PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Injury list
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Injury list  (Read 24219 times)

bumble

Re: Injury list
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »

I don't, and won't, use Twitter and Facebook. If folk want info then slap it on the website. There are loads of Social Media applications out there, should we be spending time and money on updating all of those too? No thanks. Stick it on the main site and that's fine. 

Do you know how social media works? It doesn't cost anything.

I think he was probably referring to the fact that somebody would have to take the time (and therefore money) to update the twitter feed, the facebok page, the website, etc, etc

I quite like the idea of Alty pigeon post (a meal and a message in one).

That is what I was on about yes. The more apps you want to update the more you need to commit. Why just those two, why not all the other Social Media. Once you start it is increasingly hard to stop...so don't start.

Or you know some dead clever person could event an app that updates all of them at once. Perhaps name it something clever llike tweetdeck...

Hang on..

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »

John Edwards indicated on Radio Robins last night that there would be a full update on the injured and departed players in the coming days.

It shouldn't take this long, the lines of communication are terrible.

I agree. It was in response to my criticism of the lack of information from the club that John said an update was coming - I suspect in (slow) response to the many critical posts on here.
In the interests of clarity and fairness, I'd like to make one or two points, because a lot of the criticism on this thread has been unjust and, in some cases, downright inaccurate. To suggest news of injuries, fitness, suspensions, whatever, is deliberately withheld is just plain wrong. Going back to the days of Grahame Heathcote and then Ken McKenna, when I started as press officer, I've always interviewed the manager after a game, asked for team news as well as reaction to events on the pitch and then submitted the interview in full for use on the website. This season has been a little different, as other matters have overshadowed the usual everyday stuff, such as Neil Young making one signing after another then resigning. For each signing, I received a name and a one-sentence quote. It was up to me to research the player for background information and put together a reasonably detailed press release. Similarly, when Neil resigned, an appropriate statement had to be devised, followed by further information about the search for a new manager. That search ended 11 days ago, with the appointment of Jim Harvey. An initial same-day website article announcing Jim's arrival was followed within 24-48 hours by an in-depth interview with him. Since then, a week has elapsed. I agree supporters are fully entitled to expect news of injuries and availability, but what people don't seem to realise is I was working on it. You are out of order Laurence (Leon) in suggesting I'd only put together an injury update as a response to your criticism on Radio Robins. That was the inference in your post. Certainly, you went on to say you 'suspected it was a (slow) response to the many critical posts'. Again, absolutely wrong. I asked about injuries and availability last week, but the response, quite reasonably, was that we didn't want to alert the opposition to who might or might not be doubtful. That happens at all levels of football, week-in week-out. It was a response I became accustomed to from Premier League managers throughout my time as a sports writer. It's simply a case of timing, not deliberately keeping supporters in the dark, and the correct timing for releasing injury information was after the Nuneaton game, which was duly done. Also, for those wondering about social media, we do make use of it. Everything I send to John Laidlar for the website, I also send to Simon Brotherton, and he does a great job of posting on Facebook and Twitter. I'm not averse to criticism, if it is merited and informed. Additionally, a bit of realism wouldn't go amiss. If we could afford to employ a PR/press person, it would be reasonable to expect a daily flow of news and information. As it is, it's all done on a voluntary basis. Even so, I'd still hazard a guess our output of news and views at least matches other clubs of a similar standing.

John, my sincere apologies. Nothing that I said on here or on RR was intended as a criticism of you. What I was trying to say was that I'd mentioned on commentary that I wasn't sure where we were up to with certain injuries and that just gave you the cue to tell people an update was coming - I wasn't suggesting it was my comment that occasioned the whole thing. And my speculation that the update had been motivated by criticism on the forum was again not aimed at you but at the people who provide you with the information. That though was pure speculation and, it would seem, just plain wrong. So again, my apologies on that score.

