Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A question for Phil Taylor and other Refs (non \ and sort of Alty related)

Author Topic: A question for Phil Taylor and other Refs (non \ and sort of Alty related)  (Read 3418 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk

I watched the TACKLE by a Wigan player on a Man U player that resulted in a straight red and wondered when it came into play that WINNING THE BALL no longer mattered in football ?

As you know I was a right back and was always taught to get the ball then man or indeed get the ball no matter what. When I played a tackled from behind (as long as you got the ball first) was ok as it was a TACKLE but now it seems good TACKLES get punished. I am all for punishing bad FOULS but watching Alty and various matches I notice now that fair TACKLES are being taken out of the game and everything is perceived as FOUL even if when the ball is won first ? If a ball taken first then its a TACKLE in my book and TACKLES should not be punished ?

Is it just me that feels that TACKLING is being taken out of the game even at our level ? or am I just being too old fashioned and wanting tough TACKLERS in our game when others want FLAIR to always win and coast past people ?

** This diverting from results tactics :) **

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:20:05 AM by gazwarrington »

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: A question for Phil Taylor and other Refs (non \ and sort of Alty related)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »

I am not Phil Taylor, but just as an aside I remember from my Radio Times pull-out guide to the 1970 Mexico World Cup that "conintental" referees tended to give the tackle from behind as a foul as it was felt you couldn't get the ball without fouling the player. So it's nothing new really. As the final of this year's World Cup showed us though, it's not the rules but the interpretation that matters.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »

I used to come from the back but wrap my leg round (oh them were the days when I can move my legs  ;D) and this was ok ?

I know thats not new but the latest thing seems to be even if you get the ball first, which to me is a TACKLE you get penalised for it ?... Seems that its hard work to be a defender as you are limited to how you can get the ball ? I look at bookings and red cards and feel that even only 10yrs ago when I was playing that 50% would just be "Get up and get on with it"

The one thing I wish refs would do, and what I would do if I was one, is stick by the booking if people try to get others booked\sent off. These men in middle want to be centre of attention so should be annoyed with players that try and tell them how to do their job ?

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »

Absolutely anything "two footed" is frowned on these days. I suspect a two-footed goal kick would earn a booking ! Health and bloody Safety mate !

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »

i wonder if anyone has ever played the football equivalent of a three-legged race. how about a handicapping system where if more than three goals down at half-time the goalkeeper of the leading team has to strap one of his legs to the goalpost?

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »

The game is too soft now, but two-footed tackles are right to be red card offences, regardless of whether the ball is won. They're a coward's challenge, hence being carried out by scummers like Gerrard, Essien and Brown.

It's the pansies writhing around after the vaguest brush on the knee that really winds me up.

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »

I seem to remember sky sports making a big deal when the premier league introduced rules regarding tackling from behind.

My guess is since the start of the 2004/2005 season, all lunging tackles from behind are considered severely dangerous and worthy of a red card.
 It was probably trailed at euro 2004 and proved successful.

Butty

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »

I know its a riduculous example, but if I punched you in the face and got the ball, its a foul. If I won the ball then punched you in the face, I have still committed a foul. Thats my personal interpretation, but with tackling, it should be common sense where contact becomes a foul.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »

Gary,

The crux here is whether the challenge is careless (results in a foul and a free kick)

or the challenge is reckless (results in a foul, free kick and yellow card)

Or the Challenge is dangerous (foul free kick and red card)

Any challenge which is 'likely to endanger the safety of an opponent' or where the tackler 'is not in control of his movement' is deemed dangerous.

Once you go off your feet and launch yourself two footed at an opponent, whether you won the ball or not, you are not in control of your movement and the challenge is likely to endanger your opponent's safety.

Hence yesterdays challenge was a text book sending off and footage I would use to illustrate same on any Refereeing Course I was involved in delivering

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »

I understand what you say Phil but sometimes you 'take a chance' , just like someone could shoot from 40 yards or if a player tries a step over that fails. I can appreciate why 'a chance' is not ideal as could end someones career but if defenders had to be 100% on every challenge then it would be very difficult. You say 'reckless' but on the other side why can't it be perceived as 'timed to perfection' and split second accuracy ?

I know its a fine line but I watch football and see that defending seems to be a harder and harder job to do and that its trying to be phased out. Seems that a TACKLE can be a FOUL then in the modern game ?

My other rule (which is only one only I would agree with me thinks) is that if a player dives you should get one 'free' foul at him to make it evens ... Just an idea :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:14:12 PM by gazwarrington »

Bath Alty

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »

my preferred punishment for a dive is to award the other team the benfit you were trying to gain - dive in the box and you concede a penalty at the other end, dive when clean through and it's a free kick on the edge of your own box and a straight red.  Dive in th ecentre circle and it's just a free kick
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A question for Phil Taylor and other Refs (non \ and sort of Alty related)