- 26 (59.1%)
where is chris senior ?
- 7 (15.9%)
stop teasing me
- 9 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 31, 2013, 08:14:56 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: winter breaks  (Read 15723 times)

York Alty

Re: winter breaks
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »

what about playing in summer
its too much of a good thing, i mean no postponements, higher crowds, clubs surviving on attendances etc that would'nt be fun.....

in winter there's less of a choice on Tuesday evenings. Come the summer you could spark up the BBQ, take a lovely evening walk, bit of time on the river / canal, all sorts of stuff.  I doubt there would be any significant increase in gates just cos it's (hopefully) warmer.
could you imagine how many bored man utd/man city fans we could gather...  :o

Not many.  Do they pop down to our early season games when they play Sunday?   No in big numbers - a dozen perhaps?

Robins Retweet

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »

its too much of a good thing, i mean no postponements, higher crowds, clubs surviving on attendances etc that would'nt be fun.....

in winter there's less of a choice on Tuesday evenings. Come the summer you could spark up the BBQ, take a lovely evening walk, bit of time on the river / canal, all sorts of stuff.  I doubt there would be any significant increase in gates just cos it's (hopefully) warmer.

Not many.  Do they pop down to our early season games when they play Sunday?   No in big numbers - a dozen perhaps?

not many are interested in freindlys, even the masters indoor tounaments attract more imagine what competitive football could do?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »

Are you proposing a winter break throughout the leagues or just non-league?

Robins Retweet

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »

Just to get it straight im saying that the current placement of fixtures is damaging to clubs and i would welcome any change to the current system, people love to moan about our postponements and fixture pile up but start becoming traditionalists when you mention change, there is change coming for sure, are you living in the past or the future thats the qeustion.

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »

It has to be the entire game.  Non league cannot move alone without screwing up the FA Cup schedule.  World Cups and Euros are held in the summer so the prem can't move unless FIFA move first.   Moving one, albeit small, part of footy to a summer schedule is fraught with logical difficulties.  The game moves to the summer as a whole - Prem, World Cup, BSN et al, or not at all.  And not at all is the correct decision.  Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing you can do.

Robins Retweet

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »

It has to be the entire game.  Non league cannot move alone without screwing up the FA Cup schedule.  World Cups and Euros are held in the summer so the prem can't move unless FIFA move first.   Moving one, albeit small, part of footy to a summer schedule is fraught with logical difficulties.  The game moves to the summer as a whole - Prem, World Cup, BSN et al, or not at all.  And not at all is the correct decision.  Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing you can do.

still absolutely no harm in moving the season forward two weeks and playing 3/4 more games in decent weather. does'nt the prem championnship and nonleague start on differant dates anyway???

York Alty

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »

yes there different start dates - but that's as much to do with league sizes as anything else.

Prem - 20 clubs
Champ - BSP - 24 clubs
BSN / BSS - 22 clubs

Better allocation of fixtures makes sense.  Longer trips early / late on in the season and more local games in the Nov-Feb period so decisions on potential postponement can be made that bit later. There simply is no need for a winter break - there really isn't.

Robins Retweet

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »

yes there different start dates - but that's as much to do with league sizes as anything else.

Prem - 20 clubs
Champ - BSP - 24 clubs
BSN / BSS - 22 clubs

Better allocation of fixtures makes sense.  Longer trips early / late on in the season and more local games in the Nov-Feb period so decisions on potential postponement can be made that bit later. There simply is no need for a winter break - there really isn't.

this is in essence what i am also suggesting, its a starting point.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »

Just to get it straight im saying that the current placement of fixtures is damaging to clubs and i would welcome any change to the current system, people love to moan about our postponements and fixture pile up but start becoming traditionalists when you mention change, there is change coming for sure, are you living in the past or the future thats the qeustion.

The game is always changing. Floodlit matches, foreign players, sunday matches, live tv, plastic pitches, all seater grounds, play offs, premier league, champions league, Europa league, backpass rule, level at offside, sponsorship on shirts, conference, conference north, scrap re election. And most of that is the last 40 years.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever in any way shape or form with change. But if you are going to.change you need to know how it would work. Yet that is detail is missing so I will stick with what we have.

Robins Retweet

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

The game is always changing. Floodlit matches, foreign players, sunday matches, live tv, plastic pitches, all seater grounds, play offs, premier league, champions league, Europa league, backpass rule, level at offside, sponsorship on shirts, conference, conference north, scrap re election. And most of that is the last 40 years.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever in any way shape or form with change. But if you are going to.change you need to know how it would work. Yet that is detail is missing so I will stick with what we have.
of course the details missing, even when they started the world cup it was sh*te!!!  ;D

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

The World cup is still Sh*te as they are always tinkering & introducing things at World cups, last time it was a different ball.

Why the hell they try these new things at World cup's baffles me as nobody has had any time to try these things out & then they are thrown in the
supposedly best tournament at the last minute.

I still say keep early qualifying rounds of the FA Cup to midweek & more regionalised like NW / NE /SE / SW etc & leave the
Saturday's for League matches.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »

Prem - 20 clubs
Champ - BSP - 24 clubs
BSN / BSS - 22 clubs

Spot on,                          now lets find something else to moan about  ;)

taxi Phil

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »

Anyone asked Chris Senior for his opinion ?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »

When the Alliance Premier League was set up, they consciously arranged the fixtures so that the long away trips were at the beginning (Weymouth) and end (Gravesend) of the season with early season midweek matches being local (home and away Telford).

The only thing that screwed it up was teams like Northwich entered the FA Cup at the 1st qualifying round ( but now that has been fixed) and we would have to give up Saturdays to the Cheshire Senior Cup (also fixed).  So a bit of clever fixture scheduling and midweek matches through August, September and early October should sort it unless you hire the Harrogate landscape gardeners!

Robins Retweet

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

Harrogates situation is a prime example that some non league pitches just cannot sustain winter weather and fixture pile ups.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 winter breaks