PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Longest Free Goal EVER?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest Free Goal EVER?  (Read 7479 times)

Jenga

Longest Free Goal EVER?
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »

Is it possible Michael Welch could go in the record books for the longest free kick resulting in a goal?

Alex

Re: Longest Free Goal EVER?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »

doubt it, think it was roughly 70 yarder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HAib_kk9A (open play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecaGCSmZfAQ (free kick)

joe

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »

doubt it, think it was roughly 70 yarder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HAib_kk9A (open play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecaGCSmZfAQ (free kick)

I don't think Welch's was too far off the same distance as this free kick!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »

Hmm, bit misleading those, the first one is a goal keepers clearance that is misjudged by the other keeper. That free kick is a punt into the box that the keeper has misjudged despite being on his line.

Welchy's goal today was a genuine 'Beckham' effort as they say except so much better. I genuinely think that is the greatest goal I have seen in 25 years of watching Alty for the following reasons.

It was deliberate.

It was halfway between the edge of the centre circle and the edge of our 'd'

He looked up and meant it.

There was hardly any run up.

It wasn't wind assisted either.

The keeper wasn't at fault, he was only a yard or so away from getting it, he actually had no chance.

The ball didn't bounce, it was as straight as a die.

I'm still genuinely astounded sat here typing now, we'll see a lot more of this goal over the next few years. Truely incredible.

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »

Ryan McCann scored an 80 yarder for Queen of the South. I can't find it on youtube but there is a match report here http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/scottish-cup/2008/03/09/queen-of-the-south-2-0-dundee-78057-20345516/

Tom N.V.F.C

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:36 AM »

He scored a goal from open play like that last season from us. He was just behind the half way line and got the equaliser for us, drew 3-3 with droylesden on the night, sure u can still watch that on youtube  8)

Think he also scored a cracker for Accy Stanley against stockport the season they came up to the league, again im sure you could dig the clip out in youtube

So he's very capible of scoring goals like that

Hopfully a clip is put up of his goal from yestaday, id love to see it :)

markecky

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »

It was truly amazing.

And from a man who ten out of ten vics fans said was too fat to get out his car.

RocketDan

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnRF5Nfdo0

got to 1:09.

they say its glenn murray but i believe its Michael Welch.

he must have a foot like a traction engine.

Little CamVic

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »

It was truly amazing.

And from a man who ten out of ten vics fans said was too fat to get out his car.

All this from a man who...errrr....none out of ten Vics fans said was too fat to get out of his car but who ten out of ten said was overweight.   ::)

Just as he was when he signed for you five weeks ago. I'm sure given that he's had more playing time, he's looking much more like his old self.

When Michael Welch's career is over, a DVD of all his goals will make fantastic viewing.

viennaalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »

Gutted I wasn't there to see the goal yesterday. It got me thinking about other long range efforts though...from my memory:

1) Coburn at Canal St around 1998??
2) Mark Ogley at Moss Lane in the early to mid nineties. I don't think it was from his own half but probably the centre circle and if I remember it was a wayward pass that bounced over the keeper's head in around the 86th minute. Anyone else remember this? I think the game finished 1-0 and it was pretty awful. No doubt Flynny/Cult can add some info here.

Did Tony Kelly ever score from a ridiculous distance too? I recall him hitting the bar a few times (he was probably doing that after the game as well  ;D)

joe

Longest free
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »

Seem to remember Andy Green scoring from near the half way line at Moss Lane. No idea who against though.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »

Gutted I wasn't there to see the goal yesterday. It got me thinking about other long range efforts though...from my memory:

2) Mark Ogley at Moss Lane in the early to mid nineties. I don't think it was from his own half but probably the centre circle and if I remember it was a wayward pass that bounced over the keeper's head in around the 86th minute. Anyone else remember this? I think the game finished 1-0 and it was pretty awful. No doubt Flynny/Cult can add some info here.

Couldn't resist....

(1) Stuart Coburn scored in a 3-0 victory at a muddy and windswept Runcorn on Boxing Day 1998.
He also saved a penalty in that match - surely a rarely seen double?

(2) Mark Ogley's bizarre goal occurred in a 1-0 win against Kidderminster Harriers at Moss Lane on 11th September 1993.
He punted a clearance from inside his own half towards the Chequers End, which the visitors' keeper Ron Green misjudged and the ball proceeded to bounce over his head and into the vacant net.
It was possibly from roughly the same distance as Welch's free kick yesterday but was definitely an unintentional attempt on goal, whereas Welch's phenomenal shot yesterday was a deliberate and inspired piece of skill and vision.

Didn't Stan Allan once score from just inside his own half at Bath City in the early 1980s?
Mister Flynn, can you verify this one?     
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Longest free
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 05:36:49 PM »

Seem to remember Andy Green scoring from near the half way line at Moss Lane. No idea who against though.

joe,

That Andy Green goal came in a 3-0 win against Halifax Town at Moss Lane on 23rd September 1995.

I seem to recall that he volleyed the ball near the halfway line and it sailed over the keeper's head and into the net at the Golf Road End.

Green was undoubtedly a madman at times....but also a much better player than some people gave him credit for.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:58:08 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »

Whilst all of Clive Freeman's goals were absolutely brillliant one sticks in my mind for distance alone. Does anyone else remember it.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round at home to Sheffield FC. We won 3-0/ He scored with a right footed (half?) volley from circa 45 yards i.e. the left back position that sailed into the far top corner of the net at the Golf ROad end.

Or did I just imagine this?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

Couldn't resist....

(1) Stuart Coburn scored in a 3-0 victory at a muddy and windswept Runcorn on Boxing Day 1998.
He also saved a penalty in that match - surely a rarely seen double?

(2) Mark Ogley's bizarre goal occurred in a 1-0 win against Kidderminster Harriers at Moss Lane on 11th September 1993.
He punted a clearance from inside his own half towards the Chequers End, which the visitors' keeper Ron Green misjudged and the ball proceeded to bounce over his head and into the vacant net.
It was possibly from roughly the same distance as Welch's free kick yesterday but was definitely an unintentional attempt on goal, whereas Welch's phenomenal shot yesterday was a deliberate and inspired piece of skill and vision.

Didn't Stan Allan once score from just inside his own half at Bath City in the early 1980s?Mister Flynn, can you verify this one?     

He certainly did.I think that it may well have been on our first ever visit to Twerton Park around Easter 1980.......it was a really scabby goal!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Longest Free Goal EVER?