PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 2428 at the game & the end of a great cup run
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 2428 at the game & the end of a great cup run  (Read 17422 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 2428 at the game & the end of a great cup run
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »

Gutted about the result but we have money now to build, Also after some matches like Chester etc some people have asked
could the club cope with a big crowd anymore last showed it can may have been a few minor problems but everyone got in watched the game went home safely
no problems.
@AltyDaz

markecky

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

For the record, there were a few little things that annoyed me about last night, but I absolutely refuse to let them dampen what was essentially a decent occasion for our club, just unfortunately without the result we wanted. I think the sooner we realise it's not the Tony Sanders era anymore, the sooner we'll learn to give a bit of credit where it is due. We've had a cup run and made some money folks, it's a little bit of progress from recent years.

Absolutely no-one thinks it's still the Tony Sanders era. Indeed the point of making that kind of comparison is to show how things have changed since then, not just in terms of the quality of the players and the finances of the club but also in our whole attitude to the FA Cup. I'm just surprised at how much everyone's focussing on what a great night it was for the club (which I don't dispute in the least) and how little people are rueing the result. The money, the exposure, the chance to attract new fans, these are all important aspects of the FA Cup. But for me it's about glory. And we missed a great opportunity there.

Clearly I'm out of step with the mood of the forum today but there we are. I'm sure we'll all survive.

I think our attitude has changed to the FA Cup mate but we have had years of disappointment in it.

I also think that our attitude has changed for the better as this season has gone on.

The first aim was not to get humbled up in the North East by Shildon.  We did that and people started to wonder have we put this "no show in every big game" to bed.

Then we got Leek away and it looked like we could go tits up again but we went through professionally.

Then Boston away were we thought it might end but it didn't.

My attitude towards the FA Cup has changed but for the better this season.  I now don't think we'll be the victim of a lower league side scalp every time we play them.

Granted that's a long way from the days of sweeping past Burton in preparation for the third round but for many many reasons we have had to lose that attitude since 1994.

Maybe this could be the season we start to rebuild it?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »

I was only about 9 when Tony Sanders left the club, so I can't speak with any great authority about that era.

One of the things I loved about John King's attitude to the Cup though (and good to see the great man there last night) was that he hated the whole 'oh well, we've had a great day out and what did we expect anyway?' plucky non-league loser stuff. He wanted and expected to win, no matter what the opposition, and didn't allow all the extraneous aspects of a big cup tie to cloud the point of the thing which is to win it.

Our attitude to the Cup used to be different from other non-league teams, more professional and hard-nosed and less sentimental. But I guess when you've not beaten a league side for 20 years, it's not surprising that we've slipped back into plucky loser mode. And as Ecky says, let's hope the good cup run we've had this season is the start of us rebuilding our status in the competition.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »

I look at it as a re-introduction to the Cup run in a way because we had to start in September! Whilst disappointed in the result I'd have taken it when we were scrapping it out in the 2nd half at Leek, never mind being 1 down at Boston. In the glory days the Cup was as much about publicity and getting into the FL as it was about cash. These days we all know the greatest giant killers tag cuts no ice at Solihull or Vauxhall, whereas this £100k might. Who knows, Calvin's equaliser and the extra cash it got us could make a big difference come  April. 

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »

I wonder if perhaps the different views on the game are a product of how one watched it?

If you watched the game on tv then you are likely to analyse the game as a game and nothing more.

However, those that went will have experienced the crowd directly, heard positive comments, enjoyed seeing the ground full etc. and are therefore more likely to asses the game as not only a football match but an occasion.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »

I wonder if perhaps the different views on the game are a product of how one watched it?

If you watched the game on tv then you are likely to analyse the game as a game and nothing more.

However, those that went will have experienced the crowd directly, heard positive comments, enjoyed seeing the ground full etc. and are therefore more likely to asses the game as not only a football match but an occasion.

Or would being surrounded by happy people who'd enjoyed their night and weren't too bothered about the result only have made me even more furious?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »

Absolutely no-one thinks it's still the Tony Sanders era. Indeed the point of making that kind of comparison is to show how things have changed since then, not just in terms of the quality of the players and the finances of the club but also in our whole attitude to the FA Cup. I'm just surprised at how much everyone's focussing on what a great night it was for the club (which I don't dispute in the least) and how little people are rueing the result. The money, the exposure, the chance to attract new fans, these are all important aspects of the FA Cup. But for me it's about glory. And we missed a great opportunity there.

Clearly I'm out of step with the mood of the forum today but there we are. I'm sure we'll all survive.

I know what you're saying. From a personal perspective I was annoyed by some aspects of last night and I long for the day when we are winning these games again. I just don't think that's where we're at yet. Therefore, I'd rather focus on the positives.  :)

Come on Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

Comments on here about short throws from Stu and playing it around at the back.

I dont get the people critising this tactic. I can only assume you dont watch too much football.

It was plain to see that we were weaker in midfield than Burton, as we missed the bite in the middle of the park. We had players in the middle who were more trickier this time around with the missing Rodgers. In order for these trickier players to show themselves they needed room. You could see Burton sitting back and allowing us to hit their wall of midfield and defence.

Trying to create space and drawing burton to give our midfield more room seemed the right tactic to me. Had we had a more combative midfield then perhaps trying to create space would not be as necessary.

Anyway that is how i saw it.

fuertes

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »

I didn't have a problem with the short throw/kick out per se. But we seemed very casual when doing it and subsequently got tackled or sufficiently harried as to kick it out for their throw several times...

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »

I can see both sides of this and I don't think the differing viewpoints are actually that different. I don't think anyone can say they're not disappointed that we didn't go through and I also don't think anyone can say that they're not happy with the crowd last night, the TV exposure and the money gained from the run. This whole difference of opinion, such as it is, is really only one of emphasis.

It sort of feels like an opportunity missed, but then none of us expected that we would play as well as we did in the first game. I don't think we played as well as we might have last night, but we didn't play badly either. Burton were not miles ahead of us in class, but they were the better team on the night. We can point to Reeves blasting over the bar, but Zola could have had several last night if he'd have been more on form. Their two goals in the end were down to slips by us, I think Stu could have dnoe much better with the free-kick, but these things happen and how can you really criticise someone who has kept us in so many games in the past. If Havern hadn't of slipped in the box, they probably would not have scored the second. That's football, ifs, maybes, buts and what may have beens.

We are where we are. We are not the world beaters we once were, but we do have some exciting potential. We are back on the Cup map, we have increased revenue, let's get some league consistency and get back to where we belong. COME ON ALTY

(p.s. and yes, there's still a small part of me hurting from not getting a result......and no, I've not been trapping my knob in doors)
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »

whats all this about 1982,the team of greats was around 1977 to 1979
Harold

VofD

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »

Back on thread, it will be back to peace and quiet on Saturday : attendance of 638  ;) ;)

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »

still got to the 3rd round of the Cup & Final at Wembley in the Trophy in 82
so not too shabby.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

We won the Alliance Premier League in seasons 1979/80 and 1980/81.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »

Good summary from Uncle G.

We suspected it would be difficult to repeat the Burton away performance both on and off the pitch and I guess that we are all a bit dissapointed that neither the players nor the supporters quite reached those heights last night. 

However the positives far outweigh the negatives so lets concentrate on improving our home form in the league and getting into the play offs and as another bonus having a decent run in the Trophy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 2428 at the game & the end of a great cup run