PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New Manager for next season
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: New Manager for next season  (Read 44398 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New Manager for next season
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »

Players just arriving at the ground (Moss Lane) now.  I wonder if it is to meet the new manager? 

They are in their club tracksuits so maybe they will do a btit of training, warm up, practice to show him what they can do?

RESERVES AT THE JDS

On Monday night (24th) at 7.45pm, the Reserves play Congleton Vale at the J Davidson Stadium, Moss Lane, and entry is free of charge. The Reserves drew 3-3 at home to Malpas on Saturday.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky2

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »

It's a sad state of how far we have fallen that some could even make a case for him to be manager. We've forgotten what good performances are and some of the adjectives used to describe play when we hit the heights of average were verging on propaganda.  They have been badly let down by players though, some on damn good money as well which much be very frustrating for them.

It's nothing personal on Matt and Robbie who have clearly worked damn hard but the time is wrong.  You can't take those stats into next season and start with any sort of optimism. A draw at home on the opening day and a 2-1 defeat away at some outpost on the Tuesday and we start the whole thing over again. 

He'd be best keeping his dignity, having a break and giving someone good service next year with a fresh start.

As for the new manager I think we have to look a bit deeper than "what have they won".  All these guys interviewed will have done a presentation on what they want to do, how they want to play, thoughts on youth and reserves etc and contacts etc.  Their conduct in the interview and their demands are another factor. If we can catch a manager on the way up with the right ideas then we can be a force in that league I am sure of it if we can unite people and pull together.

Jimmy

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:31 PM »

The level Rowley has took us we can't really ask for a manager who has won anything,I'm not sure I can suggest a manager because I know nothing of football at this level iv never payed much attention as I didn't think Alty would be so low.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:21:13 PM by Jimmy »

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »

Along with, what seems, the majority expressing views on here, I agree that appointing MD as manager would have been unthinkable.  If we are to enter next season with any sense of optimism a new appointee is essential.  The fairness or otherwise of this is open to debate given what Matt and Robbie were asked to take on, but I think that the modest improvement that was seen initially was not enough to break the 'culture of losing' that seems to have become entrenched among the current cohort.  I'm disappointed that RL will probably not remain on the staff as he seemed to offer a more realistic and composed view than MD, I lean firmly towards thinking that, in the future, Robbie could be a real asset to the club.  At present we all have to hope that whoever the incoming manager is, he gets it right from the outset and builds momentum from the off.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »

It's a sad state of how far we have fallen that some could even make a case for him to be manager. We've forgotten what good performances are and some of the adjectives used to describe play when we hit the heights of average were verging on propaganda.  They have been badly let down by players though, some on damn good money as well which much be very frustrating for them.

As much as Matt Doughty has been let down by the players on the pitch, I think he has equally let himself down by his own conduct off the pitch at times.

I was never impressed with the way he tried to carry favour when he first came in by publicly distancing himself from Jim Harvey and slagging him off. He might have been right or he might not have been, but as an ex-assistant you don’t sit and slag your ex-boss the minute he’s out the door and you have his job.

He then made every interview he did as manager all about Matt Doughty. It’s been like watching/reading his own personal diary for the past 5 months. No-one wants to hear how fantastic/improved we have been after another regulation 2-0 defeat, and that the lads are all playing for the manager. I don’t want to hear how good they are in training (every week!) for him, and how much effort they are putting in. For him. Funnily enough, what I actually want to hear is that they are as sh*t on a Thursday night as they are on a Saturday afternoon. Perversely, I would have found that more reassuring at times.

His social media conduct has hardly been befitting of a paid football manager either. In fact it’s been downright embarrassing at times. That includes his weird mates who keep popping up and telling everyone what a great lad he is and how he definitely needs to be our manager next season.

And publicly slagging off the judgement of the board (get to the back of the queue…!) when they opened up the job to applicants, despite his abysmal points return? Seriously? Did he really think that was ever going to help his job prospects?

The childish outburst on Twitter yesterday said it all really.

All that said, we can only hope the new manager has as much enthusiasm for the football club as Matt Doughty clearly does, and puts in half the effort that Matt has, and holds the job of ‘Altrincham manager’ in such high esteem. We will have a much better chance of success for next season if he does.

As for the new manager I think we have to look a bit deeper than "what have they won".  All these guys interviewed will have done a presentation on what they want to do, how they want to play, thoughts on youth and reserves etc and contacts etc.  Their conduct in the interview and their demands are another factor. If we can catch a manager on the way up with the right ideas then we can be a force in that league I am sure of it if we can unite people and pull together.

Yes, I agree. I actually think it’s a decent enough appointment (if the twitter announcements are true), although along with everyone else that’s not the first time I’ve thought that in the past 12 months and so we shouldn’t be surprised if the reception appears ‘lukewarm’ this time round.
Maybe it’s just me, but when we make the announcement (I mean the proper one later this week, not the one from Matt Doughty’s lot on Twitter) I would like to see him described as a “young up-and-coming manager with an array of local contacts and who knows the level” rather than us exaggerating or inventing past achievements.

As for uniting people, I think what happens off the pitch might have more of an influence on that than who the manager is, or a few early wins against Barwell, Grantham and Coalville. But we’ll see I suppose.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »

Does anyone know who is taking the team at Tamworth on Saturday? Are Matt and Robbie seeing the season through, or have they left with immediate effect?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »

I would hazzard guess its Gary Jones and Densmore
Full time and proud of it

York Alty is back

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »

Does anyone know who is taking the team at Tamworth on Saturday? Are Matt and Robbie seeing the season through, or have they left with immediate effect?

No need for MD or RL to be there.

Technically speaking we have yet another manager!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

As Gary Jones was brought in as a player and appointed as a coach by Matt Doughty, he might feel that it would not be appropriate to run the team on Saturday in the circumstances. However, playoff results may mean that a new permanent manager becomes available earlier than expected.

taxi Phil

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »

As Gary Jones was brought in as a player and appointed as a coach by Matt Doughty, he might feel that it would not be appropriate to run the team on Saturday in the circumstances. However, playoff results may mean that a new permanent manager becomes available earlier than expected.
Isn't he still Southport's player anyway ?

GB Alty

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »

Lets hope so

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »

I'll do it
ParkINson's red and white army

taxi Phil

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »

I'll do it
Is this another attempt to get up close and personal with a certain player ?

Matt Taylor

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »

Fair point. If Doughty has been told the right man, then you would perhaps expect him to be free by Saturday. But even so, I'd prefer to draw a fresh line under this season, on the pitch, after Saturday and not have him in any way associated with the current shambles.

I'm really hoping they win tonight and he will be otherwise engaged on Saturday. The less of this lot we see again next season the better, and the last thing we need right now is people like James Lawrie suddenly looking like Messi in front of a new manager at Tamworth.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »

the last thing we need right now is people like James Lawrie suddenly looking like Messi in front of a new manager at Tamworth.
There's a better than even chance your wish will be granted
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New Manager for next season