PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Kill Setanta now before they ruin the non league game
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kill Setanta now before they ruin the non league game  (Read 3416 times)

baldrick

« on: December 16, 2007, 12:24:52 PM »

Setanta want the game against York to be moved from Saturday to Thursday so they can show it on television. The answer must be NO. Television has played a major part in the death of league football. Lessons must be learned. It is just a matter of time before Liverpool/Arsenal/United etc start kicking off at 8am to satisfy Japs/Americans/Chinese television viewers. People will say television brings vital money into the game but unless you support one of the big clubs this is a bad thing. We have already seen evidence that Setanta are only interested in showing the former league teams, so if they give 80% of the money to Oxford/Cambridge/York etc those clubs will get richer and the poor will be left behind. Boot them out now before they do any serious damage.

Daycare Dan

Re: Kill Setanta now before they ruin the non league game
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

Why is a Thursday 7-45 kick off so inconvenient?

I say, thanks Setanta we'll take your £8k and move the game for you. Plus being on TV should help raise the profile of the club.

Once again we are always looking a the negatives of things. What’s better, moving a couple of games and getting £10k or being £10k lighter and playing on Saturday. Yea I thought so, we'll take the cash!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »

I agree that Sultana are focussing too much on the "Bigger" clubs.

However, up 'ere in Scotland they have been covering the Glasgow teams more than any other - Celtic or Rangers are shown virtually every week - but the smaller Premier league clubs are happy with the status quo. Admittedly, there is only one team that gets relegated (as opposed to our rediculous 4).

Setanta coverage has impressed me and has raised the profile of the non league game. Even Paul Parker says some intelligent stuff (just says intelligent words in the wrong order!) and if Setanta stay with the BSP I think the profile can only get better as more people use Setanta to watch English Premier League matches.

baldrick

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

Midweek evening games attract lower attendances than traditional Saturday games. The bigger clubs are shown roughly four times as often as the smaller clubs. So if the going rate is £8,000 per showing that means Altrincham get £8,000 while Oxford/Cambridge/York etc get £32,000 each. These clubs were already considerably richer than Altrincham. The gap between rich and poor will get bigger. Eventually Setanta will create an elite group of clubs in the same way that Sky has done with the premier league and the smaller clubs will have no chance of ever winning the league.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:26:41 PM »

this is obviously 1955 we've regressed to. so let me say TV is the future. one day no one will ever leave their own house. someone will invent the internet and tesco and all shopping will be delivered. the government will pay you to stay at home and television will pump football direct into your front room. they say it will be warmer in your lounge than standing on the terraces, but until someone invents central heating i remain to be convinced.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »

this is obviously 1955 we've regressed to. so let me say TV is the future. one day no one will ever leave their own house. someone will invent the internet and tesco and all shopping will be delivered. the government will pay you to stay at home and television will pump football direct into your front room. they say it will be warmer in your lounge than standing on the terraces, but until someone invents central heating i remain to be convinced.

I have bad news for you. The reason you are an unemployed coalminer is because we have central heating now.

However, still waiting for indoor bogs!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 05:32:45 PM »

ah but you'll still need coal for making all that town gas. haven't you noticed the gas works behind the football ground?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »

Does it only work behind the football ground? Maybe its broken elsewhere!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »

i can't believe there's talk of stopping that coal train running down the middle of moss lane. its not like there's cars parked either side all the way down past the sweet shop.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »

Cars? Those new fangled automobiles with the infernal combustion engine?

They'll never replace the horse & trap!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »

We have been waiting for years for a live TV contract at this level - when it comes along we still moan.  We are getting more consistent exposure nationally in the media than arguably ever before - even during the glory days.  The fee we get will probably cover any shortfall in gate receipts.  Also, given our relevant turnovers and wage bills, isn't £8000 possibly worth more to us than £32000 would be to some of the ex league clubs?

It was inevitable that Setanta would put the big clubs at the top of the pile - they are there to make money and hence they need the viewers.  Its been like that with any commercial channel for the last 25 years.  Its the real world, and unless our economy and society follows the lead of North Korea's, it ain't going to change anytime soon.  Two up, two down and the sugar daddy funded smaller clubs are mainly to blame for the rich v poor in this league.  The problem was already there before Setanta arrived.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »

So you haven't factored in the loss in gate receipts for the "bigger" clubs then?

baldrick

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:19:29 PM »

Look at the damage television has done to the premier league. We now have a generation of kids who have never been to a live match and probably never will.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »

Look at the damage television has done to the premier league. We now have a generation of kids who have never been to a live match and probably never will.

Then we tempt them to come to their local non league team. Setanta can help us do this with their support & coverage. Apart from anything else it is a chance for wee locals to get their fizzogs on the gogglebox!

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »

Football at this level is dieing

I am afraid that even die hard football fans have no interest in watching our level of football. I was discussing this with 3 mates (1 city i united and unbelievably 1 leeds)  2 of whom have played at nonleague level. All three said they had no interest in watching conference football as the standard is so poor and they only want to watch champions league or premiership. They are brainwashing their kids into thinking the same way (all three have taken theer lads to moss lane at some point but the lads are not interested in going again).
They would i assume rather sit and play football on the computer  in a warm lounge, I think the only way for any club at our level to get new fans of this generation is to have a couple of succesful seasons and some impressionable teenagers may just be hooked. in a success breeds success type way. How many or our curreent 16/17 yearold fans were hooked by the promotion season?

So my solution is we just need to win the league and everything will be ok!!!! easy isnt it
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team