PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Furthest away match
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Furthest away match  (Read 11689 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Furthest away match
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

We also had 100+ at dagenham in midweek when we needed one more win to stay up (although the 18 point deduction kicked in after that) they were caught totally by suprise, didnt segregate, and it led to handbags. Jimmy hill shouted at one bloke, "you just look like a really sh*t accountant" during a heated exchange. They segregated us in the second half

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »

Apologies for straying slightly off topic, but this thread has me thinking of the longest away trip the club have made. I'm sure Dover is the furthest league fixture and as we never entered the Anglo-Italian cup, I'm unsure if we have played abroad but somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain I have a feeling that the club may have gone on a trip to Spain in the Sanders years and took in a friendly against a local side. Can anyone recall or have I been eating too much cheese before bedtime?

Also, and this is definitely true, why did we play a friendly game away at Epsom and Ewell in Surrey years ago? Bizarre.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »

We've some bizaare friendlies, including St Francis FC of Dublin, which I think is the only time we've played outside of great britian, other odd friendlies include, Alton Royale away, RAF Valley away and home games against Malawi (narrow 2-3 defeat) and we played a Japanese outfit at home, Honda or Mitsubishi or something in about 1992.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

Weymouth when i lived in alty
Harold

JDN

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »

i think it was jamie and ecky,
went to dover and the match was off
snow ,
I have been to both Dover and Torquay only for the games to be called off

JDN

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

We've some bizaare friendlies, including St Francis FC of Dublin, which I think is the only time we've played outside of great britian, other odd friendlies include, Alton Royale away, RAF Valley away and home games against Malawi (narrow 2-3 defeat) and we played a Japanese outfit at home, Honda or Mitsubishi or something in about 1992.
it was Mazda

Also remember playing Swedish team Djurgarden

Beaver

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

I remember we played Greenock Morton in a friendly and about 500 scots turned up on their summer hols. Great bunch too

Beaver

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »

I can confirm Beaver didn't make Spalding, he was incarcerated at the time

Cheers, I was indeed detained for Spalding. I meant Spennymoor. My first and last encounter with a boiled beef burger. I would have been surprised if it had been contaminated with something as sophisticated as horse.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »

it was Mazda

We got pissed on that Sunday afternoon in Torquay when the game got called off, that was my first of numerous stats at the grovsnor hotel in Torquay, still my favourite hotel in the uk and now made world famous by the documentary the hotel, its rammed full now though with it being famous

markecky

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

it was Mazda

We got pissed on that Sunday afternoon in Torquay when the game got called off, that was my first of numerous stats at the grovsnor hotel in Torquay, still my favourite hotel in the uk and now made world famous by the documentary the hotel, its rammed full now though with it being famous

Its been bought out now and they employ that manager bloke for novelty value which must be gutting for him.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »

I doubt it mate, he will have made a right wedge, Richardson hotels own it now. We were well shocked when it was first on TV, because we loved the place anyway! It's a proper throw back, all big cornice and chandeliers in the rooms, some rooms have roof gardens also, n brilliant place to stay, TV paints it in a bit of a poor light for viewing purposes

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »

Apologies for straying slightly off topic, but this thread has me thinking of the longest away trip the club have made. I'm sure Dover is the furthest league fixture and as we never entered the Anglo-Italian cup, I'm unsure if we have played abroad but somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain I have a feeling that the club may have gone on a trip to Spain in the Sanders years and took in a friendly against a local side. Can anyone recall or have I been eating too much cheese before bedtime?

Also, and this is definitely true, why did we play a friendly game away at Epsom and Ewell in Surrey years ago? Bizarre.

We played Benedorm in a friendly and I think we won 5-0 during a club end of season holiday when we the APL champions. This has been covered onthis forum before.
We played Epsom and Ewell in the FA Trophy in about 1982/3. Thats a name that nearly went out of existance and have been homeless for some years now. I watched them last season when they ground shared with Merstham and they now groundshare with another club within walking distance of my house, Chipstead. They did however have a reasonable FA Cup run this season. They are in sep 5 now of non league football in the Cherry counties league.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

I think its outstanding that we played benidorm

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

Sad to report that they went under last year I wonder they'll form an ACF benidorm of Valencia....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benidorm_CF

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »

one of those Weymouth (early 80s) trips was midweek wasnt it? Went on the coach and got dropped off by the Pelican on the way home at 3am or some other bizarre time. We did victory forward rolls in the middle of the road.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Furthest away match