News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stuart Coburn from the official site

Author Topic: Stuart Coburn from the official site  (Read 1555 times)

baldrick

« on: June 01, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »

Not sure i understand this. Are they saying he is the 17th best keeper outside the league? And professional? Is there something wrong here or have i had too much Ruddles?

"ENGLAND'S NUMBER ONE"
In the NLP's list of the Top 20 non-League goalkeepers, Stuart Coburn is named at number 17. He is described as "Something of a legend at Moss Lane... Coburn has made 435 appearances in over ten years with the club making him Altrincham's most senior professional. His only spell away was a single season with Leigh in 2002-03 when he won the club's player of the year award. Tall, commanding and ultra reliable, Coburn was a part of a much improved Altrincham defence that saw Graham Heathcote's men easily beat the drop this season. And 15 shut-outs in 43 games underlined his value to the side".

Jenga

Re: Stuart Coburn from the official site
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »

17th best ever in non league?

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »

joke he's that low down the table, but glad to see him on it none the less.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »

joke he's that low down the table, but glad to see him on it none the less.

I agree to some extent, but I suppose if you look at it another way, then maybe the paper or it's readers (whoever was the 'judge') is not that far off.

Altrincham were the 15th best team and and if all players were exactly equal, then we have the 15th best full backs, 15th best midfield etc.
Yes, the logic is a bit daft, but it is still a reasonable indicator. Our main striker is rated much higher than 15th as his goal tallies show, but there may be some players in the squad that would not make a top 24 in their position.
There are also some other very good keepers in the league and to be the 17th best non-league goalkeeper in England is still something to be proud of
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team