News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Forum is quiet - nerves telling?

Author Topic: Forum is quiet - nerves telling?  (Read 1950 times)

Jenga

« on: September 24, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are to Saturdays result as the forum is a little quiet about this.

Yes we won, played ok and got 3 points.

My concern is that we played a very poor Droylesdon side and that in reality the win might have just papered over the cracks for a week.

Having said that we played the best team we could and won and you cant ask for any more than that really.

Hopefully we can kick on with some confidence.

Thoughts please.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Forum is quiet - nerves telling?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »

I agree we were the better team on Saturday, and the PPb seemed to return, which we had loads of last year.

With the injuries and sickness we did ok, we are better when we pass through on the floor and Colin and Chris found some space.

Crawley will be tough, and alot will depend on the fitness and injuries Graham will have to find some balance.

Tomorrow I can see people like Berkeley, Munroe, Rose, Mcfadden getting a run out against Rod etc.

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »

My only thoughts are that the manager got the team spot on and we got the result his selections deserved. the opposition is almost irrelevant in my eyes as we played against absolute dross the week before and lost 2-0.

Well down to Graham and the lads for Saturday. We now have a good platfrom on which to build starting tomorrow night at Witton.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:23:21 PM »

It was a tremendous relief to record that first win, regardless of who the opposition were.

As I have written elsewhere, it was reassuring to see us play with a more positive approach and exhibit the sort of team spirit that has served us so well over the last few years.

Unfortunately, we can only play Droylsden twice in the league, because I'd love to see us come up against that type of woeful defending every week!

The next three BSN games against Crawley, Rushden and Burton will be a better means of gauging whether we have 'turned a corner'.

I suspect that just a little of the gloss of Saturday's victory was taken off by a combination of the injuries to Whalley and Saunders and the news of the away wins by York and, in particular, Stafford, which were obviously more impressive results than ours. 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »

I cant help but think that for certain periods in the game, Altrincham played down to the level of Droylsden.

Our attitude and endeavour in the game could not be faulted, and fair play to the lads for not dropping their heads when going behind to such an early goal...but due to the lack of quality Droylsden possessed,  at no point did i think we would take anything other than a win from the game, even when behind. (Perhaps maybe when they rattled the woodwork and missed the rebound 2 mins from the end i had a bit of a wobble!)

I think 3-2 flattered Droylsden, and assuming we can keep things tight defensively for half an hour...combined with more of the same that we saw on Saturday, and maybe an earlier introduction for Pottsy...i dont think a small number of points from the next few undoubtedly tough games is out of the question.

I would suggest that the forum is quiet due to things being remarkably gloomier on here only days ago, and having seen such promise on Saturday...everyone is quietly hoping we have turned a corner.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »

My concern is that we played a very poor Droylesdon side and that in reality the win might have just papered over the cracks for a week.

My concern is that people will forget how to enjoy things.  We couldn't do much more than win and get three points.  We got the attacking formation most wanted on here.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »

Yes we played a poor Droylsden side, but they are in this division on merit and probably have a budget that exceeds our own. Had they taken a point and denied us 3 points, then we may have lived to regret it come April (remember Stafford last season).

Losing influential / key players to injury could have resulted in an even worse outcome. But it did not. The players showed great spirit to dig in and prevent this from happening.
Both penalties could have been avoided and can be put down to inexperience, without these the scoreline would have closer resembled the difference in class and tactics on the day i.e 3-0 !

With losing comes a losing culture, winning is about restoring confidence and self belief. The players need to believe they are good enough to play in this division.........I know people will think 'we have only beat Droylsden', whatabout Burton etc, but just maybe the win is all that was needed

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »

Totally agree with Mick,give everyone at the club the credit for the result
Harold
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team