I've never doubted that you and JL and Simon all post the information you get from the club as quickly as you can and I think you all do a great job. Your points about not wanting to tip the wink to other clubs and what a frantic time it's been are also good ones. But I do still wonder whether the club generally gives us, the fans, as much information as it could and as other equivalent clubs seem to. It feels at times like they don't but I don't know. Maybe we're actually more forthcoming than other clubs and this is just my frustration at this season coming out in other ways? Suffice it to say that knowing now that a fair few of our injured players are close to a return has made me feel a deal better about our prospects.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »

John Edwards indicated on Radio Robins last night that there would be a full update on the injured and departed players in the coming days.

It shouldn't take this long, the lines of communication are terrible.

I agree. It was in response to my criticism of the lack of information from the club that John said an update was coming - I suspect in (slow) response to the many critical posts on here.
In the interests of clarity and fairness, I'd like to make one or two points, because a lot of the criticism on this thread has been unjust and, in some cases, downright inaccurate. To suggest news of injuries, fitness, suspensions, whatever, is deliberately withheld is just plain wrong. Going back to the days of Grahame Heathcote and then Ken McKenna, when I started as press officer, I've always interviewed the manager after a game, asked for team news as well as reaction to events on the pitch and then submitted the interview in full for use on the website. This season has been a little different, as other matters have overshadowed the usual everyday stuff, such as Neil Young making one signing after another then resigning. For each signing, I received a name and a one-sentence quote. It was up to me to research the player for background information and put together a reasonably detailed press release. Similarly, when Neil resigned, an appropriate statement had to be devised, followed by further information about the search for a new manager. That search ended 11 days ago, with the appointment of Jim Harvey. An initial same-day website article announcing Jim's arrival was followed within 24-48 hours by an in-depth interview with him. Since then, a week has elapsed. I agree supporters are fully entitled to expect news of injuries and availability, but what people don't seem to realise is I was working on it. You are out of order Laurence (Leon) in suggesting I'd only put together an injury update as a response to your criticism on Radio Robins. That was the inference in your post. Certainly, you went on to say you 'suspected it was a (slow) response to the many critical posts'. Again, absolutely wrong. I asked about injuries and availability last week, but the response, quite reasonably, was that we didn't want to alert the opposition to who might or might not be doubtful. That happens at all levels of football, week-in week-out. It was a response I became accustomed to from Premier League managers throughout my time as a sports writer. It's simply a case of timing, not deliberately keeping supporters in the dark, and the correct timing for releasing injury information was after the Nuneaton game, which was duly done. Also, for those wondering about social media, we do make use of it. Everything I send to John Laidlar for the website, I also send to Simon Brotherton, and he does a great job of posting on Facebook and Twitter. I'm not averse to criticism, if it is merited and informed. Additionally, a bit of realism wouldn't go amiss. If we could afford to employ a PR/press person, it would be reasonable to expect a daily flow of news and information. As it is, it's all done on a voluntary basis. Even so, I'd still hazard a guess our output of news and views at least matches other clubs of a similar standing.

John, my sincere apologies. Nothing that I said on here or on RR was intended as a criticism of you. What I was trying to say was that I'd mentioned on commentary that I wasn't sure where we were up to with certain injuries and that just gave you the cue to tell people an update was coming - I wasn't suggesting it was my comment that occasioned the whole thing. And my speculation that the update had been motivated by criticism on the forum was again not aimed at you but at the people who provide you with the information. That though was pure speculation and, it would seem, just plain wrong. So again, my apologies on that score.

I've never doubted that you and JL and Simon all post the information you get from the club as quickly as you can and I think you all do a great job. Your points about not wanting to tip the wink to other clubs and what a frantic time it's been are also good ones. But I do still wonder whether the club generally gives us, the fans, as much information as it could and as other equivalent clubs seem to. It feels at times like they don't but I don't know. Maybe we're actually more forthcoming than other clubs and this is just my frustration at this season coming out in other ways? Suffice it to say that knowing now that a fair few of our injured players are close to a return has made me feel a deal better about our prospects.
No worries, Laurence, thanks for the response. It does matter to me that things are done as professionally as possible on the press and media front, and it does therefore irritate and frustrate me sometimes when people occasionally rush to judgement without necessarily having all the facts to hand. That said, I'd be the first to admit there is always room for improvement, and I am doing my best to try to increase the flow of news and information to the website. Believe me, I'll keep striving, because obviously I'd much rather have positive feedback than dissatisfaction over our efforts to communicate.

