PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non-League Paper Article
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non-League Paper Article  (Read 6677 times)

GrahameRowley

Non-League Paper Article
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »

Having spoken to Geoff Goodwin this morning, with regard to the article in the non-league paper, he has asked me to apologise to our fans for the way the article has mis-reported his comments. When asked about the Halifax situation, he did not state "I don't want to be saved", but said that he felt sorry for the players of Halifax who are losing their livelihoods through no fault of their own. He wants Altrincham to play at the highest league possible, but continuing to play within our financial means. Geoff will be contacting the NLP regarding the article, to lodge his displeasure.

Alty365

Re: Non-League Paper Article
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »

Having spoken to Geoff Goodwin this morning, with regard to the article in the non-league paper, he has asked me to apologise to our fans for the way the article has mis-reported his comments. When asked about the Halifax situation, he did not state "I don't want to be saved", but said that he felt sorry for the players of Halifax who are losing their livelihoods through no fault of their own. He wants Altrincham to play at the highest league possible, but continuing to play within our financial means. Geoff will be contacting the NLP regarding the article, to lodge his displeasure.

After the Weymouth "quotes" and now this I think the NLP needs to have a serious look at how it is reporting on things! It simply isn't acceptable to keep misquoting people in this way.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Here is the report as it was printed:

Alty Chief: I don’t want to be saved!
Altrincham chairman Geoff Goodwin insists he takes no pleasure from the demise of Halifax – even though it will give Alty a BSP reprieve for the third year.
Incredibly, Graeme Heathcote’s side have finished inside the relegation zone in each of the last three seasons but survived due to the other clubs’ problems.
Last year Alty finished 21st but escaped when Boston were relegated from League 2 and plummet into NSN due to financial problems. A season earlier, the Lancastrian (sic) side finished rock bottom, only to see Scarborough go bust and Canvey Island resign from the league.
Whilst most chairmen would feel blessed, Goodwin admitted he was sad to see Halifax go and says staying up could do his club more harm than good.
“I take no pleasure from the situation and it doesn’t do us any favours,” he said “We could have done with a few years in Blue Square North to get our breath back.
“I’m not negative but I’m not happy that we’re back in it because I don’t want to be in it. It’s really hard work in the conference and the pressure does make people push the boat out as Halifax have found to their cost.
“But however unhappy I am, I’m twice as unhappy for them. I feel sorry for Halifax fans, I really do.
“Whether you support Halifax, Altrincham or Real Madrid you have the same passion for your club and they must be gutted.
It makes me feel sick that they’ve gone out of business because they were a good, long-standing club”
Hucknall, relegated from the BSN, will also get a reprieve, with the liquidation of Halifax having a knock-on effect throughout the pyramid.

Lancastrian FFS!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:41:53 PM by Flagger M »

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

How can a national newspaper misquotes somebody that badly. The club should consider some form of action because this is happening on a regular basis.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »

I'd actually come on the site this morning to write an 'open letter' to GG about the comments attributed to him in this morning's NLP.
It's an enormous relief to know he didm't actually say them.

I don't wish to be controversial - or extremist - in my opinions, but if a chairman of Alty ever did say them, (i.e. wished we would be relegated) I would never go through the turnstiles again until he had left the club.

GG should seriously consider either suing the NLP or at least demanding that they publish a retraction/explanation.

I was choking on my muesli this morning!  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »

Having read through it three times the only thing I can see wrong with what the NLP printed was the heading, which was probably put in by a sub-editor who hadn't read it properly.

I haven't bought the NLP since the play-off win over Kettering where the match report was written by someone who obviously wasn't there.

If you want all the Conference news you only need to read John Laidlar's work on the club website.

Longman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

“I take no pleasure from the situation ans it doesn’t do us any favours,” he said “We could have done with a few years in Blue Square North to get our breath back.
“I’m not negative but I’m not happy that we’re back in it because I don’t want to be in it. It’s really hard work in the conference"

Please please please can someone confirm that he did not actually say this!??

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

it's only the same opinion he expressed when the same thing happened last year

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »

I think we just need to find out from Geoff exactly what he did say, and ask him at the Forum on Thursday

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »

“I’m not negative but I’m not happy that we’re back in it because I don’t want to be in it. It’s really hard work in the conference"

Yes, That's the bit which stuck in my throat.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Longman

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

Yes, That's the bit which stuck in my throat.

It's extremely hard to swallow as a supporter of the club, surely he can't have been taken out of context to the extent that he didn't say something along those lines!??

I know Geoff has done alot of good for the club but surely we have to be more ambitious, especially as we've got another bite at the cherry in the conference!  We should be striving to play at the highest level we possibly can and finish as high as we possibly can, as players, as fans, as the board!!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »

I 100% agree with you, Longman.
Not only that, when you think what our gates would drop to and the loss of other income associated with being in the BSP, I can't think that we would be very much better off anyway, would we?

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

I felt annoyed when I first read this article this morning.
As said, the whole ARTICLE needs clarification, not just one sentence. ???

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »

After the Weymouth "quotes" and now this I think the NLP needs to have a serious look at how it is reporting on things! It simply isn't acceptable to keep misquoting people in this way.

I have still to see any article in the Non League Paper that apologises for attributing those post Weymouth match comments to GH.
Surely they are obliged to print a retraction if they have been found to have invented quotes?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:15:26 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jenga

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »

If they have miss quoted him then it is one hell of a big miss quote.

This report has me worried about any ambition we may have, surely a report can not be miss represented to such a degree.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non-League Paper Article