PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Are we that bad?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are we that bad?  (Read 5544 times)

Beaver

Are we that bad?
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »

I've not been to many games this season so i'm putting this out there for you lot to tell me...

- We've got the best goal diff in the league and it suggests we aren't that bad defensively as well as scoring hatfulls of goals
- We still could have won the league had it not been for a Telford equaliser yesterday, we may well finish 1 or 2 points away in the end
- Likely we'll finish 3rd or 2nd
- I imagine our playing budget is not within the top 3 of this league
- We might actually still get promoted

Has it been that bad a season?  On the negative side we've performed poorly against other top teams and again seemed to lack the spite required to grab 3 points when its most needed.

I dont know if its just 3 or 4 posters on here that dictate the pace and consistently post negative reaction, or if we all genuinely feel like we've under performed this season so far?

I can only go off what i've seen and how we've done on paper. In a glass half full moment I think we might be saying that we've been unlucky not to win the league this year, we lost a lot of fixtures and ended up playing a lot of midweek away games. In a glass half empty moment you might say we've blown our best chance at automatic promotion.

I just wanted to get an idea of how many people actually think we're not good enough right now?

Jimmy

Re: Are we that bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

Not that bad beaver but we lose the vital matches which unless we address that quick will be our downfall also the standard of the other top teams is below last year that's why we shouldev took our chance

Beaver

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »

Not that bad beaver but we lose the vital matches which unless we address that quick will be our downfall also the standard of the other top teams is below last year that's why we shouldev took our chance

For me that was the crucial thing we did last season, continually falling at the hurdle where we could have made ourselves believe we were contenders, apart from a good run when it was too late. I have to say the fact that its not been addressed is pretty frustrating.

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

I don't think we have played as well this season as last, and I think the competition has been poorer.

In all honesty I think we should have won the league this time around.

What disappoints me is that we should have obtained a good sum of money for Watmore, but we have not seen this spent on either the playing budget or the ground. However there was talking earlier in the season that a previous director is trying or was trying to call in their "loan". It could be we are being cautious and sitting on the money until this is finalised in which case you could argue we are making the right decision.

It is a simple fact that we needed to take a couple more points off the top teams and we could have won the league.

Certainly not a disaster, but one where I still feel we have come up short, especially in the FA Cup and FA Trophy.

Overall though we have done well this season, but we could have done a little better, we are talking fine margins really.

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

I think you maybe a bit harsh to say budget small boshell although now gone wilkinson wally and griffin will be on a decent wage also perry will probably not be cheap due to former reputation

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

I think you maybe a bit harsh to say budget small boshell although now gone wilkinson wally and griffin will be on a decent wage also perry will probably not be cheap due to former reputation
Fair comment.

GEOFF HOOLEY

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:10:10 PM »

you left biggest earner out ,jimmy

Jimmy

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »

Geoff I think I know who you mean And I have no problem with quality players earning decent money good players don't come cheap

andrewflynn

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »

We've been terrible against the teams around us, when it has mattered the most. It is as simple as that. That isn't even an opinion, it is a fact. Here's a head-to-head mini league of the top five:

(Team, played, won, drawn, lost, for, against, GD, points.)

AFC Telfor   8   4   3   1   20   17   +3   15
Hednesfor    8   4   2   2   19   15   +4   14
North Ferri   8   3   2   3   11   10   +1   11
Guiseley      8   3   1   4   18    18    0    10
Altrincham   8   1   4   3   12   14   -2   7

Its also the reason I'm not very optimistic for the play offs. A marginally better record in this department and the league would have been ours. As it is, we have failed to win key games - most notably for me the 1-1 draws with AFC Telford and North Ferriby. Two extra points on one of those teams would have become huge.

brian1925

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

We are the best footballing team in this league and we usually stroll past the majority of lightweight teams, but we really struggle against a certain type of team, a big, physical team who simply bully us out of the game. The match at Telford basically summed our difficulties up. It's a shame really, as Telford are terrible, but that's life i'm afraid!

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »

Against the bottom half teams we dominate with the fact , given lots of space we can pass the ball ..... against middle to top teams we have won because we have the 2 best strikers in the league and in wally a player that is in form ..... against the top teams that close us down we are a shambles in midfield completely outclassed  and lucky that we have a great centre backs . So  in the play offs im expecting us to be out-classed in midfield and not expecting much from them and in comparison to last year it is a little unfair due to the fact we had watmore that really excited us and bosh in the later part of the season that showed class and once you get used to that quality it is always a pain getting used to the real standard of this league.
FFS

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

I think the way to tell how we are playing (or the quality of opposition) is how often Shaun can get forward. Against Colwyn Bay away (for example) he set up the first goal and put a number of crosses into the box. When we play better opposition he has his hands full defending and rarely gets across the halfway line.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »

Against the bottom half teams we dominate with the fact , given lots of space we can pass the ball ..... against middle to top teams we have won because we have the 2 best strikers in the league and in wally a player that is in form ..... against the top teams that close us down we are a shambles in midfield completely outclassed  and lucky that we have a great centre backs . So  in the play offs im expecting us to be out-classed in midfield and not expecting much from them and in comparison to last year it is a little unfair due to the fact we had watmore that really excited us and bosh in the later part of the season that showed class and once you get used to that quality it is always a pain getting used to the real standard of this league.

I don't think so. Home draws with Oxford and Histon are the 4 points which have cost us the title. >:( >:( >:( >:(

my god you nit pick over 2 games I was being general.... tbh though anal comments like this always seem to be the norm on this forum
FFS

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »

Against the bottom half teams we dominate with the fact , given lots of space we can pass the ball ..... against middle to top teams we have won because we have the 2 best strikers in the league and in wally a player that is in form ..... against the top teams that close us down we are a shambles in midfield completely outclassed  and lucky that we have a great centre backs . So  in the play offs im expecting us to be out-classed in midfield and not expecting much from them and in comparison to last year it is a little unfair due to the fact we had watmore that really excited us and bosh in the later part of the season that showed class and once you get used to that quality it is always a pain getting used to the real standard of this league.

I don't think so. Home draws with Oxford and Histon are the 4 points which have cost us the title. >:( >:( >:( >:(

And of course, no other team in this league has dropped points during the course of the season...  ???

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »

At the end of any season it is always tempting to look I back and say a load of 'what ifs'.  For me maybe January and the consecutive loses at Gainsborough and at home to Worcester were crucial. But then of course every team has points that are dropped when maybe they shouldn't have.  Ultimately it's an old cliche but you finish where you deserve over 42 games. Simple. And for whatever reason we deserve 2nd or 3rd. The playoffs however are a different matter all together - it's just about who can put a 3 game run together and we should be as confident as anyone.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Are we that bad?