PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nantwich Town v Alty: Cheshire Senior Cup 1976
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nantwich Town v Alty: Cheshire Senior Cup 1976  (Read 4379 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nantwich Town v Alty: Cheshire Senior Cup 1976
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »

Furnival played and scored as I distinctly remember him working in a V sign to our supporters in his goal celebrations. Didn't Paul Clements also score in that Gainsborough game -  a player smaller than Chris Senior!

JTH,

I've just dug out the Altrincham Guardian report of that Cheshire Senior Cup tie at Nantwich back on 7th February 1976 and you are quite correct.....the legendary Dave Furnival did indeed score Alty's goal that afternoon.

Nantwich's ace striker, John Walker (who later went on to play for Witton), scored twice before Furnival pulled a goal back in the 84th minute, which is described as follows:

"Cutler, the Nantwich goalkeeper, was troubled only three times, twice from sliced clearances from his defenders and once from a swinging centre from Les Wain. He had no chance with FURNIVAL's thunderbolt of a goal six minutes from time."

Alty team: John Wood; Stan Allan; Ivan Crossley; Les Wain; Roy Hughes; John Owens; Paul Clements; Micky Moore; Dave Furnival; Lennie Dickinson; Mickey Brooke. Sub. Tony Bannister.

I still can't quite believe that I had forgotten that I had actually seen the lumbering ox Furnival score a goal for the Robins! Oh, and you are spot on again re. that Gainsborough match from 1976.
The scorers that day were Johnson, Webber and Clements (2).

Anyone else recall that game when Clements played with a bandage/makeshift turban on his head for most of the 90 minutes?

I believe that he also got a header in a 2-2 draw at Moss Lane against Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Trophy.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »

Does anyone else remember watching Alty lose 2-1 against Nantwich Town in the Cheshire Senior Cup back in February 1976?

I have very distant memories of that afternoon but am pretty certain that our underperforming manager, Les Rigby, handed his resignation in not long after that defeat.

Did the legendary Dave Furnival appear for Alty on that dark day?!

Father Flynn, are you out there?

I do have some enduring images of Dave Furnival playing at Nantwich & if memory serves he was particularly appalling that day.Nantwich dererved to win but we were awful.I think that Les Wain may have scored our goal(????).I have no memory linking this particular match with Les Rigby's inevitable demise but you may well be right in that I think this game was in the Quarter Final & took place in February.Tony Sanders arrived towards the end of March & Tommy Spratt was in charge for a few games in the intervening weeks.

I don't recall ever seeing Nantwich play at Moss Lane in my time but I have been to Nantwich's old ground (Jackson Avenue??) on five occasions.

1973....possibly October 6th..... we won 3-0 in the FA Cup....This is the only game I remember going to with Alty where the official supporters' coach was a double decker bus!

1974......we won 5-0 in the FA Trophy.

1976.......2-1 to the Dabbers as mentioned above.

1992.......1-0 to Alty in the CSC...as Ballers says the goal was scored by Clive Freeman about 10 minutes from the end & we were a tad fortunate to win.

Around 2003/4 I saw Clitheroe win there 3-2 to clinch the North West Counties League title.

Mister Flynn,

Nantwich visited Moss Lane for an FA Cup Third Qualfying Round tie back in October 1971.

It finished 1-1 and Alty won the replay (played at Gresty Road, Crewe) 4-1.

In those dismal days of Stan Allan's managerial reign at Moss Lane, we actually won 2-1 at Nantwich in the Cheshire Senior Cup (26th November 1991).

Go on then, who scored on that night? 

I'm struggling to remember anything about this game!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »

Does anyone else remember watching Alty lose 2-1 against Nantwich Town in the Cheshire Senior Cup back in February 1976?

I have very distant memories of that afternoon but am pretty certain that our underperforming manager, Les Rigby, handed his resignation in not long after that defeat.

I do have some enduring images of Dave Furnival playing at Nantwich & if memory serves he was particularly appalling that day.Nantwich dererved to win but we were awful.I think that Les Wain may have scored our goal(????).I have no memory linking this particular match with Les Rigby's inevitable demise but you may well be right in that I think this game was in the Quarter Final & took place in February.Tony Sanders arrived towards the end of March & Tommy Spratt was in charge for a few games in the intervening weeks.

I don't recall ever seeing Nantwich play at Moss Lane in my time but I have been to Nantwich's old ground (Jackson Avenue??) on five occasions.

1973....possibly October 6th..... we won 3-0 in the FA Cup....This is the only game I remember going to with Alty where the official supporters' coach was a double decker bus!

1992.......1-0 to Alty in the CSC...as Ballers says the goal was scored by Clive Freeman about 10 minutes from the end & we were a tad fortunate to win.

Around 2003/4 I saw Clitheroe win there 3-2 to clinch the North West Counties League title.

Mister Flynn,

Nantwich visited Moss Lane for an FA Cup Third Qualfying Round tie back in October 1971.

In those dismal days of Stan Allan's managerial reign at Moss Lane, we actually won 2-1 at Nantwich in the Cheshire Senior Cup (26th November 1991).

The scorers were Tony Edwards and Ken McKenna.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »

Mister Flynn,

The scorers were Tony Edwards and Ken McKenna.

I do remember Edwards scoring now!!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nantwich Town v Alty: Cheshire Senior Cup 1976