PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How to cancel Setanta
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to cancel Setanta  (Read 5261 times)

Jenga

How to cancel Setanta
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:01 AM »

With the issues of the premier league I fear that Setanta is doomed as people cancel their subscription due to lack of premiership football.

My question is can any one remember how to cancel the subscription.
?

Is it a matter of just cacnelling the DDM or do you have to phone them or what, I just cant remember I dont want them to keep taking my money after they have gone under.

Yes I know they should stop all collections but lets face it they probably wont and collect as much money by administrators/liquidators as possible.

baldrick

Re: How to cancel Setanta
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:00:49 AM »

Cancel the direct debit and forget about it.

alty snapper

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

For as long as they are still trading they will chase you if you just cancel your D/D and not your contract, and for your credit rate you wouldn't want that.... there is more info here though

http://www.setanta.com/global/gb.html

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »

Cancel the direct debit and forget about it.

I would suggest that would be the least likely, you still have a contract with them, so if you have 9 months remaining and you cancel your DD they will most likely transfer it to a debt collector. They won't go under and will probably 'buy' the debt so if you dont then pay you will probably end up wuth a CCJ registered against you.

I would write to them saying they have broken the terms of the agreement by not allowing you to watch what you origianally signed up to, therefore any contract is null and void, give them 14 days notice.

I notice on their website one of the questions is : Shall I cancel my DD, and the answer is no, they're hardly going to advertise the fact they broken terms of your contract and yes you should severe all ties immediatly.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »

Setanta has two extremely profitable arms which will likely as not be sold off with the revenue funding the continuation of a greatly reduced UK element which will buy product from the other two arms (USA and Republic of Ireland) and offer them to subscribers in this country.

If you recall Setantas first 'in' to this Country was Gaelic Sport (Hurling and Gaelic Football) for which  there apparently remains a substantial demand from ex-pats.

Setanta as a company was never defined by its Football coverage which may well have been a step too far.

As has been said earlier just cancelling the DD wont work as you do still have a contract with Setanta, without knowing the terms of said contract, I would assume that you will have to honour for as long as it remains in force.

baldrick

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »

Setanta broke the contract, not Jenga. He could send them a quick e-mail explaining why the direct debit has been cancelled, although it should be obvious.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »

With the issues of the premier league I fear that Setanta is doomed as people cancel their subscription due to lack of premiership football.

My question is can any one remember how to cancel the subscription.
?

Is it a matter of just cacnelling the DDM or do you have to phone them or what, I just cant remember I dont want them to keep taking my money after they have gone under.

Yes I know they should stop all collections but lets face it they probably wont and collect as much money by administrators/liquidators as possible.
jenga, are you on virgin media?

if so just call up and say you want to remove the setanta package from your subscription. they'll do it no fuss.

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »

No i pay it seperatly to Setanta.

I have cancelled the DDM now and will email them.

The mention of a CCJ is a little storng, this would never happen at an ealry stage, they will first of all send me a new ddm to fill in.

If i recall it is a 30 day cancellation notice period.

joe

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »

If you've got a freeview box and just add Setanta separately its not a contract,its pay as you go monthly and you need to write to them to cancel it.

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »

Ihave it on sky.

Anyway I spoke to them and this is how you cancel it on Sky.

1) Email them to cancel the subscription.
2) They respond back
3) Cancelled in 30 days.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

No i pay it seperatly to Setanta.

I have cancelled the DDM now and will email them.

The mention of a CCJ is a little storng, this would never happen at an ealry stage, they will first of all send me a new ddm to fill in.If i recall it is a 30 day cancellation notice period.

I know that, but were you planning on sending them your bank details again ? I think not, I was merely pointing out that if you didn't do it correctly you could have it transfered to a debt collection agency and then if you didnt pay them it would end up with a CCJ against you, of course that being worce case scenario.

It seems you have it sorted now so know more money off to them

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »

how are we going to get the tick tock football in Champs. the place gets packed when they show the likes of Falkirk v inverness. bad news is i now have no chance of watching my beloved Alty on tele(not that we got on last year)

must dash its sudan v Ghana world cup qualifier and the place is full of drunken yarpies celebrating their win at the oddball game.

love to all

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »

It's  unlikely you'd get a ccj for non-payment, but it would go through a collections process that could eventually affect your credit file. The correct process is cancel the subscription per their terms and conditions. Once the monthly (and it is just monthly) contract is cancelled they will stop direct debiting your bank account. Unitl (and if) they stop broadcasting they haven't broken their side of the bargain.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »

Setanta broke the contract, not Jenga.

Setanta's contract explicitly states that the subscription includes premier league football? I find that hard to believe.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »

I would be entirely gobsmacked if there was an explicit mention of Premier League in the Setanta Contract. Some people who have been with Setanta will have signed up before they even started broadcasting Premier League Football.

As has been said, provided they are still broadcasting sporting events to which they have the rights they will, I believe, be fulfilling their side of any contract.

If the contract does specify Premier League Football then they deserve everything they get
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How to cancel Setanta