News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southampton

Author Topic: Southampton  (Read 2734 times)

baldrick

Southampton
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »

Apparently there is a very real chance of Southampton joining the BSP. How would that work? Who would make way for them? Would Shrewsbury go up a division and Cambridge be promoted into the league? Le Tiss seems to be the only one who can save them but he doesn't appear to be silly enough to want to waste his money.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »

It won't happen. Even if they did want it to happen, the AGM has now taken place and the allocation of clubs has been decided.

The whole idea is a complete non-starter.

But, having said that, knowing this league anything is possible!
Come on Alty!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »

As the BSP AGM was last Saturday is not now too late?
Or could the goalposts be moved to accommodate?
It would make common sense to go the roure of promoting Cambridge, but when did common sense ever prevail in the BSP.
Also this would really rattle Woking's cage for a reprieve
However it is highly unlikely that Southampton will be kickd out of the FL not matter how many rules they may have broken

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »

RedhillAlty has called it right all the way in his post. 

flaggerN

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:46 AM »

Would it not affect promotion and relegation at top and bottom of the lower divisions resulting in a reprieve for Chester and not a promotion for Cambridge

baldrick

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »

Would it not affect promotion and relegation at top and bottom of the lower divisions resulting in a reprieve for Chester and not a promotion for Cambridge
My theory is a team going down must be replaced by a team coming up and vice versa.

joe

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »

My theory is a team going down must be replaced by a team coming up and vice versa.

If a team goes bump or gets relegated through the divisions it normally means a reprieve for a relegated team rather than an extra promotion place. If this wasn't the case Alty would've been relegated a few times over by now!

baldrick

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »

If a team goes bump or gets relegated through the divisions it normally means a reprieve for a relegated team rather than an extra promotion place. If this wasn't the case Alty would've been relegated a few times over by now!

The timing is important. They are now a league one team so if they go broke a league two team should replace them.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:12 PM »

The timing is important. They are now a league one team so if they go broke a league two team should replace them.

What happens and what maybe should happen are two different things.
If the Saints go bump before a ball is kicked, then League One will play with an odd number of teams next season. If they 'go' mid-season, then the number of relegation places will be reduced.

AGMs have taken place and everything is now set in stone until the next AGM. The chances of Southampton playing in the BSP this coming season are zero
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »

AGMs have taken place and everything is now set in stone until the next AGM. The chances of Southampton playing in the BSP this coming season are zero

I'm pretty certain that clubs can call an Emergency General Meeting at any point.

If Southampton were to go bump and reform then need a league to play in .i.e the BSP I'm pretty certain that, given the obvious financial advantages to all concerned, the leagues chairman would vote to extend the league to 25 teams or something.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »

Well.........maybe you are right.But how does a club that currently plays outside of the BSP call an emergency meeting of that competition

I thought it was the FA that decided where teams were placed in such circumstances, although I can see the BSP wanting them ! I suppose anything can happen knowing how the FA/Conf behave
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

Mick, it would be the conference chairman who would call the AGM, if there was even the slightest possibility of Southampton joining the BSP they'd be mad not to try and include them hook or by crook.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southampton