News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Referee

Author Topic: Referee  (Read 2906 times)

shelmers

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Referee
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »

currently on my way back from that dump histon! All I can say is that yet again a referee has cost us!

tottenham alty

Re: Referee
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »

We were the better team, it just didn't go for us. The goal should have been disallowed for handball.

Anybody know the rough average age of Alty's team/squad, noticed a lot of 20-23 year-olds in the Histon squad and even though they couldn't really play football it just made me think a lot of our boys are pushing on a bit now? Would'nt mind seeing a bit of youth injected somewhere in the side.

There centre back number 37 - Patrick Ada I believe - was immense.

Anyway respect to everyone who came out and supported tonight, I thought we were ok.

Heres to a win on Saturday!

joe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:37:44 AM »

currently on my way back from that dump histon! All I can say is that yet again a referee has cost us!

We can't keep blaming the ref for our failure to find the net

Jacobs

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:29 AM »

To be fair he has not give the hand ball so we have to play top the whistle,

Fair enough it had 0-0 written all over it but we did not create a clean cut chance all night.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:34 AM »

I know I'll get battered for this but the whole Referee cost us the game thing makes us look silly.

When did a Referee score a goal against us?

When did one miss a vital tackle in midfield?

When did one fail to put the ball in the back of the net for us?

despite what people may say or think Referees are indeed human, have one pair of eyes which sadly face in the same direction (I know a woeful design flaw) and have only one (sometimes partially obscured) view of an incident.

I wasn't at Histon so I can't comment on the goal or the performances of the three teams on view but generally failure by one side to win a game can be attributed more honestly to THEIR performance than to that of the Referee

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »

When did one fail to put the ball in the back of the net for us?

Every single game I've seen, though I agree with your sentiment.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »

I don't normally like blaming the officials and it's clearly preferable for a team to take responsibility for their own results rather than pinning things on outside forces. But just as blaming referees can be an unthinking response, so can refusing to blame the referee whatever the circumstances.

So let's be clear about last night: the referee and the linesman both missed an absolutely blatant handball, which led to the only goal of the night. Had they done their job, I feel the final score would have been 0-0, which would have been the right outcome for a horrible match but a good result for us. So last night, we were unlucky.

Not much more to be said about last night's game, except that I thought we coped with Histon's brutalist and deeply unlovely football pretty well all night, and credit to Graham and the team for that. We didn't look like scoring, certainly, but then I think Histon were just too good at the back.
Histon are entitled to play whatever way they like, and they looked a big, strong, very fit and well-drilled team, with an outstanding defender in Patrick Ada. But if that's the way they play, it's no wonder no-one turns up and those that do seem not to give a toss. I'm hoping they'll play their efficient way back into oblivion at some point soon.

Onwards to the Salisbury match and let's get that first home win of the season.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:44:53 AM by Leon »

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »

I wasn't at the game but always up for blaming refs for something so 'He should have seen it' ... !

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »

What Leon said.

I mean, exactly what Leon said. Last night should have been 0-0. I don't normally harp on about refs but that was unbelievable. That mistake has cost us.

Whether we are creating enough chances, utilising our resources etc are other arguments entirely. THey are for another day I feel though. You can barely play any football against Histon, the ball isn't in play long enough, you need to be good at jumpnig for headers though. I've never been as bored at a football match as that. We were actually laughing during it about how anti-football Histon had turned it into. Utterly horrible.

To some extent GH's selection and tactics were sound last night, and produced a steady if unspectactular performance which met HIston's threat.

I'm looking forward to getting back to normal football on Saturday and taking on Second Season Syndrome Top of the Table One Hundred per cent Away Record Salisbury City. :P

AltySi

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »

I agree with Joe, we can't spend game after game, week after week, month after month, year after year blaming match officials and bad luck for our underachievement.
Whilst I understand that we can often point to our lesser financial clout than some other teams, I don't feel that is as much of the case anymore as we seem to have, on paper at least, a set of players good enough for this league.
We are simply not good enough at the moment, and we need to improve, and fast!!!!

Bazbatteria

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »

Indeed things need to improve and fast but you can't blame a few of our fans ranting and raving by the tunnel at the end of the match to the ref, freedom of expression I say.It was an appalling decision not to give the hand-ball which resulted in their goal, I comfortably thought we should of gone home with at least A point last night, and it was a long old journey home, I'm still knackered! 

ANDYT

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »

i hate officials because i think they have no common sence but we need to play to the wistle and we can't put all the blame on them

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »

If each of our players made as many mistakes as a Referee in a season we'd win the league.

What I was saying was that referees make mistakes as they're human - like players are.

Blaming everything on the Officials is not the answer
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Referee