PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Well done lads
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Well done lads  (Read 7122 times)

The Fan

Re: Well done lads
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:56 AM »

Great, gutsy display today and, on most other days, we would have got something out of the game. I personally think that Peyton should have slotted at left back with Whalley playing in the middle with Sedgemore. Aspinall has been a great servant to this club but his distribution is woeful and he is massively exposed at left back (not his fault I know). Any full back who is continually having to adjust and bring it onto his other foot (his right) is a liability - especially when he isnt that good at passing/crossing anyway.

Carlos looked a quality act but Im still undecided as to whether he needs to offer himself more or whether its simply a a case of getting it out there to him. Pottsy was excellent again and all bar one of his crosses caused problems (he seemed to realise early on that when your attackers are 5 inches smaller than the centre halfs, looping 50/50 balls in arent the way forward).

Chalmers talked a good game.

So on we go to the Cresent. If all is the same (eg those injured are still injured and Logan just had cramp), I would slot Peyton to left back, play Lawton and Whalley through the middle and give Pottsy a go.

Heres to a well earned away point on Tuesday.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »

This stuff about Azza.

'He's the worst footballer I've ever seen' - Christ you've not been watching very long then have you? 'The Fan' makes a number of good points, altho' I disagree that his passing is woeful - he came to us as a midfield player and can hit as good a pass as any at the club (look at the DVD from last year and the number of goals which arose from him). The trouble is that we haven't had a midfielder who is prepared / able to take the ball off the back four (this is where Bushell was such a disappointment), so more often than not the pressure is to 'get rid' or hit 30+ yard passes to, lets face it, a forward line which has problems holding the ball up from a purely physical point of view both in terms of size and strength. Hopefully a fit Gareth Whalley will gives us more options.

Is he a Conference standard left back - of course not -  its not as if Graham, Dalton or Azza doesn't know this but he's the only option we've got. What he does do is give 100% and very rarely misses from the spot - a very important source of goals for us over the last few years. I get as frustrated as anyone (and probably more than most) but slagging him off on the basis of his ability in a position where he would rather not play is a bit pointless - its not as if he flounces off because he's not been given a chance in central midfleld is it?

In my book he has been as important to our success over the past few seasons as Rod, Stuart or Eddie  precisely because he is a team player, prepared to do a job he's not best suited to. Ditto Bandy, Mad Dog, Scotty and the rest of the Unibond / Conf North team and like them its likely he'll not feature on a regular basis if we can get a better quality players because of the league we're in. However, until we do I think we should recognise what he's doing and when the injuries pile up I'd rather still have him on the books than have to go cap in hand in the loan market.

That said sounds like we might have turned a corner yesterday - come on everyone its only September.....

bighairedmike

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »

This stuff about Azza.

'He's the worst footballer I've ever seen' - Christ you've not been watching very long then have you? 'The Fan' makes a number of good points, altho' I disagree that his passing is woeful - he came to us as a midfield player and can hit as good a pass as any at the club (look at the DVD from last year and the number of goals which arose from him). The trouble is that we haven't had a midfielder who is prepared / able to take the ball off the back four (this is where Bushell was such a disappointment), so more often than not the pressure is to 'get rid' or hit 30+ yard passes to, lets face it, a forward line which has problems holding the ball up from a purely physical point of view both in terms of size and strength. Hopefully a fit Gareth Whalley will gives us more options.

Is he a Conference standard left back - of course not -  its not as if Graham, Dalton or Azza doesn't know this but he's the only option we've got. What he does do is give 100% and very rarely misses from the spot - a very important source of goals for us over the last few years. I get as frustrated as anyone (and probably more than most) but slagging him off on the basis of his ability in a position where he would rather not play is a bit pointless - its not as if he flounces off because he's not been given a chance in central midfleld is it?

In my book he has been as important to our success over the past few seasons as Rod, Stuart or Eddie  precisely because he is a team player, prepared to do a job he's not best suited to. Ditto Bandy, Mad Dog, Scotty and the rest of the Unibond / Conf North team and like them its likely he'll not feature on a regular basis if we can get a better quality players because of the league we're in. However, until we do I think we should recognise what he's doing and when the injuries pile up I'd rather still have him on the books than have to go cap in hand in the loan market.

That said sounds like we might have turned a corner yesterday - come on everyone its only September.....

Only disagree with the "he can hit a pass as well as any at the club". This is simply untrue. His distribution is pretty poor.

Totally agree with you on the rest though and agree that he has played a massive part in the clubs past five years or so.

Altyant

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »

Agreed with the distribution comments. He doesnt seem to look up before hand, and just puts his foot through it.

However he is an excellent servant for the club.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:54 PM »

So is Keith Davey but I'd not like to see the bugger playing left back :)

markecky

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »

So is Keith Davey but I'd not like to see the bugger playing left back :)

That what I was going to put, except may use Barry Pond!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Well done lads