News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FA Trophy Semi Finals..

Author Topic: FA Trophy Semi Finals..  (Read 2928 times)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
FA Trophy Semi Finals..
« on: March 14, 2023, 04:15:44 PM »

Our appearance in this year's semi got me thinking.  I vaguely remember as a young Alty fan the marathon semi of 76-77.  My first taste of footy "aggro" at the home leg against Scarborough.  What I was really trying to recall though was I'm sure Mickey Moore missed a penalty in one of the replays that would have got us to Wembley instead of Scarborough?  Did he miss a pen in one of those games?  I'm sure he did but I'm sure someone on here can enlighten me!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FA Trophy Semi Finals..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 04:18:37 PM »

i know the first leg at scarborough ended in a 2-0 deafeat and the second leg at moss lane was a 2-0 win for us, scraborough went through 2-1 after the replay at doncatser rovers.
Harold

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 04:22:59 PM »

I seem to remember one of our younger fans being headbutted by a Scarborough fine while switching ends during half time, around the halfway line on the popular side. He was only around 13-15 years old.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 04:34:25 PM »

Micky Moore missed a penalty in that first replay back in 1977, which was played at the home of Rotherham United.

Excerpt from my When We Were Kings: Alty in the APL 1979/80 series of articles for the Robins Review:

"Precisely five months on from that debacle, Millmoor was the neutral ground selected to stage the FA Trophy Semi-Final First Replay between Alty and Scarborough on Wednesday, 20th April 1977 and once again it proved to be the scene of considerable torment and heartache for all those Robins fans present amongst the gate of 2,597.

The illustrious reward for the victors was a place in the FA Trophy Final against Dagenham at Wembley Stadium and a golden opportunity to clinch this prize was proffered to the Robins in the 74th minute, when the referee, Trelford Mills of Barnsley, awarded them a penalty for a push on their left winger John Vernon.

The responsibility for converting the penalty fell on the shoulders of Micky Moore, who had in fact scored via a twice-taken penalty during Alty’s 2-0 triumph in the preceding Saturday’s Semi-Final Second Leg at Moss Lane. Moore’s spot kick successfully sent the Scarborough goalkeeper, Dave Chapman, the wrong way, however, the ball agonisingly clipped the foot of a post and was deflected wide and out of play. The Robins’ despair was compounded still further in the dying seconds of the thirty minutes of extra-time, when Mickey Brooke’s fierce 30-yard drive struck the crossbar.

Merely five days later and after 420 minutes of a truly epic struggle, Alty’s dreams of reaching Wembley were ultimately extinguished in the Second Replay at Doncaster Rovers’ Belle Vue stadium in front of a crowd of 3,761. First half goals from Billy Ayre and John Woodall put Scarborough in control and Jeff Johnson’s 83rd minute headed goal proved to be nothing more than a token consolation for the Robins."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:37:20 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 04:23:57 PM »

I seem to remember one of our younger fans being headbutted by a Scarborough fine while switching ends during half time, around the halfway line on the popular side. He was only around 13-15 years old.
If this is the same incident, I recall a number of our more elderly gentleman supporters retaliating with their walking sticks; they made sure that the thug was sent back to Scarborough with a few lumps knocked out of him!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 04:43:14 PM »

Yep that's the one, exactly right. It was nice to see the elders standing up for the younger fans.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FA Trophy Semi Finals..