PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Season Ticket
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Season Ticket  (Read 4948 times)

Jenga

Re: Season Ticket
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »

And before you reply my first job paid me £2500 a year working in manchester, after paying my parents some income, after travel fairs and after buying lunches I actually made a loss. It was my choice and i knew in the end it would be worth it. But you didnt see me going to the government asking for a grant and asking for discounts at every shop I went in.

When I was a student I learn't how to spell "fares".  ::) ::)

I now earn 50K after working very hard at a then poly, and I believe it was worth it, as a student in Newcastle my full 1980's grant went a long way*, these days the kids get nothing. It will cost me around 30K to put my kids through assuming they both get there.

If we as a country are to prosper we need a decent education for the kids. They learn nothing but the basics at school these days, its dumbed down beyond belief.

* I also saw Waddle, Keegan, Gascoigne, McDermott etc play for a seriously good Div 2 side each fortnight for a marvellous student discount!

You may have learnt how to spell "Fares", but did you learn to use punctuation?

If we as a country are to prosper we need a decent education for the kids. They  - try a couple of commas maybe.

I love all this can you spell etc, picking out spelling mistakes on a forum is a great past-time.

Back at ya baby  ;D ;D ;D

Next !!!    lol

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:17:58 AM »

???
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »

And before you reply my first job paid me £2500 a year working in manchester, after paying my parents some income, after travel fairs and after buying lunches I actually made a loss. It was my choice and i knew in the end it would be worth it. But you didnt see me going to the government asking for a grant and asking for discounts at every shop I went in.

When I was a student I learn't how to spell "fares".  ::) ::)

I now earn 50K after working very hard at a then poly, and I believe it was worth it, as a student in Newcastle my full 1980's grant went a long way*, these days the kids get nothing. It will cost me around 30K to put my kids through assuming they both get there.

If we as a country are to prosper we need a decent education for the kids. They learn nothing but the basics at school these days, its dumbed down beyond belief.

* I also saw Waddle, Keegan, Gascoigne, McDermott etc play for a seriously good Div 2 side each fortnight for a marvellous student discount!

Standing up for schools  it is a common misconception that subjects are dumbed down, the fact is the world has changed and having to recall facts by rote is no longer needed as we all have access to most of the information we need.  I dont deny that GCSE pass marks have improved and that it is easier to achieve some of the top grades(league tables are responsible for this), the point is that there is an increasing proportion of students who have been educated to analyse and evaluate information, skills which are needed in the modern world much more than recalling a name of a valve in the heart.  I agree of course at the need for top quality education perhaps if the government had not introduced 12 education bills in 9 years then schools might be able to get on and teach rather than jump through hoops.

Ashamed to say that I rarely travelled back from uni for alty games, missed some of the best bits.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »

I agree to a certain extent Ellis, but I see my daughter's course work for GCSE level, she's 15, and I notice how basic the maths and modern languages curriculla  are now compared with O level.

Mind you what all this has to do with season tickets is anyone's guess ;D
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jenga

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »

Season ticket discounts.

But it is good fun argueinng / discussing anyway.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »

Sadly whilst funding for Further and Higher Education (and Primary and Secondary are being caught up in this too) is dependent upon Student Numbers, Student Retention and Student Results in that order the pressure on an educational establishment to "attract" Students will become over riding.

I used to work at an FE College and the first thing the Governors did when the funding basis changed and the League Tables were introduced was to stop the Academic Staff entering Students for Exams set by JMB as they were too hard. Instead all students where it was possible were entered for SEB which were so much easier

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »

Ashamed to say that I rarely travelled back from uni for alty games, missed some of the best bits.

Si, you were in upper sixth form in my first year at AGS, that was the immortal 1990-91 season. Presumably you spent the next 3 seasons 1991-92 under Stan Allan, 1992-93 under Gerry Quinn and 1993-94 mish mash of Quinn, Paul Rowlands, late revival under Kingy.

News for you mate, bar the freeman goal there weren't any best bits. WHat you saw was what you got!!

Altyant

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »

I have a job, and students have to pay back a loan, no grants these days. There was a small furore about it...keep up to date mate  ;)

Its pathetic really. Im paying mine back at around £2 a month, as Im only just earning over the repayment threashold. Im gonna be paying it back for years lol!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »

Si, you were in upper sixth form in my first year at AGS, that was the immortal 1990-91 season. Presumably you spent the next 3 seasons 1991-92 under Stan Allan, 1992-93 under Gerry Quinn and 1993-94 mish mash of Quinn, Paul Rowlands, late revival under Kingy.

News for you mate, bar the freeman goal there weren't any best bits. WHat you saw was what you got!!

Ballers,

I have to disagree vehemently with your conclusion.

Anyone who didn't watch Alty during the Gerry Quinn regime would have missed the priceless opportunity to have seen the peerless Tunna grace the hallowed turf of Moss Lane....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

Yes ok it was just the chester game but I am still gutted I missed it
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Season Ticket