News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bad for the game this....

Author Topic: Bad for the game this....  (Read 3078 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »

FC Stockport away in the 2nd qual anyone?  >:(

http://theonionsack.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/news-artificial-pitches-allowed-in-fa.html?m=1

We can't grow a lot in this country, but its grass FFS?

Knutsford Alty

Re: Bad for the game this....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »

http://theonionsack.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/news-artificial-pitches-allowed-in-fa.html?m=1

Long gone are the days of Clive Allen with a sweeping brush at Loftus Road (and 40p for a programme for that matter) 

A recent Champions League final has been played on an artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow between Manchester United and Chelsea. Widnes Vikings now host Super League rugby at the Stobart Stadium.  Even down the road at BTH they have a 3G pitch, we are going to see more and more of an improvement in artificial pitches and it aint going away....   

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »

Long gone are the days of Clive Allen with a sweeping brush at Loftus Road (and 40p for a programme for that matter) 

A recent Champions League final has been played on an artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow between Manchester United and Chelsea. Widnes Vikings now host Super League rugby at the Stobart Stadium.  Even down the road at BTH they have a 3G pitch, we are going to see more and more of an improvement in artificial pitches and it aint going away....   

I didn't know Paul Brush played for QPR.......

or was Clive Allen playing sweeper?

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

A recent Champions League final has been played on an artificial pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow between Manchester United and Chelsea. Widnes Vikings now host Super League rugby at the Stobart Stadium.  Even down the road at BTH they have a 3G pitch, we are going to see more and more of an improvement in artificial pitches and it aint going away....  

The Champions League Final in 2008 was actually played on a temporary grass surface at the Luzhniki Stadium in accordance with UEFA rules.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »

I didn't know Paul Brush played for QPR.......

or was Clive Allen playing sweeper?
Was Marlon Broomes involved ? and did they play Bristle Rovers that season ?

York Alty

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »

who nicked his socks?

EX GK

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »

I am currently in Spain on holiday, and every town I have visited seems to have the latest 3G pitch that "the world and his dog" use, and it has'nt done Spanish football any harm.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »

I was not a huge fan personally as the first time I officiated on one of these pitches I picked up an injury that took an age to recover from

However they do seem to be the way forward, they have improved immeasurably over time.

Also if your club has one you don't lose many games to the weather and they are a way to generate some income.

That being said I AM a traditionalist and would still say that football should, where possible, be played on proper grass pitches

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »

I don't think it will be too long before artificial pitches are a real viable and sensible option.

just don't buy shares in Qualcast!

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »

I don't think it will be too long before artificial pitches are a real viable and sensible option.

I'm of the opinion these will be in use for the world cup in Qatar in 2022.  Ten years of development, testing and trials. Solves the watering problem too.

Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

I'm of the opinion these will be in use for the world cup in Qatar in 2022.  Ten years of development, testing and trials. Solves the watering problem too.

Wouldn't be surprised.

Butty

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised.

But Spain complained that their pitch in the qualifiers was 'too dry' and they couldn't play their fluent football- the ball doesn't quite roll the same as it does on a decent grass pitch, it bobbles along

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised.

But Spain complained that their pitch in the qualifiers was 'too dry' and they couldn't play their fluent football- the ball doesn't quite roll the same as it does on a decent grass pitch, it bobbles along
Same for both teams on the pitch, and Spain did win in the end.  I am with ATS in that game should be on grass but that's not going to stop research and improvements.  Easy(ish) to maintain pitch, low cost, hire it out...the money starts to make sense and it's that factor that will decide the outcome.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team