News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells - Thank you Altrincham

Author Topic: Jackie Swindells - Thank you Altrincham  (Read 6396 times)

Swindells60

« on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

To all the ex-teammates, fans, officials and friends of Altrincham who have posted their condolences and memories of Jackie Swindells on this site and in the local press may I say a heartfelt thank you from myself and my two brothers, Neil and Martin, and my sister Lynne.  My Dad was thrilled with the reception he received on his recent visit to the Kidderminster match for his birthday.  We had a wonderful weekend with him; the last time we all saw him.
Altrincham was a huge part of his life and he told many many tales about his time at the club and the lifelong friends he made.  As a child I remember many occasions when we would be out as a family and he would stop to chat to someone who had stopped to say hello and it was invariably an Alty fan sharing memories.  I have so many memories of my own childhood linked with watching him in the red and white shirt; him being abused by the Macclesfield fans; him scoring many a goal and running over to the mainstand to blow us a kiss as we sat at the back; taking the team kit home and my mum washing it in the bath; Peter Swailes lending us his car to go on holiday to Cornwall; Dad coming home with 3/4/5 "new" suits courtesy of Freddie Pye; being in the tea room under the stand whilst the team were photographed in new club suits for a big match; going to The Bowden Hotel for the pre-match meal before home matches; playing on the pitch after a match; Len Pollitt always teasing me in a friendly way; Noel White always a perfect gentleman; Dad working in the scrap metal yards and me being able to go to work with him across the road from what is now Eastlands .  I could go on for pages.  The lasting memories are all of an extremely happy time in all our lives and I would venture to say the happiest time of my Dad's life. So thank you all very very much; and I am happy to report that he got the send off he deserved.  Altrincham Football Club was well represented at his final appearance and I know he would have been very proud.
With my sincerest thanks
Jill Gray (nee Swindells) (born 1960 hence the name! - Dad never did figure it out!!)

chas

Re: Jackie Swindells - Thank you Altrincham
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »

I went to an Alty training session in 65, and afterwards your dad was sat with Ronnie Taylor having a cuppa tea in the canteen afterwards, and I nervously asked him for his autograph ( I was 9) . Your dad was brilliant, asked my name and wrote best wishes to me. I was made up  - my hero then and always after. I also shook his hand again in April 09 at Moss Lane and wished him all the best and welcomed him back (tho I dont think he remembered me, I shall always remember Jackie  :) :) )
A true gentleman and legend.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »

A lovely emotional and evocative post. I missed Jackie play by one season but knew his reputation very quickly.

Thanks for posting and I hope you can feel some comfort from the feelings of supporters on here.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »

I too missed the great man by a couple of seasons. What a great post for a wonderful ambassador for Altrincham football club. 

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »

What a nice post......

It's good we were able to honour Jackie and let him know the esteem in which he was held before he left us and I know from experience how comforting words of tribute are to those left behind when you lose a loved one.

Thanks for posting.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »

What a lovely heartfelt post by Jackie's daughter.  Your dad would be very proud of you for writing such a lovely message in what must be a sad time in all your familie's life just now.

He will never be forgotten by all associated at Alty .

For once I am glad to be one of the older members of this forum for the simple fact that I was one of the lucky ones to see your dad display his skills as an Altrincham player.

Regards
Ray

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

Jill, I'm sure all Alty fans thank you for that post but I must correct it a little ...

You weren't ALWAYS in the stand were you? I remember "the Swindells kids", as you used to be bracketed, running all around the ground playing on quite a few occasions during games  ;)

Happy days!

Best wishes to you and to all your family from one old codger for whom your dad lit up those days.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

for whom your dad lit up.

He set you on fire!!  :o

What a lovely post from Jill. Our thoughts are all with your family at this time and I'm sure you know you will always be welcome down at Moss Lane.

Thanks for taking the time to post x

Swindells60

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

To Saul Robin,
No I admit it - we DID sometimes escape the clutches of my Mum!  :D

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to come on here and post such a heartfelt message. Above and beyond the call in the circumstances.

I'm sure your father's memory will live on at Moss Lane long after we've gone.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »

Dear Jill

I am sorry to say I missed your dad play by 3 years, but on becoming a Robins fan, all the older members told me many stories about your fathers exploits. He was very much loved at Altrincham, my own lads even ask about him often even though I never saw him play. But I tell them about him as much as I can, from what I have learnt. I also know and understand your loss and share your grief at this sad time, I lost my father in 1985 and I still miss him now. As time goes by we learn to deal with it, and you will too. But his memories are still upstairs between my two ears. Yours will be too.

Perhaps reading all these tributes will help a great deal, all I can say is I wish to god I could have seen your father play just once for this club that we both hold dear.

Best wishes to you and all of your family for the future, keep the meories close to all your hearts.

Love from

Steve from Sale

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »

As one of the oldies on this site, in terms of my birth certificate at any rate, I was privileged to watch Jackie play on many occasions. A lovely tribute to a man who gave me a vast amount of pleasure. I hope you caught the belated obituary in The Times at the end of last week. They tried to fool us by calling him John, but there were a couple of stories there that were new even to me ! One of my own memories was being at Great Harwood when a dreadful piece of refereeing saw him sent off - I believe the only one of his career. Even the opposing fans booed the ref off !

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

I think this is the link referred to. Look at the bit about leaving Barnsley due to being paid too much! Today's prima donnas take note.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6725248.ece
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 11:50:45 PM »

at last the new revamped champs is nearly  and we have the legends lounge.
i will put jackie swindels in it along side casssius clay, george best, stanley matthews etc but i need a couple of photos and will add the obit to one frame
can some one email me the photos we have of sir jackie or if its easier i will give you an english address to send hard copy to

it will be one part of africa that will be forever alty

andrew47

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »

Hi, I was very sorry to hear about your father.

I write in the match day programme for one of his old clubs, Newport County and would like to do a piece on him.

Your father unfortunately played for us during a period when we had seemed to have banned photographers and therefore I have never seen one of him in a County kit. Unfortunately there don't appear to be any clear photos of him in his splaying days on the net either. If possible I would very much like a reasopnable copy of a photo of him in his playing days and one of him in his later years emailed to me. I hope you are able to help.

Your dad wasn't with us long but did well scoring 6 in 28 appearances before returning home to look after his father. Our loss was certainly Altrincham's gain!

My email address is andrew.taylor470@btinternet.com

My very best wishes

Andrew Taylor
Newport County

Anyone else able to help me if Jill does not see this in time - any help you could give would be much appreciated.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team