roots you will add another to the list.

doctorsax

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »

That's 2 miles from Droylsden and even less from the City of Manchester Stadium!

Like he said, somewhere that football has forgotten  ;D

I think other posters have got it right, that some need to calm down a little. We DON'T WANT to be in Altrincham, other than as a temporary measure. That's why I, and many others, have standing orders paying money into a development fund. We want to be as close to Manchester as possible.

We also had this hysteria in Bury, once they realised it wasn't all going to be over by the first Christmas, ans there are no signs that we are "stealing" their support - and we wouldn't want to.

Perhaps some of Alty's problems are shown by the poster who says that the "problem" with trust-run clubs is that they are bound by democratic decisions. So you prefer being dictated to by a person or persons who put their own interests ahead of those of the fans? Breathtaking.

However, a poster on the FC board makes a good point, that FC provide a great matchday experience, putting on fun stuff for kids, and a social event for adults before every match, featuring up-and-coming Manchester bands and comedians - all run by volunteers.

Maybe the doomlords on here could stop whingeing about the Red peril and have a look at how you can inject a bit of life back into Alty.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »

from what i can see any games played at alty are a temp thing

they want their own home in manchester ( city of if poss ) not altrincham or bury  which arent m/c

And there is no way they would try to take over at alty or bury totally aginst why they set up in the first place

I have no problem with them short term .

Popeye

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Good point. There is a hardly a corner of this country that has been forgotten by football.

There are however a fair few non-league clubs that are forgotten by the local community. Wherever you lay down roots you will add another to the list.

It depends how you read the term “forgotten”, obviously football is the national sport, but football to me is about participating and attending, not just bending over backwards to pay for Sky in the home.  FC in the early days went to some of the councils in Greater Manchester and asked them, where is there a gap in community provision for football.  We now operate in these gaps and offer training sessions, giving us good working relationships with various councils and grroups.

I also believe that many deprived areas are excluded from some bigger local clubs by price, which is where the non league should step in and I can only talk about FC and some of the work that we have done.  You no doubt could talk about Alty and their good work.

Newton Heath was mentioned, as was the presence of Droylsden being 2 miles away.  Put it this way, If Manchester City council believes that Droylsden or Manchester City for that matter are both doing a good enough job in these areas for offering football provision and/or giving something back.  Then the suggestion of Newton Heath being a home for FC is a non starter, as we’d have too many cooks obviously, but we shall see.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sorry to break it to you...