PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nine players leaving...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Nine players leaving...  (Read 25735 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Nine players leaving...
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »

5 May 2016

NINE PLAYERS LEAVING

John Edwards, joint Press & Media Officer at Altrincham FC, writes that new manager "Neil Young has begun the decision-making process needed to shape a new-look Altrincham squad by announcing that nine players from last season have left the club.

After deliberating over targets he wants to bring in and a need to balance the books, Alty's recently-appointed manager has confirmed the departures of Ryan Crowther, Tom Marshall, Adam Griffin, Luca Havern, Tim Deasy, Josh O'Keefe, Jordan Sinnott, George Bowerman and Nicky Clee.

'I've spoken to each one of them individually, with the exception of George Bowerman, who has been left two messages,' he said. 'I think they appreciated that, but I wouldn't have it any other way. These lads have done fantastically well for the club over the last few years and deserved to hear the reasons for my decision in person.

'Whenever a new manager comes in, he always has a tough call to make about keeping some people and not others. We need to add players to what was a fairly small squad last season, but to do that on what will obviously be a reduced budget, we have to free up some money.

'That has now been done, but I can tell you it entailed some very difficult decisions. When I spoke to the lads who are leaving, I thanked them for the job they've done, and I want to place on record the club's appreciation for all they did in their time with us.'

Meetings are planned with the four other remaining players - Damian Reeves, Scott Leather, Michael Rankine and James Lawrie - to see if agreement can be reached about staying at The J.Davidson Stadium, while Young confirmed he is closing in on a list of potential new signings.

'We have sounded out one or two, and the first signing could be imminent, if all goes well' he said. 'We have to be absolutely sure they are players who can take us forward, but plans are in place.'"
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nine players leaving...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »

A brave and positive move from a manager who clearly means business. Lets see what happens in the next few weeks. If we end up with the late picking up the scraps scene again I'll worry but so far it looks like Neil means business. I bet most other players and managers are looking at the beach right now.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Shimpa

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »

Would have wanted to keep Luca and Tim and it's sad to see Nicky go but I could see it coming. Not too bothered about the rest though. Glad Lawrie, Reeves and Scotty are in talks but not sure about keeping hold of Ranks tbh.

brian1925

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »

I'm devastated about Nicky leaving tbh. The manager absolutely means business though, so in him we must trust. We were probably relegated by having too many injuries to key players last season - they've all gone (apart from Dens).

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »

Lawrie is the one I'm not convinced about staying but I suppose he could be a good option coming off the bench,I just hope Neil doesn't see him as a regular starter!

Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »

There are several on the released list that I would much rather keep than Rankine

brian1925

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »

I can see why he has been retained - just didn't anticipate it

VofD

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »

Lawrie is the one I'm not convinced about staying but I suppose he could be a good option coming off the bench,I just hope Neil doesn't see him as a regular starter!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again : IMO Lawrie is an absolutely awful player, and if NY does sign him, then the manager will have gone down in my estimation before the season even starts. >:( >:(

Hulme Robin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »

No complaints about any of that. We can't afford injury prone players. Good news about Lawrie.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:40 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again : IMO Lawrie is an absolutely awful player, and if NY does sign him, then the manager will have gone down in my estimation before the season even starts. >:( >:(
Lawrie must have skills we know nothing about. They certainly aren't on display on the football field.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »

These days players are a lot about levels. Lawrie is a very good CN player.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

brian1925

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »

I'm not a fan of James Lawrie, but he is relatively young, regularly fit and has done it in the northern league before. Also, never been any issues with commitment.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »

My understanding is that they are not retained - they are just not yet released.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »

The bit about George Bowerman just totally sums up what a total sh*thouse that bloke is. Probably too busy tanning his thighs ready for the new season to answer his phone. The T**t.
Come on Alty!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »

I always think Lawrie was rarely played in his best position. I'm assuming that NY knows him well and intends to play him only in his best position rather than left winger one week  then somewhere else the next,, I personally think he has the ability to be a decent player. Just played out of position far far too often by the last management team
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nine players leaving...