Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the best goal you ever saw.... against alty!!
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: the best goal you ever saw.... against alty!!  (Read 4961 times)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Re: the best goal you ever saw.... against alty!!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »

Great name isn't it? He only played a few more games for them before going to play in America

As I remember it, wasn't he a on loan back to Southport for the league & cup tie against us during what was the US close season having been sold by Southport to a US team the previous season?

Jim, have you calmed down yet after reading the programme for the Southport away game at the end of the season? :D 

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »

Tbh Paul I have no recollection of whatever it is you are referring to

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »

the 3 first half goals that eastbourne scored on the day we got relegated were all absolute belters. I think the second one was the best - a volley with the outside of the foot from about 30 yards IIRC.

Yes, in typical Alty fashion, we seem to be on the end of incredible goals just when we are in most need of points. A couple that spring to mind are

1997 - A 1-2 defeat at home to Dover with about 4/5 games to go and needing to take something like 10 points to stay up. Leading 1-0 from a Bomber Harris goal (in itself slightly dubious having barged the goalkeeper). Dover get a free kick about 35 yards out shooting towards Golf Rd, a ridiculous distance anyway. Their absolute carthorse of a central defender, I mean a proper donkey, lines it up and just arrows it into the top corner. This was the original, he must have a foot like a traction engine strike. As the 8 Dover fans were celebrating they then attacked again and their striker flights a delightful chip in off the crossbar.

2000 - At home to Kingstonian in a similarly dire situation but having scored a 2nd minute dickie landon penalty, Ks midfielder Geoff Pitcher twists turns hammers in a missile at the chequers end.
And a couple of games later the night we were actually relegated, Stevenage's Barry Hayles, later to play for Fulham does us with two late Premier League quality finishes. thank for that.

Also, in the 1995/96 season (can't be sure) we drew 1-1 at home to Welling United. Their striker called Paul Gorman I think scored the cleanest scissor kick I think I ever saw at the Golf Road end, a cross from the left and bang, eat my goal. I think he got a move to Southend a month later on the basis of that.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »

Still Paul Scholes' half volley from outside the box in the Utd friendly. Then again, I've probably forgotten quite a few good goals. I seem to remember they used to fly in at Gateshead...
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the best goal you ever saw.... against alty!!