News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hayes Gateshead

Author Topic: Hayes Gateshead  (Read 3463 times)

Bath Alty

Hayes Gateshead
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:04:42 AM »

Firstly best wishes to the lad with the broken leg.

Interesting view from the Hayes manager

Hayes & Yeading manager Gary Haylock told BBC London 94.9:

"The referee made the decision to carry on the game and to be honest the Gateshead players refused to come out of the dressing room.

"They were understandably upset by their team-mate's injury but the game was not called off because of the serious injury, it was called off because the Gateshead players refused to come out of the dressing room.

"I would have a huge problem with doing this again because we're a part-time club. We've got players who are working, some players might not be able to make the game.

"To me there can be only one decision, that we're awarded the points, we win the game and move on."

Sounds like we've not heard the end of this one.  How would we feel in their place? These long away trips are expensive, especially when their gate is so low.  I suspect they feel much the same as we did in the infamous Torquay waterlogged pitch fiasco.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »

Surely as it went past the 70/75 mins rule for abandoned matches (dependant on where you hear it from), the result should stand at 0-0 and a point apiece.

I thought this game had draw written all over it anyway.2 poor sides cancelling each other out.How would Hayes feel if the game was replayed and they lost or drew? It would be an absolute waste of time and money!!

But yes,best wishes to Britton (played against us for Kiddy last season I think?). Must have been a horrible broken leg for it to distress the players,hope not ended his carreer.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »

Sounds like the lad had an horrendous injury. Hope he recovers from it.

As for the decision to stay in the dressing room by the Gateshead players....

That will have to be one for the league to decide... I wont hold my breathe waiting for a decision on that one.. I suppose it will depend on what the referee puts in his report ..

Probably end up being replayed... and maybe Gateshead having to stump up the fees for travel and accommodation for Hayes & Yeading..

It is probably the furthest Hayes & Yeading have to travel as well

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »

I know exactly how the Gateshead players feel.
I was playing in goal for the Republic of Ireland Supporters Club in a 6 a side tournament in South Africa. Our defender and the oposing forward collided right next to me and Jamie's leg snapped with an almighty crack - very disturbing indeed. Our next and last group game was against the British High Commission (made up of a squad of 12 very fit players) who were favourites to win the tournament and needed just a draw against us to make the final, and a win for them against us was regarded as a formality. We were already out of the competition. Our squad was now down to just 6 players and only three of us, including myself wanted to play the match. We played the game and against all the odds we won 4-2 and I played the best game of my life including saving 2 pens. The British High Commission were knocked out and I have never seen a team so p***** off at losing, as they not only expected to win the tournament but they didnt think we would field a team to play them. Celtic Supporters club won the tournament.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »

Firstly best wishes to the lad with the broken leg.

Interesting view from the Hayes manager

Hayes & Yeading manager Gary Haylock told BBC London 94.9:

"The referee made the decision to carry on the game and to be honest the Gateshead players refused to come out of the dressing room.

"They were understandably upset by their team-mate's injury but the game was not called off because of the serious injury, it was called off because the Gateshead players refused to come out of the dressing room.

"I would have a huge problem with doing this again because we're a part-time club. We've got players who are working, some players might not be able to make the game.

"To me there can be only one decision, that we're awarded the points, we win the game and move on."

Sounds like we've not heard the end of this one.  How would we feel in their place? These long away trips are expensive, especially when their gate is so low.  I suspect they feel much the same as we did in the infamous Torquay waterlogged pitch fiasco.

If the referee has said the game must continue. The game must continue. If the Gateshead players have refused to carry on they could be charged with causing a game to be abandoned.
They really should be beating teams like us

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »

best wishes to the player with a broken leg.I have never heard of a game being called off because of an injury,think the rest of the gateshead team were wrong here.
Harold

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:57:15 PM »

If the referee said the game must continue surely Gateshead must face disciplinary action. The players understandably did not feel like continuing, but they are professionals and should have played the rest of the game. Hayes should be awarded the points. I don't think Gateshead would have refused to play on if they were 6-0 in front.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »

From a purely selfish viewpoint, I was quite happy with the abandonment. I'd foolishly put Gateshead in a Yankee with Southend, Carlisle, and Switzerland (yes,really!) and they counted as a non runner. I netted £47, which would have been far less if it run its course and their ten men hadn't somehow swung it !

Longman

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »

Broken legs happen often in football, was it a really horrific one or something?

Did he snap it ala Larsson and Busst?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »

Gateshead were a man down due to a red card........so I reckon Hayes fancied their chances of gaining three points
If it had been 11 vs 11 then maybe they would have been happy 'taking' the draw

Will be interesting to see what happens. Hope the player can be fixed too
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »

Two words - Marcus Hallows.

We carried on (and ended up losing ten minutes into added time) in very similar circumstances.

I doubt if we even contemplated a forced abandonment.

baldrick

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »

Two words - Marcus Hallows.

We carried on (and ended up losing ten minutes into added time) in very similar circumstances.

I doubt if we even contemplated a forced abandonment.
This was probably before my time but it seems to suggest Gateshead did the right thing by refusing to play on.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »

Radical Suggestions Department

Let's say this match DOES have to be replayed. If it were pencilled in for the last week of the season, it's just possible that one of thes clubs - or even both of 'em - could already be doomed to relegation. In which case the League Management Committee could retrospectively allow the result to stand.

Otherwise (sometimes my sheer genius amazes me) we could be in a position to hold a real live relegation play off Final. We could call it "The A.G.M. Cup Final" and force Gateshead to play it on a neutral ground. Now where can I think of that's halfway between Gateshead and Hayes.........!

And if some of the "Moaning Minnie" element of OUR support were forced to watch the probable goalless two hours and inevitable penalty shootout, perhaps they'd finally realise that watching The Mighty Robins is actually a privilege !

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

Radical Suggestions Department

Let's say this match DOES have to be replayed. If it were pencilled in for the last week of the season, it's just possible that one of thes clubs - or even both of 'em - could already be doomed to relegation. In which case the League Management Committee could retrospectively allow the result to stand.

Otherwise (sometimes my sheer genius amazes me) we could be in a position to hold a real live relegation play off Final. We could call it "The A.G.M. Cup Final" and force Gateshead to play it on a neutral ground. Now where can I think of that's halfway between Gateshead and Hayes.........!

And if some of the "Moaning Minnie" element of OUR support were forced to watch the probable goalless two hours and inevitable penalty shootout, perhaps they'd finally realise that watching The Mighty Robins is actually a privilege !

Mansfield??
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hayes Gateshead