roytonmike

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »

Quoting John Edwards, "As it is, it's all done on a voluntary basis." People would do well to remember that before criticising the website, the PR or most other aspects of what goes on at Altrincham FC
Additionally, you can't make somebody say something (e.g. about injuries) if they don't want to.
Third and last - I'd like to know a lot of things. I have no right to know any of them, and in some cases there is an absolute imperative that I should not know certain things - that's called confidentiality. I completely accept those distinctions and I hope others do too.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »

I don't, and won't, use Twitter and Facebook. If folk want info then slap it on the website. There are loads of Social Media applications out there, should we be spending time and money on updating all of those too? No thanks. Stick it on the main site and that's fine.  

I think he was probably referring to the fact that somebody would have to take the time (and therefore money) to update the twitter feed, the facebok page, the website, etc, etc

That is what I was on about yes. The more apps you want to update the more you need to commit. Why just those two, why not all the other Social Media. Once you start it is increasingly hard to stop...so don't start.

Or you know some dead clever person could event an app that updates all of them at once. Perhaps name it something clever llike tweetdeck...

Hang on..

I've never heard of tweetdeck and doubt I'm the only one. As a man in his 40s I wasn't brought up with social media and the internet whereas people 20 years younger were so they probably find it quite bizarre that some have never heard of a lot of apps let alone don't know how to use them.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »

Hang on..

I've never heard of tweetdeck and doubt I'm the only one. As a man in his 40s I wasn't brought up with social media and the internet whereas people 20 years younger were so they probably find it quite bizarre that some have never heard of a lot of apps let alone don't know how to use them.

Yes, and there's also the fact that some of us actually choose what social media we buy into. Keep Facebook and tweet deck thanks, it's not for me. And for the record I work in IT and have got along just fine without it so far in life. There's nothing wrong with a website as a medium for distributing information to the fans. All this talk of dragging us all into the 21st century is naive nonsense.

bumble

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:19 PM »

Hang on..

I dont doubt nobdoy has heard of tweetdeck but its how you can run 8 different social media accounts from one person.

I for the record wasnt broughy up with social media. 2/3rds of my life were spent with out it.

The fact is the world changes. My grandparents use social media. Like many didnt get it, and gavie it a go and love it.

andrewflynn

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 06:50:07 PM »

The club doesn't run Facebook and Twitter accounts in an attempt to drag 50 year old John from Timperley into the 21st century. Everyone is more than entitled to go about acquiring information in whatever way they wish. No one has ever said "right, get Facebook or you'll just have to miss out."

The absolute fact of the matter is that if you want this club to expand its fan base, and acquire a new generation of supporters, then we're going to have to cater for them and their means of keeping up to date with the club. For them its Facebook and Twitter whether you all think its pointless (it isn't) or not.

bumble

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »

Its okay to admit youre not smart enough to use it xx

andrewflynn

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »

Viva la yoof x

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:21 PM »

The club doesn't run Facebook and Twitter accounts in an attempt to drag 50 year old John from Timperley into the 21st century. Everyone is more than entitled to go about acquiring information in whatever way they wish. No one has ever said "right, get Facebook or you'll just have to miss out."

The absolute fact of the matter is that if you want this club to expand its fan base, and acquire a new generation of supporters, then we're going to have to cater for them and their means of keeping up to date with the club. For them its Facebook and Twitter whether you all think its pointless (it isn't) or not.

That was actually the point I was trying to make,I just didn't do it very well! The majority of youngsters live their life on their mobile phones whereas the older generation use the internet in the spare time.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »

Freakin 'ek, I've only recently learnt how to send a text message

Steve from Sale - aged 58 and 11/12ths!!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »

100% correct.

ripleym

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »

It's not an age thing, it's a mindset thing.  Social media is ridiculously simple; my parents, both in their late 60s, have grasped it with ease.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »

It's not an age thing, it's a mindset thing.  Social media is ridiculously simple; my parents, both in their late 60s, have grasped it with ease.

Or a matter of choice
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Injury list