Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AFC Wimbledon - Penalty reduced from 18pts to 3 pts...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: AFC Wimbledon - Penalty reduced from 18pts to 3 pts...  (Read 18812 times)

Altysmiffy

Re: AFC Wimbledon - Penalty reduced from 18pts to 3 pts...
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45:34 PM »

Thanks Colin. I don't know exactly what the circumstances were that meant your punishment was reduced and not ours, but I'm glad the FA were reasonable with you. Whatever the differences in the way the FA percieved our respective cases, I fear you are 100% correct in saying that any appeal for compensation will get nowhere.

WotaWally

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 11:08:12 PM »

We'll have to wait for the full details to be published but; 1) Jermaine Darlington had retired from football when he joined us so we didn't sign him from Cardiff - they held his papers as his last club. 2) 86 MPs signing an Early Day Motion. 3) Many MPs wrote to the FA saying the punishment  didn't fit the "crime".  4) Tony Blair saying it was a daft rule. 5) 10,000+ Sigs on the petition.
A lot of the support we got from the MPs was because of the uproar in football last year with your punishment when nothing much was done by them. I think there was a bit of guilt. Also, as a club in SW London formed out of the ashes after our club was stolen, we were of a lot more interest to the media than a village team oop north called Altrysomething  ;)
If we'd lost the appeal we could have played you in a match for the "-18point" cup - but it would still be good to meet you in a friendly some time.

Colin

WotaWally

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

This is a message on our AFC Wimbledon guestbook this evening from "Spanish Don" (our Madrid section of the club)

"Altrincham FC shows you there are still genuine folks left in the game. Got a congratulatory email from one of their supporters tonight, accepting that the FA truly shafted them for their 18 points last year... and that we truly didn't deserve to be unfairly treated as they were this time round - simply class!"

You are all welcome to visit:
http://www.afcwgb.co.uk/gb.php

Colin

Jezza

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 04:13:07 AM »

To me it seems at last the FA have made the right decision.

This is the decision we should have had and it seems a fair punishment for the initial crime of an admisitrative error rather than continuing to punish for the one error every time the player plays.

Would have been far more sensible for the FA to have set this precident with us last year.

They have , as usual, made themselves look stupid with an inconsistent treatment of two clubs who had done exactly the same thing and have set themselves up to look like ar$es.

Congratulations AFC Wimbledon....I can't see how we can say the FA decision against us was ludicrous and then say AFC Wimbledon should have got the same on the rules are rules basis which we made a mockery of a year ago.

When you look at Scarboro and Crawley, clearly Scarboro were in genuine financial problems which all depended on the sale of their ground which was being held up....in the interim they did whatever they could do to keep their heads above water. Crawley meanwhile, I think there was a piece on the official website where the owners admitted they had used administration as a way to get rid of players on contracts ie flouting the rules....even this statement went under the Moules radar...but both clubs should have recieved the same penalty which was a 10 point penalty for the following season whereas Scarboro also got kicked out of the league...in then end scarboro have been the real losers and Boston the great beneficeries of the ludicrous rules are rules or are they debacle.

teasybeaver

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »

After a nights sleep im still livid about all this!

Alls well that ends well for us, we stayed in the conference and now we could be here yet again next season on merit alone. Im happy for the wombles as well because justice was served correctly.

But this is just a shambles, how can a body like the FA that generates so much income be run so badly? I suppose the question is, would the deduction have been reduced to 3 points yesterday if we were languishing in the conference north because of last year? Not a chance!

So in theory its poor Scarboro who have felt the sh*tty end of the stick again, their relegation has subsequently saved 2 clubs whilst they are still in risk of a second relegation. Its ludicrous that Crawley can field a team every week let alone still in the bloody conference!

Ps if we did receive any compensation I think it should be given to Mr Woodward to do with as he chooses!

Sleepy the dwarf

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »

I think this whole thing stinks. Our appeal was turned down due to "no merits" yet AFC Wimbledon have theirs upheld and penalty reduced. Something is not quite right here! Although i am very happy for AFC wimbledon, i am stunned that the FA have acted in this way. How can they dish out different punishments for the same offence?

Perhaps no-one was threatening law suits or getting all the other clubs to email the FA?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 09:20:24 AM »

As WotaWally says, AFC Wimbledon have far more media clout than us.  Imagine if FCUM had been pulled up over the same offence!!  That's the reason for the double standards if you ask me. 

Same for Accrington, all the misty eyed sentimentality (cue grainy old pictures of Peel Park and that milk advert) will probably come into play...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 09:23:29 AM »

Yes.
Perhaps there might have been a difference in the outcome if AFC Wimbledon had been playing in the same league as FGR.
And whilst I'm on that subject, did you read that in the NLP at the weekend? I nearly fell off the chair. Colin Peake as one of the nominations for Administrator of the Year or some such like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the F**k's all that about?
Now if there was a prize for being a cheeky, hard-faced, duplicitous, back-stabbing, underhanded, sh*tshovelling b*****d of the Year, he'd get my vote for that one!

PS: Sorry about the above rant. It's very unlike me as regular readers of the site will know but I do feel much better for it  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:06:19 AM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Rich

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »

Did you miss out on any prize money by effectively finishing bottom, when you didn't ?

teasybeaver

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »

Did you miss out on any prize money by effectively finishing bottom, when you didn't ?

Thats a good point, cant we claim back the 10.76 we should have got for coming 18th?  ;)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »

Just wondered is Wales a foreign country,maybe thats the special circumstances,and would you need international clearance for someone who has played in wales?
Harold

Jenga

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »

As WotaWally says, AFC Wimbledon have far more media clout than us.  Imagine if FCUM had been pulled up over the same offence!!  That's the reason for the double standards if you ask me. 

Same for Accrington, all the misty eyed sentimentality (cue grainy old pictures of Peel Park and that milk advert) will probably come into play...

Maybe we just didnt push hard enough to defend ourselves?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »

Its simple - reduce our penalty from 18 to 3 points (we'll take them this season - like Scarbro got their -10 this season), and we're in the playoff places...It's only fair

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »

Brilliant!

No wonder you're in Management, Guru!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

louise1925

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

Has anyone got John Moules e-mail address? I'd love to ask him about this one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AFC Wimbledon - Penalty reduced from 18pts to 3 pts...