PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best footy game ever
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best footy game ever  (Read 5330 times)

Red N White Dynamite

Best footy game ever
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:24:50 PM »

I have just purchased Sensible Soccer (International Edition) for the SNES for £4.99.

Best footy game ever or what!

Jenga

Re: Best footy game ever
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »

I had Sensible World of Soccer.

I agree the best football game ever.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:17 PM »

Surely these can't hold a candle to that marvellous football game: Striker?

Hours of fun pressing the players' heads and craftily kicking the ball behind the sofa when you were 1-0 up with only five minutes left to play...

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

Hours of fun pressing the players' heads and craftily kicking the ball behind the sofa when you were 1-0 up with only five minutes left to play...

Damn! I wish I'd thought of that!

Daycare Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »

I remember playing the Atari ST version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker_(sports_video_game)

But Sensi was always better, if hard to see!

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »

I never got the idea of subeuteo and I probably can't spell it.

I had striker but always felt it was too easy to over hit the ball and for the last 5 minutes I would be trying to find the minute ball under the sofa.

The Casdon soccer game was pretty good with a bumpy pitch resembling Droylsden circa 1999.

In the modern age I quite like FIFA on the PS2 but can remember many a happy hour trying to master the controls of the zx spectrum footie game by codemasters before it crashed.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:22:38 PM »

The Casdon soccer game was indeed a treat.
I was presented with the 'Bobby Charlton' edition circa 1970 and it whiled away many hours, especially when the ball got perilously trapped behind your goalkeeper.

A friend possessed the Big League football game, which was similar to Striker but involved pulling back the player's leg to kick the ball rather than pressing his head.

Oh, and don't get me started on blow football grudge matches against visiting relatives at Christmas....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:06:52 PM »

Blow football was a right con..two straws, a ping pong ball and a couple of goals also made out of straws in a box with kevin keegan on the front for a fiver.....all about ripping the young football fan off.

So in some ways it was years ahead of its time.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »

Given the nature of the "equipment" required, was it really necessary to buy it as a set?   :)

markecky

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »

In the modern age I quite like FIFA on the PS2 but can remember many a happy hour trying to master the controls of the zx spectrum footie game by codemasters before it crashed.

I can still remember my amazment when a game came out and you could redefine keys..I always used z and x for left and right, k and m for up and down and space so shoot.

Jacko

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »

Italia 90 on the MEGA DRIVE!!! :D i remember being able to score a goal with 5 overhead kick passes! 

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »

Premier manager for me, circa 1992.

In many ways I was well ahead of my time as I had cheating and money laundering down to a fine art.

You could have upto a 4 player game, so I would enter 4 teams, Alty, Macc, Vics and Wycombe. I took out huge overdrafts/loans/mortgages on the last 3, sold their best players, also sold the ones I wanted at Alty to us for the minimum price you could bid (imagine the other clubs fury at Tinson moving to Alty for £50k less than they had bid). I then sold them the likes of Lee Spencer, Steve Strange and Paul Jones for...well basically every penny they had before quitting as their supremo/chief assest stripper.  ;D

I then had the funds I wanted for Alty and turned Moss Lane into a palace as well, secretly used to throw games at the end of the season so I could have another succesful seadon in the conference, which alledgedly was de riguer at the time too.

O'Neill Donaldson, think he was at Doncaster, I know he went on to play for Sheff Wed in real life but he was THE man, had him in my side and he was Swindells esque! well 55 odd goals a season anyway 8)

Daycare Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »

The original FIFA on the Mega Drive, where all players looked the same, played the same, but you could run away from the ref and he could not book you until he caught you, bizzar!

I also had "Paul Gascoigne" football (or that could have been "Kick Off") on the Spectrum, the players were see through!

radcliffe alty

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »

It's Sensible Soccer for me on SNES everytime. Nearly failed my exams due to that game. I liked the whole raft of different teams you could have and had cracking games as my favourites 'Musical Instruments' against such footballing powers as 'Root Vegetables', and 'Big Band'.

And don't get me started on Goldeneye on the N64..........

radcliffe alty

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »

Oh......and World Cup on the Amstrad 64 had a cracking renedition of Match of the Day whilst loading but was the most frustrating game to play ever. Every player was slower than Gary Talbot and every shot took as long to get anywhere as a Steve Aspinall floated free kick....and invariably went just as wide of the target.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best footy game ever