Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...  (Read 7647 times)

markecky

« on: November 06, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »

Do you think that Millwalls reputation is putting off fans?  I think it might be which is tragic really.

We all need to play our part in reassuring people that the necessary measures are in place to ensure a happy afternoon.  This will one of the most policed games at Moss Lane ever with police inside and outside.  There will also be large numbers of stewards in place and search procedures at the turnstiles (as per official site)

If anyone is wary of any trouble (or bringing a young family) then maybe if they cannot be convinced otherwise they should consider the stand.  There will be no Millwall fans in there at all (bar a small block of officials) so no chance of any trouble.

I think that people have seen the problems at Leeds and think most Millwall games are like that.  Its lads v lads..likeminded people fighting like minded people.   These people don't attack families and young kids, and its debatable if they will travel to Alty anyway.

I think the club need to publicise the work that has gone in to arranging this game from a security angle to reassure the floating fan of a great day out.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »

There defiantly needs to be more coverage of the game to reassure people and explain the ticket situation, it would be such a shame for Alty to loose money on this game.  >:(

The Fan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »

Im 99% sure it will be such talk of trouble is something and nothing but I reckon its a sure fire bet that certain people will not come based on the fear factor.

I, as Ecky says, really hope not. I really hope the atmosphere is one of excitement at the thought of a big cup tie - not one of intimidation. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:40:09 PM by markecky »

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:58 PM »

We have sold 1200 tickets so far which is 50% up on our usual home attendance.

Historically we sell 3000-4000 for such an FA Cup match.

So something is clearly wrong.

I feel there are three contributory factors all to a smaller and lesser degree.

1) How much advertising has been made? Last weeks messenger had a small article about the Millwall game on the inside cover. Nothing jumps out at you that it is ticket only.  When the messenger is released this week it should clearly show it is all ticket. The problem is that many people dont get the paper until Friday night when they get home from work, when it will be too late to purchase tickets. Even if they get it Thursday it leaves them one day to get a ticket. We need to adviertise on Granada, the Metro Newspaper, the MEN and perhaps the local radio stations if costs permit. Get the legends on Century to do a spot on us. A sign in Altrincham will also help and of course word of mouth. But this needs to be done now to give people time to get tickets.

2) Altrinchams poor performances. This may have hindered ticket sales in that people expect us to get beat. Lets face it we are not playing well at the moment.  Maybe people know we wont sell out and are just hanging on until later in the week, this however I dont think would be true.

3) Millwall fans I do feel is a legitimate factor. They have a repudation and Millwall fans themselves openly admit this. However as has been said before there is no history with our clubs and they have bigger fish to fry than an 80 year old OAP. Have we, ourselves, exacerbated this factor by writing so much on the forum from the word go about Millwall fans and potential trouble? Will this itself affect tickets, then probably not, as we are talking about the floating fans not buying tickets. The regulars who come on the forum I am sure will have all bought their tickets. Perhaps it is other local teams fans who are likely to cause any trouble and not Millwall?

Maybe there is just too much apathy in the town these days and people just cant be bothered about little old Alty? It is advertising that I think needs to be increased.

Please Peake me I only need 12 to reach 200 - thanks  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:38:49 PM by Jenga »

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »

Thinking about it i cannot believe the lack of advertising for this game, we havent  had a big cup game for 6 years and when we get one we are in danger of letting it go to waste.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »

In terms of the media, all that build up will be this week.  That is out of the clubs hands when they do it.

I am sure this weeks Messenger will be full of it...I'd expect a picture of an Alty player pushing a lawn mower in his other job as a gardner in Thurdsays MEN..Granada reports on Thursday and Friday.

None of that could have been done last week.

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:52:11 PM »

Jenga... A game like this should generate enough interest for fans to contact the club to ask about tickets. The club should not have to go looking for fans. The Millwall reputation will scare a few people off but this nonsense about fans from other clubs coming looking for a fight is laughable. Millwall supporters hear this at almost every away game and it never happens. Millwall and Manchester United fans got on very well at the cup final in 2004. Large groups of rival fans were drinking together after the game and there was no trouble, of course this was not reported in the press because newspapers are only interested in scandal. As for City fans, I don't think they will be in a hurry to meet Millwall again after the Stockport incident a few years ago.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »

Isnt that all a bit late leaving people a day to get tickets? There should be a gradual build up that could have started on Monday!

markecky

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:31 PM »

Alty don't control when such reports appear on TV?

baldrick

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

The lack of a home game between the draw and the match will also affect sales.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »

Yeah fair do's with the tv stuff but newspaper stuff has been non existent; there are so many angles for stories that could build up the game.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »

The lack of a home game between the draw and the match will also affect sales.

True

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »

Jenga... A game like this should generate enough interest for fans to contact the club to ask about tickets.

I agree - IF people actually know about it. The questions is do they know about it? Do they know it is all ticket? And if I sat back in job waiting for people to come to me I would not be in my job very long. As a commercial concern you have to do everything to promote sales in any walk of life, unless you are in a monopoly situation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:02:29 PM by Jenga »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »

I originally posted around 3k for the game.

I do think that the name Millwall is putting people off.

I agree the way we are playing does not help.

We need to get more media coverage as by the end of Friday night it will be to late.

Can we not get something on GMR, Century etc.

I have 2 new people coming with me on Saturday, the more the merrier.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »

Jenga... A game like this should generate enough interest for fans to contact the club to ask about tickets.

I agree - IF people actually know about it. The questions is do they know about it? Do they know it is all ticket? And if I sat back in job waiting for people to come to me I would not be in my job very long. As a commercial concern you have to do everything to promote sales in any walk of life, unless you are in a monopoly situation.

Spot on. No club has the right to sit back and expect the locals to have some duty to support the team.  It hasn't worked like that in my lifetime and it isn't going to any time soon.  We have to go out there and bring fans in. 

I would say that the biggest factors affecting the gate will be out of our control.  No home game between the draw and the match; a lack of media coverage until its too late; alas some people will be put off because its Millwall.

I would dispute our current form having much of an affect because we got a very good crowd for the Aldershot match on the last day when it was relegation at stake. 

Could the club have publicised it better?  Not really given the resources (ie volunteers!) at our disposal. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team