Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Absolutely 100% what I was looking for...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Absolutely 100% what I was looking for...  (Read 5410 times)

markecky

« on: May 18, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »

GRAHAM UPBEAT

John Edwards, Alty's joint press Officer, writes:

"Graham Heathcote has moved to reassure worried Altrincham fans by securing the services of crowd favourite Nicky Clee for another year and claiming his squad could be stronger than ever by the start of next season. The Alty manager would not be drawn on rumours of interest from York City in defender Greg Young but admitted losing top scorer Chris Senior to Darlington was a setback.

He refused to be downcast, though, as he appealed for patience from supporters and explained why he believes Alty are well placed to bring in reinforcements who could make them even more of a force to be reckoned with next season. Work has already begun on filling the gaps up front, following the departures of Senior and Colin Little, though it may be another month or two before the diligence of Heathcote and his assistant Ken McKenna brings its rewards.

'There won't be signings straightaway, so it is important we are all patient,' said Heathcote. 'People forget our players are only paid for the duration of the season, so you can't very well expect someone to sign now and sit around getting nothing for the next couple of months. But I am confident there will be new recruits, and very hopeful they will be of a good enough quality to make us even stronger next season. I have been looking at availability and talking to players who have been freed, and I am very encouraged by the calibre of those up for grabs.

'I can understand supporters being concerned by Chris Senior leaving, and some of the rumours flying around, but it is just a case of playing a waiting game and enhancing what we've already got with two or three additions from what is going to be a long and interesting list of players looking for clubs. Losing Chrissie was a blow, and something we didn't expect. I addressed the players before the Cambridge game and asked to be informed if anyone was thinking of leaving. No one said a word. I then spoke to them individually, and there was a verbal agreement from Chrissie that he was staying.

'I've no qualms about his decision, though. Darlington came along and put a full-time contract in front of him, and the least anyone would do in that situation is consider it. He is getting married in June and has a mortgage to pay like the rest of us, so it was hardly rocket science, working out which way that one would go. Greg Young is at the end of a two-year contract and at liberty to talk to anyone he wishes to, as applies to most of them. All I will say is I won't sit around and wait for any player to use this club as some sort of back-up. If I need to bring in replacements, I will crack on with that - and there are plenty out there, don't worry.

'Believe me, there is a lot to be optimistic about. I have just been over to see Nicky Clee and signed him up for another year, and Robbie Williams and James Smith are both under contract for another year. That's on top of a positive feedback from a lot of the other lads. I have already started talking to players who are on free transfers. They are not going to commit themselves now, admittedly. They are going to consider their options over the next few weeks, but the outlook is bright.

'For a start, we are not looking for a whole new team. We already have a settled squad, lads who have played together a year or two, some longer. That will be a massive plus for us, because we know the division and what it is all about, as opposed to some who think they do but may be heading for a shock. The league is going to be even harder next season, but I firmly believe we are an attractive package for a lot of players. We are a smashing, well-run club in the top level of non-League football, and when players start looking at their situation and ours, I think they might realise Moss Lane is the ideal venue for them.

'I have spoken to some quality strikers who are being released by Football League clubs, and, though they want to weigh up all their options, they have shown interest in us. That is why I am confident about the outcome of this summer's endeavours. We may have to be patient and play a waiting game, but there have even been some ex-League players saying they are interested in going part-time next season.

'There may well be some players who don't get fixed up at all, because clubs are cutting their cloth according to their circumstances. That tells you there should be plenty to choose from, and you can rest assured Ken and I will have our fingers on the pulse throughout the close-season and do our utmost to bring the best we can to Moss Lane.'

Heathcote vowed to develop Clee's flourishing wing play even more next season and revealed how he brought Darlington into line over their approach for Senior. 'I just had to put them straight on how things should be done,' he said. 'They seemed to forget he was our player, and, as such, there was a certain protocol to follow. Prior to June 1st, he couldn't be considered a completely free agent, and that is something we made them aware of. I wasn't looking for an apology, or anything like that. I just felt it was important to make them realise we are no Mickey Mouse outfit. Having made the point, hopefully it won't happen again.

'Last season was Nicky's first at this level, and he did very well. There is no reason now why he can't really push on and show a better level of consistency next season. That must be the aim'".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:26:46 PM by markecky »

Longman

Re: Absolutely 100% what I was looking for...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »

Great press release.

I really do hope we hang on to Youngy though!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »

Excellent article - that raises a wee bit of confidence

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:03 AM »

Brilliant article......I now fully expect the play offs at least mid table security is not an option for us...we must progress year on year haha.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »

Fantastic, really positive article. Absolutely spot on!
Come on Alty!

joe

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »

This is the sort of press release we should be making! Alot more positive and upbeat.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »

Intrigued by the FL strikers showing interest.

Good article, and good to hear Smith and Williams are here for the season as well as Clee. We still have the nucleus of a good squad.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Realistic too
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »

Whilst it is positive and upbeat it is realistic too. Shows that we are still at a slight disadvantage but doesn't dampen us down. Doesn't raise pressure or expectations too much. Some long standing fans i spoke to were worried that we were making ourselves unattractive with our statements.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »

Well, reading that certainly cheered me up.. Thanks for that GH..

Cmon Alty....

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »

Some positive news at last.

Good to see the management are on the ball regarding players, and surprised players have already been speaking to Alty. I think one or two signings could be a shock  :)

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »

Yes, just what everyone needed to hear, by letting everyone know we are talking with quality players who have showed interest, puts a positive spin on things.

Nicely done.

fuertes

Re: Realistic too
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

Whilst it is positive and upbeat it is realistic too. Shows that we are still at a slight disadvantage but doesn't dampen us down. Doesn't raise pressure or expectations too much. Some long standing fans i spoke to were worried that we were making ourselves unattractive with our statements.

I think it's fair to say that as long as we avoid relegation, the season hasn't been a disaster. Most fans acknowledge we have a difficult task in this division due to being part-time and sticking to a sensible 1,100 crowd budget.

Floating fans will only take interest if we're right at the top of the league and/or doing something interesting in the Cup. I wouldn't have thought many would say "I was thinking of going down to Alty, but they've lost that Senior now so I probably won't bother".

The hardcore will stay loyal as always.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »

Intrigued by the FL strikers showing interest.

I believe Torres is unhappy at Liverpool!

taxi Phil

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

Sir Alex Ferguson says he may not sign anyone this close season - so the market place is wide open !

All joking apart, the realisation is hitting a lot of clubs that they can't offer stupid deals any more or they'll end up like Vics - or worse still Kings Lynn or Farceley. So we're likely to be more competitive. A lot of full time players may be forced to consider part-time, at least temporarily. We're ideal as a shop window for the type of player who wants to prove he still has the potential to go up the ladder. Let's hope we can pull a couple in.

markecky

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:39 AM »

Clubs everywhere will be making cuts and running with the smallest number of players they can....we are in a good position for them to go and work on Uncle Sids car lot and still play for us and get money than they had before.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team