PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favorite Minor Alty Player
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Favorite Minor Alty Player  (Read 12526 times)

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Minor Alty Player
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »

I always remember Olsen scoring in an ulikely 2-0 away at Aldershot not long after we went up to the Conference.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

Favourite minor player? Ian Morris of course.

taxi Phil

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

Hardly minor Ian....."Hamshank" was a great favourite of mine too !

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »

Is that the same Ian Morris who played for Great Harwood ?

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Not according to Terry Rowley's Alty Legends page.

Ian Morris started his senior career as an amateur with Bolton Wanderers before signing professional terms with Stockport County in March 1968 and played 1+1 games. He left at the end of the season and joined Altrincham. Ian, an accountant by training, then spent the next decade playing for Altrincham and archrivals Macclesfield, playing a couple of spells for each club. Never a prolific scorer, he was however a very quick winger who delivered telling, accurate crosses for the strikers to feed off. Ian was once timed over 80 yards at 9.6 seconds and still looked very sharp at Graham Heathcote's testimonial match last season!

He joined Altrincham towards the end of the 68/69 season making his debut in the 6-1 win over Goole and scoring twice in the 8-1 win over Northwich. He stayed at Moss Lane till the end of the following season before joining Macclesfield. In that first spell he won a Northwest Floodlit League winner's medal, followed by a NPL cup winner's medal and a Cheshire Senior Cup loser's medal the next season.

He stayed at Macclesfleld for 4 seasons before returning to Altrincham for the 1974/75 season. and the start of the following season before the lure of the Moss Rose took him back to South Cheshire. This time Ian didn’t stay away long and was back for the start of the following season to join Tony Sanders's side. He was part of the side that made the FA Trophy semi-finals and a year later was part of the side that lifted the Trophy at Wembley after beating Leatherhead 3-1.

This was the peak of his Altrincham career. The following season the arrival of Barry Howard meant that Ian was allowed to leave and joined Witton Albion.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

Jamie Baguley.....

Matty Hughes wasn't it, started in 2002/03 and scored a few goals. What happened to him?

On the flip side of the question, who is the best player who was signed as a minor/bit part, but turned to be an integral part of the side? For me the first person to who springs to mind is Val Owen.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

Jerome John looked a quality goalkeeper to me but unfortunately he was a foot shorter than a keeper should realistically be...

And an honourable mention for another goalkeeper, Peter Stanier - don't think he actually ever played for the first team but he certainly kept the bench warm enough times. Looked crap in pre-match warm ups!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:10:21 PM by PaulClementsLaments »

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »

Jerome John looked a quality goalkeeper to me but unfortunately he was a foot shorter than a keeper should realistically be...

And an honourable mention for another goalkeeper, Peter Stanier - don't think he actually ever played for the first team but he certainly kept the bench warm enough times. Looked crap in pre-match warm ups!

Or to give him his correct name, Baywatch.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

markecky

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »

Jamie Baguley.....

Matty Hughes wasn't it, started in 2002/03 and scored a few goals. What happened to him?

On the flip side of the question, who is the best player who was signed as a minor/bit part, but turned to be an integral part of the side? For me the first person to who springs to mind is Val Owen.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »

Played one game in a mid-season friendly at Trafford, a game in which Roger Palmer had a trial for Alty. We lost 1-0 if I remember correctly.
Come on Alty!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »

In the late 70's everybody seemed to love Graham Tobin. 

He said minor player, Tobin was a legend

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

The only thing I remember about Jerome John was being smashed 7-0 at Morecambe and everything that went towards the goal went in!

joe

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »

Dave Cockram for me.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

Dave Cockram for me.

Dave Martindale for Flynny!

ForeverAlty

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:08 AM »

I always thought Carlos Logan had potential, he just needed to pass more! Good with his feet though
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favorite Minor Alty Player