News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Happy Birthday!!!

Author Topic: Happy Birthday!!!  (Read 2734 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday!!!
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »

Radio Robins is 2 years old today.........our first commentary was broadcast on Tuesday March 15th 2011 (Altrincham 2 Forest Green Rovers 1)

Sadly, Radio Robins' patron saint, Norman Collier, passed away yesterday........but we will ensure that his memory lives on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpQyJ_bTiw

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »

Doesn't seem two years since we made those first few faltering (stuttering?) steps with Radio Robins and its hard to imagine an Alty match now without RR there to describe the action. Brian & his commentary colleagues are to be thanked for doing such sterling work and I'm sure its much more difficult than it sounds.

Paul

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »

My earliest memory of RR is Mr Flynn asking us to let the RR team know if we couldn't hear them!

With the live text commentaries, a great boon to us exiles and shows what a quality club Alty is.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »

Is it really two years since our first broadcast ?

As one of the original team of commentators who had the priveldge of commentating on our 'debut' match, there have been numerous memorable and hilarious moments over the first two years.

I remember out first broadcast on a dark Tuesday at home to Forest Green. You think you are well prepared, and have done your research and then the oppostion walk out in Black & Green stripped shirts with Black numbers on the back which you have no chance of recognising. The match will be remembered for the totally unbiased and controlled description of Altrincham's winning goal by a certain Mr Flynn yelling 'IT'S GONE IN ? IT'S GONE IN !  

Brian's enthusiasm for all things Alty did almost get us into a scrape with the geordie faithful at Blyth Spartans last season when a late and rather dubious penalty was awarded to Altrincham. Brian's comments that the referee's decision was fully justified were overheard by the supporters in the main stand and his over exhubertant description of Damien Reeves penalty conversion (yes those were the days when we could score from penalties!) did not go down too well. Fortunately his two henchman namely yours truly and Simon Ellis were able to avert a diplomatic incident !!

It soon became obvious that at away games you should NEVER assume anything ! Our hard worked press officer Mr Flynn is usually very thorough in his preparations in making arrangments for away matches. However our first away trip to Vauxhall Motors following relegation left us with an unsurmoutable problem. Having liased with the home club and requested permission to broadcast we all turned up at the appointed time only to find that in the immortal words of Apollo 13  - 'Houston We Have A Problem.'  - No power supply in the press box !

The problem was compounded by the fact that Brian's laptop was not fully charged and was never going to last the full 90 minutes. A cunning plan was quickly hatched whereby we would broadcast until the charge finally ran out and Brian would then dash round to the secretary's office and stick his laptop on charge at half time.

The lap top died a death just before half time with the Robins leading 1-0. Brian's embarked on his mercy mission and arrived back from the secretary's office 10 minutes into the second half. Listeners were non plussed to find that in the unscheduled break in transmission the Robins had conceded two goals and were 1-2 down !

Technical issues at away matches can be numerous. Wi Fi reception etc can at times be non existent. We rely on feed back from the forum as to whether you can hear us. We once spent 45 minutes providing first half commentary at a pre season freindly at Nantwich Town only to find that no one had been able to hear us !!

One of the unique features of providing commentaries on Radio Robins is the instant and often amusuing feedback we get from the Fans Forum. Two cases in point were the time when broadcasting from Colwyn Bay. Halfway in to the first half we were interupted by lady selling tickets for the half time draw. Brian could be heard in the back ground making a purchase and immediatley some wag on the forum wished him luck in the half time draw ! The second amusing incident was whilst providing match comentary for a youth cup match at home to Darlington. Mention was made of the young Darlington No 11 and a post was made on the forum from his mother who had tuned in, asking us to tell him not to make a noise when he got back in later that evening (or more likely early morning) !

It is always a encouraging to know via the Fans Forum, that we are being listened to by a world wide audience.

Happy Birthday to Radio Robins, thank you to all our listeners and here's to the next two years.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:28:00 PM by (S)ALTY »

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

A brilliant service. Thank you all those involved.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

A couple of great memories there Salty - great stuff all round.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »

As one of the originl team of commentators who had the priveldge of commentating on our 'debut' match, there have been numerous memorable and hilarious moments over the first two years.

Brian's enthusiasm for all things Alty did almost get us into a scrape with the geordie faithful at Blyth Spartans last season when a late and rather dubious penalty was awarded to Altrincham. Brian's comments that the referee's decision was fully justified were overheard by the supporters in the main stand and his over exhubertant description of Damien Reeves penalty conversion (yes those were the days when we could score from penalties!) did not go down too well. Fortunately his two henchman namely yours truly and Simon Ellis were able to avert a diplomatic incident !!

I'm glad Simon was able to avert a diplomatic incident Salty. Did he send a diplomatic cable from home or something?...

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »

As one of the originl team of commentators who had the priveldge of commentating on our 'debut' match, there have been numerous memorable and hilarious moments over the first two years.

I'm glad Simon was able to avert a diplomatic incident Salty. Did he send a diplomatic cable from home or something?...

Does my memory fail me ? Was it you holding him back ?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »

I just told the mad Geordie to fu..do one and sit his arse back down as we were still commentating!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:53 PM »

Why eye man it's all coming back to me now !

I've never been served a bigger portion of chips than in the chippy just down the road from their ground. There were enough to feed a family of 4 for a week.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Happy Birthday!!!